Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name opinion

Options
  • 07-12-2019 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all, what do people think of the boys name Fiáin? Pronounced feen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

Jasminecat wrote: »

I always think any name where the child will have to spell it for the rest of their life to anyone that asks their name is a no.

I’m pretty sure calling someone a feen is an insult in either limerick or cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

My only issue with it would be that the child will have to correct people on the pronunciation and spelling of their name forever more. It’s not a name I’ve heard before and I wouldn’t like to put you off but it would be a concern of mine. When we were talking about baby names I liked the name Rian but had the same concerns over the people pronouncing it Ryan or calling him Ian by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Well that pronunciation is wrong for a start

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Surely with the fada on the a it would have to be pronounced something like fee-awn? There's no way it could be pronounced feen with that spelling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Feen is a slang word in Cork for man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Feeawn grand. Feen no.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. It’s not pronounced ‘feen’ if you spell it like that. Your thinking of Fín.
    2. Don’t call him Fín. He’ll go through life thinking he was named after a bit of a fish. Also, Fín isn’t a name.
    3. If you’re not a gaelgeóir, but would like to give him a cool and slightly obscure Irish name, why not go with Cabáiste? Or Eitleán?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Finn is a grand name. Fionn I've never really cared for but at least it's an actual name. Fiáin is ridiculous and is not pronounced "feen" if that fada is over the a.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

If you want to give your kid an Irish name at least give it the right spelling for the pronunciation you want. Fadas matter!
    A fada on the a gives an aww sound, if you want an ee sound you need it on the i.
    What you've spelled is pronounced fe- awn. It also means wild, you could be jinxing yourself giving a kid a name like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jasminecat

• Advertisement

😂 Ha u lot are fierce!

Just stick that link on every single form the kid will ever need and you'll be alright.

😂 Ha u lot are fierce!

Fiérce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

none of those pronunciations sound like feen, the munster dialect slightly more than the others but it's very clearly a two syllable world in all 3 dialects and in how its spelled. There are people who will know how it's pronounced by how it looks on a page without you giving them the link to teanglann.ie, and how it's pronounced is not feen!

Okay mayb my pronunciation is spelt a bit of, but I am in munster and I would pronounce it fee-in. I thought the name would be male version of the name Fiadh

Perhaps I'm a bit boring, but what's wrong with Jack, Paul, Stephen, Michael, etc?

A name should be something used to ID someone, so they can get on with their life. Not an additional eye-rolling hurdle to have to contend with in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

None of them pronounce it "feen" though. I would pronounce it Fee- awn too, because of the fada. My kids have unusual names so I am not against picking uncommon names but you would have to be confident about it. People can be quite rude about names that aren't in the Top 10 lists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Fee-in, then drop the fada. The fadas aren’t decorations, They really do change how words are pronounced. Or put it over the i.
    I’m one of those people though who wouldn’t be giving children semi-made up names. There is a trend the last few years of giving kids “Irish” names that nobody Irish has ever heard of. Irish names are lovely, but if they’re mispronounced everywhere the child goes it might wear thin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm with all the others, you'd pronounce that Fee-awin.

You can't just ignore the fada. It's like saying, "I'm going to call my son Jack. Pronounced Sam."

It's just silly!

Call him whatever you like OP.
    Don't worry one bit about what anyone thinks. If it was up to people on boarda there would be about 20 'normal' names in the country!
    I have spent my name as long as I have had to give it to people, it's easy to say but spelt differently to what you would expect. It's no big deal. I worked overseas & imagine, everyone spells & pronounces their name to everyone.
    It's not an issue & don't let anyone influence your choice.
    Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Perhaps I'm a bit boring, but what's wrong with Jack, Paul, Stephen, Michael, etc?

A name should be something used to ID someone, so they can get on with their life. Not an additional eye-rolling hurdle to have to contend with in life.

There's enough Jacks on this island to make a giant beanstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Imagine Salma Hayek was called Mary. Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

endacl wrote: »
    3. If you’re not a gaelgeóir, but would like to give him a cool and slightly obscure Irish name, why not go with Cabáiste? Or Eitleán?

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Its not pronounced feen...

Its a ridiculous name to be honest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

endacl wrote: »

Mon petit chou...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭riddles

The Chinese give themselves western names to overcome the problem you are discussing creating. I’m forever on work conf calls where a localised name is a point of discussion even “Eoin” is something people abroad can’t pronounce “E-on”.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No, don't call him that.

Okay and if it were to be pronounced Fiáin (fee-awn) what do people think of that?

riddles wrote: »
    The Chinese give themselves western names to overcome the problem you are discussing creating. I’m forever on work conf calls where a localised name is a point of discussion even “Eoin” is something people abroad can’t pronounce “E-on”.

Well I think different cultures are beautiful and if globslly we were to name things and make processes all the same just to make a work conference call easier for you the world would be incredibly dull. I'm not saying by me picking a name is exciting or adding to culture just think you rationalisation is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Okay and if it were to be pronounced Fiáin (fee-awn) what do people think of that?

Fee-awn sounds like you're stretching out Fionn sarcastically.

Advertisement