Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody raced staffordshire 70.3 or kraichgau 70.3

• 07-12-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

Completed Dun Laoghaire 70.3 this year and looking to line up another one next year. Now that DL is not happening looking at doing something early Summer..ideally mid-/late June.

Has anybody raced Staffordshire or Kraichgau?

If so any info? whats the travel logistics like? Kraichgau looks like a more interesting course but travel logistics could be difficult whereas Staffordshire is not too far from Holyhead.

Will most likely be travelling with my wife and 3 kids so logistics critical!

Other option I am looking at is the Lough Cutra Gauntlet..could be a little early in the year but its cheaper..and much easier logistics wise!! However I have to admit I did enjoy the whole Ironman event experience in Dun Laoghaire.

Thanks as always

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9RzOYs3rk&t=1s

this should work nicely with ferry to france. 7000 athletes racing over the weekend big expo etc and your timeframe if you are ok with its more a french ironman experience.

https://triathlondeauville.com/?lang=en

Kraichgau is good and in your timeframe i could not think of a better race in germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I don't know anything about either of those 70.3s, but seeing that you mention Lough Cutra, I think you should consider The Lost Sheep in Kenmare. Most people I know who've done it, consider it the best race of any distance in Ireland. It might not be happening at the time of year you want, but it was only 2 weeks after Dun Laoghaire last year. If you would have been prepared to train for Dub Laoghaire once again, would having to wait another 2 weeks for your A-race matter much?

The Lost Sheep doesn't have the same hullabaloo that Ironman events do, but there is a very good atmosphere on race day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

While lough cutra is a cheaper option make sure it will still tick all the boxes. I've done it a few years and it's very different to any IM type race.
    Swim is lovely. Bike is on rough roads and run is a trail run at best. Last year was the worth I've seen it and wont be giving them my money again to risk going over on an ankle tbh.
    If family into camping you could make a weekend of it. Also loads of kids races.
    As zico says some other races worth considering.
    Sheephaven is another worth considering. Beautiful part of the world and lovely beaches for the family to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://hardman.ie/races/hardman-skellig-coast-triathlon/

Hard bike route but cheap and cheerful with only about 1% of the razzmatazz of an IM branded event.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’d echo some of the comments above. Personally would not recommend Lough Cutra due to the run being at least partially through cow fields (as someone said, the chances of going over on your ankles is very high). In contrast, would recommend HardMan events. I did Bantry last year and it was a great event with a lovely, but challenging course.

Don’t know anyone who’s done either of the IM events you mentioned. Was thinking of doing the UK one a few years back, but the split transition put me off. Might not be such an issue if you have the car over there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Thanks all for all the great replies!!

Lots of good info there...and plenty to think about.

Think I will rule out Lough Cutra but Hardman and Lost sheep might be an idea.

Like I said I really enjoyed the razmataz of the IM event, however the cost of travelling overseas added to the cost of entry makes it very difficult to ignore local events.

Advertisement