Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name opinion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Jasminecat wrote: »
    Hi all, what do people think of the boys name Fiáin? Pronounced feen

Just asked my 12 year old who is in Gaelcholáiste and he said Fiáin means wild as in “ferocious” like vermin! He’s prouncing it Fee-on (Connacht Irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Classic example! Skip ahead to about 1:45 to the bit about names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Perhaps I'm a bit boring, but what's wrong with Jack, Paul, Stephen, Michael, etc?

Ah come on now, those names don't really cut the mustard if the child get involved in CCE Fleadhs and a grand Irish name would help with entry to the gaelscoil etc. Makes it clear you're not one them furriners! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Just asked my 12 year old who is in Gaelcholáiste and he said Fiáin means wild as in “ferocious” like vermin! He’s prouncing it Fee-on (Connacht Irish)

Hahaha

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Ah come on now, those names don't really cut the mustard if the child get involved in CCE Fleadhs and a grand Irish name would help with entry to the gaelscoil etc. Makes it clear you're not one them furriners! :)

Call them Michael, and swap it to Micheal when you need to. Everyone's a winner.

I just think a silly name, that nobody understands or even recognises as an actual name, is just giving some extra hardship to your children.

For example, why not, instead of Fee-awn, call the child 'Finian'? His friends will shorten it to 'Fin' anyway, it sounds a tad Irish, but still easily spoken in English, can be pronounced by everyone (although I do think it's actually a surname? or a Saint name? Unfamiliar with it's origin but it's a lot better than the obstacle-course name that's being presented here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's not a proper name, there a lot of made up and bastardised "Irish" names around. People should do the research and I don't mean consulting a baby name book (most of which are grossly inaccurate). One of my pet hates is Siofraidh / Siofra, if you were to look up some dictionaries the translation you'd get is "fairy child" while this may not be wrong, it's not accurate, it actually means "changling" which is quite sinister and creepy, when we were bold as kids my grandmother used to call us "saucy little siofraidhs".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AulWan wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or be slightly offended by that Lee Mack video.... :D

I did both !! I did laugh but yet was a bit annoyed

Advertisement