Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name opinion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Whatever you're into but he's going to have some life having to spell and pronounce his name to absolutely everyone

From my own teenage years it could be quite embarrassing to certain people if teachers were constantly mispronouncing their names on role calls and so on.

I'm personally a fan of rarer enough names in general though, but harsh sounding extreme Irish names - nope I'm afraid :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jasminecat

jr86 wrote: »
    Whatever you're into but he's going to have some life having to spell and pronounce his name to absolutely everyone

From my own teenage years it could be quite embarrassing to certain people if teachers were constantly mispronouncing their names on role calls and so on.

I'm personally a fan of rarer enough names in general though, but harsh sounding extreme Irish names - nope I'm afraid :o

I have an Irish name myself that is hard to pronounce and spell and have lived abroad and wasn't bothered by it. Oh I thought it would be similar to Fiadh, which has become very popular name only on the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't mean to be rude op, but personally I think it's awful.

I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but kids names in Ireland have taken a turn for the worse over recent times. I suspect many parents are trying to make their kids unique. And really obscure names are one way to do this.

But do you want your child to spend the rest of it's days having to spell their name out?

The number of Caitlíns I have seen in recent years is staggering. All by parents who don't want to spell it like everyone else, so they just create new ways of spelling it themselves.

Caitlín
    Katelyn
    Caitlyn
    Katelin
    Katelynn

Seen them all in local papers.

Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Call your baby whatever name you like, who cares if random strangers on the internet aren't partial to it? But use a name you actually know-how to pronounce. "Feen" would remind me of grotty young lads in tracksuits hanging around Cork city, but to each their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Jasminecat wrote: »
    I have an Irish name myself that is hard to pronounce and spell and have lived abroad and wasn't bothered by it. Oh I thought it would be similar to Fiadh, which has become very popular name only on the past few years

We're all different though

To some a rare unprouncable name can be a very sensitive subject, to others a badge of honour, but personally speaking anyway I can't see this name ever being the latter for anyone - sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Okay and if it were to be pronounced Fiáin (fee-awn) what do people think of that?

If you pronounce the first syllable of the name on the exhale, and the second syllable of the name on the inhale, you sound like a donkey.

Irish names are nice, but think of your child, will he be ridiculed for having an unusual name? I can tell you for a fact, as somebody living abroad, having an Irish name is a daily chore. People look at you as if you are an alien. If you like the name so much, use it as a middle name or change your own name to Fiáin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I love Irish names but this one sounds too like "fiend"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Jasminecat are you even a speaker of the native tung .
    If not I would not name your child that.
    But at the end of the day it's your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Fee-awn sounds like you're stretching out Fionn sarcastically.

Yeah! It sounds like an English person's attempt at pronouncing Fionn after you've made several attempts at correcting them
    'Finn?"
    'No no. There's a slight y sound .
    'Fye-own?''
    Err, no. Try again '
    'Fee-yawn? '
    'It's OK. You can call me Finn....'

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude op, but personally I think it's awful.

I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but kids names in Ireland have taken a turn for the worse over recent times. I suspect many parents are trying to make their kids unique. And really obscure names are one way to do this.

But do you want your child to spend the rest of it's days having to spell their name out?

The number of Caitlíns I have seen in recent years is staggering. All by parents who don't want to spell it like everyone else, so they just create new ways of spelling it themselves.

Caitlín
    Katelyn
    Caitlyn
    Katelin
    Katelynn

Seen them all in local papers.

Don't do it!

And it's pronounced 'Kochleen'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ericsinjun wrote: »

It's pronounced Kawtleen!

Call your baby whatever name you like, who cares if random strangers on the internet aren't partial to it? But use a name you actually know-how to pronounce. "Feen" would remind me of grotty young lads in tracksuits hanging around Cork city, but to each their own.

No harm but the op asked for the opinion of random strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ericsinjun wrote: »

Cockleen?

Between Cabaiste, Eitlean, Fiend and now Cockleen, this thread is unintentionally brilliant.

On the name OP, it's too like a cross between Fionn and Finn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I thought the name would be male version of the name Fiadh

The "male" version of Fiadh (deer-ish) would be Fia (deer), pronounced the same. You're thinking of the diminutive (little deer) which could be imagined as Fián (fee-awn) ... When you stick an extra i in between the á and the n, you're turning it into an adjective (wild).

Alternatively, you could be thinking of Fian (warrior, as in na Fianna) from which the Limerick lads get the "feen" insult, equivalent to Dublin's "gurrier" from the French guerrier.
    Well I think different cultures are beautiful and if globslly we were to name things and make processes all the same just to make a work conference call easier for you the world would be incredibly dull.

Agreed! I'm amused by people proposing "normal" names based solely on the fact that they're names/spellings that they are familiar with. My entourage in France includes Solène, Coline, Faustine, Mallory, Tyrone, Wann, Yann and Serge.
    Irish names are nice, but think of your child, will he be ridiculed for having an unusual name? I can tell you for a fact, as somebody living abroad, having an Irish name is a daily chore.

MrsCR had the right to pick FirstChild's first name, and chose a sensible "international" name that caused us no trouble for eight years (we had to spell his/our perfectly Hibernian surname all the time, though - the English kept sticking a superfluous E before the terminal Y :mad:)

Then we moved to France, where the surname was no problem, but SonNo.1 was driven demented by his classmates and teachers constantly spelling his name "wrong" because they used the local version. So he announced one day, at the age of 11, that he was going to use his Irish second name once he went to secondary.

For the rest of his school life, he had to spelt it every time, explain that Irish words are not pronounced according to Latin rules, suffer all kinds of WTF-ness ... and he was delighted. He said it made sure that everyone knew who he was, and that he was Irish not English! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you want it similar to Fiadh ,( Fia ) then it would be Fian ,( Like Cian ) not Fiáin .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi all, what do people think of the boys name Fiáin? Pronounced feen

It's a horrible name.
    You're possibly spelling it wrong, too.

Please don't contribute to the army of nitwits who think they're special because other English speakers can't read their name.. sadhbh, tadhg, etc

Irish names are nice, but think of your child, will he be ridiculed for having an unusual name? I can tell you for a fact, as somebody living abroad, having an Irish name is a daily chore. People look at you as if you are an alien..

This is rubbish. Maybe if you live in England.
    Any other country actually don't care, they ask your name, how do you pronounce & how do you spell.
    The rest of the world don't have boring English names.

Okay and if it were to be pronounced Fiáin (fee-awn) what do people think of that?

So a cross between Fionn and Ciaran.

How about fillian.. it's fionn and cillian. Or maybe eoghlock.. eoghan and turlough.

Edit: Ok... i see it means "wild" .. you might have explained that. Now if only you could figure out how to pronounce it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

antix80 wrote: »
    So a cross between Fionn and Ciaran.

How about fillian.. it's fionn and cillian. Or maybe eoghlock.. eoghan and turlough.

Edit: Ok... i see it means "wild" .. you might have explained that. Now if only you could figure out how to pronounce it correctly.

What about a mixture of Boris and Turlough, Bolough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In my experience, people with unusual Irish names have generally tended to be a bit 'up-themselves', so for that reason I would avoid going down that route when naming a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NIMAN wrote: »

Caitlín
    Katelyn
    Caitlyn
    Katelin
    Katelynn

How about KV111lyn

34E24EEE00000578-0-image-a-2_1464947894778.jpg

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

JasmineCat,
    You're right in terms of the pronunciation in Munster: the 'á' is not pronounced as strong there as it is in Connacht; it would be close to 'Fe-en' in Munster. As you probably know, it means 'wild'.

I don't see any evidence it is the male version of Fia/Fiadh.

I don't see 'Fiáin' in Prof. Donnchadh Ó Corráin's great collection of Irish names entitled: Irish names for Children.

Don't mind the Irish-haters and the Uncle Toms in this country who denigrate everything Irish, but be aware that even the so-called Irish state won't spell it correctly on their databases.

I have an Irish name containing two accents and the state never includes them in official documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Perhaps I'm a bit boring, but what's wrong with Jack, Paul, Stephen, Michael, etc?

A name should be something used to ID someone, so they can get on with their life. Not an additional eye-rolling hurdle to have to contend with in life.

Alright KKV - we get ya.

It's nice to be relatively individual, within reason.
    Back in the day there were 3 Johns in our class of 6 lads, can be confusing.

If you want to ID someone, use their PPSN's

Bricriu wrote: »
    I have an Irish name containing two accents and the state never includes them in official documents.

Bloody free state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Sorry to butt in OP but the topic has me thinking..., I work with a lad who spells his name Eidhne, some people call him Enya, others Edna- he is too polite to correct anyone and it’s going on too long to ask him straight- which is right?

Do you want to be a person who will have to spell their name out thousands of times in your lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

Best name yet a beautiful name for a boy or a girl,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9fBnFCTB0

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I don't know whether to laugh or be slightly offended by that Lee Mack video.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

AulWan wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or be slightly offended by that Lee Mack video.... :D

Laugh. Don't be offended Siobhan ;)

Advertisement