Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good optician Limerick City

• 06-12-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody can recommend a good optician please? Preferably in the city.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

After years with specsavers in the crescent and their sloppy work I moved to Vision 2 on Sarsfield st opp Debenhams. Very happy but they do go on the hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Leonita

Thanks James! That's what I'm trying to avoid. Several people who have gone to those chains ended up getting glasses when they were not needed so that's why I'm looking for an independent optician :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fines on Catherine St/Cecil St - opposite Fla's Pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

The only optician I can speak highly off is Margaret Pearse in Tipp town, She is also a GP. If you can travel well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The ones out in castltroy park medical centre are fantastic moved from specsavers would never go anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Can they provide your eye prescription?
    The ones out in castltroy park medical centre are fantastic moved from specsavers would never go anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

+1 for Vision 2

Thanks all for the recommendations. You have provided lots of suggestions. Somebody mentioned Fines but iirc is Mr Fine not retired in recent years? Are the people mentioned in various medical centres opticians or gps that do eye tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Can they provide your eye prescription?

I use Castletroy Opticians and they give me the eye test results everytime no problem, Just ask and they print it out for you with all the information needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I haven't been myself, but a friend and family member both go to Castletroy Park Opticians and swear by them.

Specsavers are a nightmare (in the Crescent anyway, I can't speak for the others) Mr Crumble wears glasses for reading. Got new ones lately, got them home and he said he couldn't see properly with them, but thought it was just because they were new and his prescription had changed slightly (still a very mild prescription though). After about 3 days, he went back there and was told it would 'just take a bit of time to get used to them'. A couple of days later and he had to go back again because he couldn't read with them on. He met someone different and they went off again to check what was going on.

Turned out they'd put the wrong lenses in his frames and he had someone else's prescription. Bad enough getting someone else's prescription in the opticians, but just as well whatever idiot did it doesn't work as a pharmacist eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you. So we are not forced to buy eyeglass from them as this happens at Specsavers.

Would Castletroy Optician do PRSI based free vision test?
    Mockba wrote: »
    I use Castletroy Opticians and they give me the eye test results everytime no problem, Just ask and they print it out for you with all the information needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Thank you. So we are not forced to buy eyeglass from them as this happens at Specsavers.

Would Castletroy Optician do PRSI based free vision test?

No your not forced and they do prsi eye test also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

I've used Hartmans since 1977 and have always had excellent service there.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've used Hartmans since 1977 and have always had excellent service there.

+1 for Hartmans (over Foot Comfort, opp Arthur's Quay) Have had good advice and service for the past six years or so. I used to use Specsavers, but found it too rushed, too many people involved and not very relaxing trying to pick frames.

leo78 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the recommendations. You have provided lots of suggestions. Somebody mentioned Fines but iirc is Mr Fine not retired in recent years? Are the people mentioned in various medical centres opticians or gps that do eye tests?

Are you confusing Fines jewelers who closed their shop on Cecil St? Fines opticians were definitely open up to recently.

phog wrote: »
    Are you confusing Fines jewelers who closed their shop on Cecil St? Fines opticians were definitely open up to recently.

No the optician himself. It might be about 4 years or so now that I heard he was retiring

leo78 wrote: »
    No the optician himself. It might be about 4 years or so now that I heard he was retiring

I met the man himself there in the last 12 months, he might well have retired since then.

phog wrote: »
    I met the man himself there in the last 12 months, he might well have retired since then.

That's good to know. Didn't even consider there until you said that. He's around a long time so might go there.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

After years with specsavers in the crescent and their sloppy work I moved to Vision 2 on Sarsfield st opp Debenhams. Very happy but they do go on the hard sell.

There's one really good optician in Specsavers in the Crescent that my family all swear by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Get your FREE prescription from a reputable optician (I used Fines, some years back) then head over to www.daysoft.com for lenses and zenni.com for glasses. I'm actually wearing a pair that cost less than a tenner, and getting plenty of compliments on them. Have 2 more 'spare' pairs... yet to be used! The latest cost 6.99!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Going to Delaney's since I was a child, very relaxed in there, they're on Thomas St a few doors up from Sally's.

They've some free frames for medical card I think or you can buy a pair, think it's 50% deposit.
    I've gotten glasses off goggles4u and they've given me my prescription to get them (heard Specsavers don't seem to want to let you have it?)

Advertisement