Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Claims Discount not carried over from old insurer

Options
  • 06-12-2019 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I was covered by Aviva until January 2019.
    Aviva issued me an NCD statement in January 2019 confirming I have 5 years+ claims free. It's actually over 10 years in total but I understand 5years+ is the top of Aviva's scale.

I switched to Axa in January 2019. Now their renewal document states I have 1 year claims free on their policy but am at point 5 on the AXA NCD Scale. This is the highest point on the scale.

If looking for quotes from other Insurer's how many years NCD should I state I have and will the Axa NCD Certificate be interpreted as 1 year NCD, 5 years or more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would confirm what NCD you have with AXA and let them know that 1 year is very much a mistake i.e. you provided proof of 5+ when policy started. Any new company will want proof from your last insurer so you will need it corrected and confirmed.

Also, if they have over charged you based on this error I'd be looking for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

theteal wrote:
    I would confirm what NCD you have with AXA and let them know that 1 year is very much a mistake i.e. you provided proof of 5+ when policy started. Any new company will want proof from your last insurer so you will need it corrected and confirmed.

It's not a mistake. What they are stating on their bonus is that they have held the policy for one year which is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

CrankyHaus wrote:
    If looking for quotes from other Insurer's how many years NCD should I state I have and will the Axa NCD Certificate be interpreted as 1 year NCD, 5 years or more?

Tell them you have 6 years. Some will actually allow a 6 year bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks all. I think I'll just do it over the phone and explain the situation to each Insurer I request a quote from

• Registered Users Posts: 4 insuranceman

Axa bonus' are a bit tricky to read. What they are saying is that you are 1 years claims free with axa themselves.

Then they usually say your percentage discount allowed for this policy is equal to 50% or 75% depending on whether you are through a broker or not. They then say that that percent is equal to a point on scale of 5/6.

So to summarize that document is valid up to 5+ years, same as your Aviva one.

Side note, the likes of Allianz or Liberty actually give out discounts to as high as 9 years. So always keep your NCB from previous years so you can add them together as proof of more than 5 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement