Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst adult temper-tantrum you've witnessed?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Impressive. Yours is the first story I read where you come off as sounding a worse so and so than the customer.

Oh no! You hurt my feelings!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i worked on a golf course years ago. we had no clubhouse at the time so i was collecting greenfees in a temporary office. we were only open about a year or so.

anyhoo, this guy rocks up to play with his girlfriend. he clearly had played before, but i knew she was a beginner. she needed a rental set and i helped set them up for their game of golf. now, i just have to say that she was HOT! petite and in a very short dress - not quite in line with our dress code etiquette not that i ever pulled anyone up for that!! so off she sets across the car park towards the 1st tee when the wind blew up and so did her dress. she had a a great ass and a black thong underneath and quickly patted the dress back down. i just had a chuckle to myself and thought some of the pervy auld lads would get a kick outta this. no harm and bit a bit of a giggle later.

about an hour after they set off - i'm not sure if this qualifies as tantrum - this guy comes in like a bulldog into the office. face all puffed up and red and starts roaring at me: 'WHAT KIND OF PLACE IS THIS YOU'RE LETTIN HOORS OUT THERe GIRLS PLAYIN IN THEIR F**KING KNICKERS' i can laugh now but at the time i was caught unawares and didnt know what to say. it was very strange but i still wonder how he got so upset. must have missed a putt and lost a few quid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

20Wheel wrote: »
    Reading the above.

There's no customer facing job that's worth the pay.

Honestly, it's not that bad.

Remind yourself that it's not you they're annoyed with but the company and you can let it wash away pretty easily.

When people are annoyed the best thing is to just stand there listening to them. Let them vent for a bit and they'll calm down and you can move on to the actual problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pep Guardiola had a great meltdown in the game against Liverpool a few weeks back. Him shouting at the clouds gets me everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The gym I'm in has a sauna and steam room for each gender and are entered from the respective changing rooms.
    Yesterday, just as I entered, a guy left the steam room, went to his locker (right beside me) and roughly pulled the door open and grabbed his clothes and bag. And left the changing room. He was clearly vexed about something. I wanted to see where he was going to go as I knew something was up because he was only wearing shorts so I followed him out as I had yet to start changing. He walked straight through reception, out the door and across the road to the car park and in to his car.

It was -5 degrees at the time and last weeks snow is still on the ground (US, East Coast). No idea what triggered this, but that was weird. He was wearing flip flops, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The gym I'm in has a sauna and steam room for each gender and are entered from the respective changing rooms.
    Yesterday, just as I entered, a guy left the steam room, went to his locker (right beside me) and roughly pulled the door open and grabbed his clothes and bag. And left the changing room. He was clearly vexed about something. I wanted to see where he was going to go as I knew something was up because he was only wearing shorts so I followed him out as I had yet to start changing. He walked straight through reception, out the door and across the road to the car park and in to his car.

It was -5 degrees at the time and last weeks snow is still on the ground (US, East Coast). No idea what triggered this, but that was weird. He was wearing flip flops, to be fair.

Oh, he was wearing flip flops. Then, there’s no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

poisonated wrote: »
    Oh, he was wearing flip flops. Then, there’s no problem.

Without the flip flops, I'd have just put him down as a full time mad ba*tard going about his daily business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I feel bad for anyone in the firing line of these tantrums, but if you give in to people or go out of your way to keep them happy they only learn to do it more and you've only kicked the problem down the line for the next poor soul. Bad behaviour should never be rewarded be they children or childish adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

kowloon wrote: »
    I feel bad for anyone in the firing line of these tantrums, but if you give in to people or go out of your way to keep them happy they only learn to do it more and you've only kicked the problem down the line for the next poor soul. Bad behaviour should never be rewarded be they children or childish adults.

No but they tend to take advantage of people who are restrained by a professional role they are currently in. Such as the waitress the receptionist etc.

There is a difference between a customer arguing their point to get the service they deserve and someone having a tantrum though.

Sometimes customers do have to stand up for themselves if their custom is taken for granted or what was sold to them as an expectation isn't met.

But if someone is using the relationship to vent or behave unreasonably its difficult for someone in the employee or manager role not to be undermined.

In fact its almost always the BEST employees who are most undermined because they tend to be people pleasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A few years ago, I was getting the bus home and the driver slowed down at a stop, waiting for someone to wave if they wanted to get that particular bus. No one flinched, so he just drove on

At the next set of lights, a woman banged on the bus door and he let her on. She went absolutely mental, full on roaring into the drivers face that he drove past her at the stop. I get it that she was annoyed, but this was really aggressive. The driver was quite calm but she continued to berate him until myself and a couple of others intervened asking her to calm down. She sat down for about 30 seconds, then got up and started yelling at the driver again until it was time for her stop. Throughout this whole episode, she was holding nothing but a massive packet of bog roll which made her look even more ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Impressive. Yours is the first story I read where you come off as sounding a worse so and so than the customer.

Apt user name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I can understand both situations there, in that situation the woman on the counter told you the reason why, was fairly friendly about it and most reasonable people would understand and accept. Then you can get some people in customer facing roles that will bark ' no perscriptions between 12 and 2' and no explanation why, that usually ends up in the customer being frustrated as f%%k and expressing it.

In my situation, I knew the woman in question as at the time her daughter & son were playing in the local gaelic football club at underage level which I was helping coach at the time - compounded by the fact that two years prior, her husband & the father of her children had committed suicide. It's also the case that where I live, local people as a general rule aren't known for being an assertive or demanding bunch, and don't really complain or speak up about things even when they really should at times. The staff at the medical centre also are a pretty friendly bunch overall, in the times I've visited or called them I've never seen any of them "bark" at patients or their companions, or act very stuck up etc. That's why the comment from her took me aback, as it is not something that you expect to hear from in this part o'the wilds in Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I had a right tantrum at BMW. No swearing or abuse.

Basically I dropped my car in to BMW for a service and MOT (NCT- this in England). Booked at 10:30am slot for 90mins. Grand. Dropped car off and went away browsing in the local retail park. Received a text at 12:30 to say car ready for pick up. Grand. Strolled back and in the garage at 12:35 pm.

I was kept sitting there waiting until 1:35pm (staff knew I was there). I had a proper melt down at the guy and just demanded the car back- "Oh but it's not ready." I just demanded it back and that I was leaving. I had to sign some disclaimer that I was driving off with a car without a valid MOT.

Then he told me the car had failed, presented me with a near £1000.00 likely costs to fix the car and billed me £180.00. I ranted at him for all the time they wasted and that I should bill BMW for wasting my time. He reduced it to £90.00 on the basis that they fixed a dodgy relay (which came right back 2 days later).

Why text me at 12:30 to say car was ready when I was still waiting another hour and only got it back by demanding it.

I took the car to another garage who rubbished the BMW summary and passed the car with flying colours.

I wrote the mother of letters of complaint to BMW- 3 x A4 pages. They tried to ring me back twice but I never bothered returning their calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I worked on reception in hotels for many years so adult tantrums was a regular occurance for me.

One time it was lashing rain outside, a woman came up to the desk eating me because it was raining. Cos yknow we control the weather for your hotel stays. I ended up in the bathroom drying her socks under the hand dryer just because i couldnt listen to her any more.

Another time a woman wanted me to ring the guards because there was a dog barking somewhere and she couldnt get asleep.
    It was a hotel in the middle of a busy town surrounded by houses. Unless the dog was in her room what could we do.

People's ignorance never ceased to amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Oh no! You hurt my feelings!

You would want to watch out.

He might want your full name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭KildareP

A good few years ago I was customer service for an electrical retailer.

This chap buys a washing machine, brings it home, sets it up - but forgets to take out the transport bolts.

Cue machine vibrating itself to death on the first wash cycle.

He called the head office who told him there was nothing they could do and there was absolutely no point returning the machine to the store unless it was for recycling.

Well, he did return it and it wasn't for recycling.

And when I delivered the bad news that I wouldn't be able to do anything for him, he went on a ten minute tirade about how he'd lugged this down six flights of stairs, that the machine was broken anyway, that he'd be lying in wait for me outside the shop at closing time and that he'd "get me properly" and promptly left the shaken washing machine in the middle of the shop floor.

In hindsight me pointing out that head office had explained all of this to him would have negated the whole effort of bringing the machine down here did not sit well...

Eventually he stormed out and there was no sign of this fine gent for over a week.

About 10 days later a very pleasant, but extremely mortified looking woman arrives at the customer service looking for her washing machine and would she know how she'd go about getting it repaired. Not twigging immediately we never copped the damaged machine from last week was hers until she muttered "Well my ex left it in sometime last week..."

Whatever fear I had last week about being lynched outside the shop was now multiplied tenfold that "I" broke up his relationship to boot :D

I also used to dread the week after Christmas Day and often felt sorry for customers then as we'd be sold out of most of the in-demand items so nothing in the back to replace any of those that were faulty or damaged presents coming in, no new stock would be coming until the second week of January and if you wanted a refund then it likely wouldn't show up on your card/account until at least Jan 2nd as a refund can take 3 to 5 working days (and at most there were three in the Christmas-New Year period) so even if a competitor had stock you'd have to have the funds handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

Was staying in a hotel in london and whilst waiting in reception for a taxi, a woman and her teenage daughter came storming in, it was early enough id say around 11:00

poor porter starts getting shouted at as they had booked tkts for the london eye that morning for 10:00 they arrive early and join the queue for their time, all the while people who havent booked are strolling on as there was no normal queue.

The porter just keeps advising they have no control over the queue of the london eye and that the woman could of just walked on at any time, she refuses to accept this and that the hotel should reimburse her as they wasted her time. Daughter then starts crying as her mother keeps raising her voice. Porter then gets the brunt of this as this is also his fault.

Eventually security come over and speak to the woman who demands a manager, porter is getting upset as he is being screamed at, daughter is shouting at the mother. Manager comes over to advise the woman she needs to calm down or she will be removed from the hotel, this pushes her over the edge as she is staying there a further week or so but is now reconsidering it as she is being treated so badly.

My taxi then calls to say it had arrived so unfortunately i have no ending :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I have one...it was me...I think about it all the time...

Since I was a kid Ive had a short temper. It really is something that ive been working on.

I was an Eir Broadband customer. Contract is up and i dont want the service anymore. So I log in online and try to cancel my service. Cant do that. No problem. lll find out how to do it from the little Chat pop up down in the bottom corner. The guy Im chatting with wont allow me to cancel because my details are "wrong"...this is where my blood starts to boil. For some reason, one either my DOB or Address is wrong. The guy wont tell me anything. Just keeps saying, no thats wrong. Im certain that i know my own DOB and address.

So I call them...

I spend about 40 mins on hold. Cant get through to anyone, I try the chat thing again....another guy telling me I dont know my DOB or Address, I lose it.

I drive 20 mins into town to go in store and cancel the service. I walk in and tell them "Hi, I want to cancel my service".
    They say "You cant cancel your service in store".

So i just go off....
    Expletives..."What kind of f*cking sh*tshow are ye running". Exaggerated motions... condescending tone, I explained the entire story, how i keep getting told I dont know my own name or DOB by some guy in India, the whole 9 yards. A kitchen sink type rant. I went on for a good 3 mins while this guy just stood there and took it.

Turns out in my blind rage I walked into a 3 store not an Eir store.

I think about the guy nearly every week. I try to justify it in my head sometimes by telling myself things like...Sure Eir's customer service would drive anyone mental....&....their automated systems are put in place to make you give up....but the facts remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

IK09 wrote: »
    I have one...it was me...I think about it all the time...

Since I was a kid Ive had a short temper. It really is something that ive been working on.

I was an Eir Broadband customer. Contract is up and i dont want the service anymore. So I log in online and try to cancel my service. Cant do that. No problem. lll find out how to do it from the little Chat pop up down in the bottom corner. The guy Im chatting with wont allow me to cancel because my details are "wrong"...this is where my blood starts to boil. For some reason, one either my DOB or Address is wrong. The guy wont tell me anything. Just keeps saying, no thats wrong. Im certain that i know my own DOB and address.

So I call them...

I spend about 40 mins on hold. Cant get through to anyone, I try the chat thing again....another guy telling me I dont know my DOB or Address, I lose it.

I drive 20 mins into town to go in store and cancel the service. I walk in and tell them "Hi, I want to cancel my service".
    They say "You cant cancel your service in store".

So i just go off....
    Expletives..."What kind of f*cking sh*tshow are ye running". Exaggerated motions... condescending tone, I explained the entire story, how i keep getting told I dont know my own name or DOB by some guy in India, the whole 9 yards. A kitchen sink type rant. I went on for a good 3 mins while this guy just stood there and took it.

Turns out in my blind rage I walked into a 3 store not an Eir store.

I think about the guy nearly every week. I try to justify it in my head sometimes by telling myself things like...Sure Eir's customer service would drive anyone mental....&....their automated systems are put in place to make you give up....but the facts remain.

Ha, so what did you say when the fella told you were in the 3 store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know this is After Hours and not known for it's compassion, but there are adults who have autism (Aspergers) and if triggered may have a meltdown that can resemble a tantrum.

The difference is that once it starts there is nothing they can do about it but despite outward appearances they are typically embarrassed afterwards.
    As an adult with Aspergers, lets not ruin the thread with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ha, so what did you say when the fella told you were in the 3 store?

I apologised, I mean...what else could I do...I just said I was really sorry and that its driving me up the wall. He just said there was an Eir store around the corner. Ive been thinking I should get the guy a one for all voucher or something.

IK09 wrote: »
    I apologised, I mean...what else could I do...I just said I was really sorry and that its driving me up the wall. He just said there was an Eir store around the corner. Ive been thinking I should get the guy a one for all voucher or something.

You should have said: "Smile you are on candid camera and have won this week's prize which is in the post. Bye." Promptly leg it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Ultimate Tantrum ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Candie wrote: »
    A girl in her early 20's threw a massive stop in a gov office after she was told she couldn't renew her drivers license as she was missing some required document. She screamed and yelled and kicked over a chair and accused the poor woman behind the desk of not letting her get it because she was jealous of her. Then she walked out with her mortified mother (I assume) and started giggling about how awful she is, like it was some cute little personality tic. I know another girl who started screaming hysterically, slapping and throwing things at the poor guy who was breaking up with her (confirming it was the right move tbh).

Another time I saw a guy try to trip up a flight attendant carrying drinks after he failed to get an upgrade when he complained about everything. The sheer spite of it.

I have so much secondhand embarrassment for people who think that their rudeness is cute or charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Waiting in A & E one night for a number of hours with many others , 2 travellers came in with a child with what looked like a cut needing a few stichs they started roaring demanding immediate attention stating travellers don’t wait for anyone and they don’t queue ....fair play to the nurses who refused to be intimidated but travellers kicked every chair in the place before storming out of the A& E with the kid ....

I've seen something similar happen in Crumlin childrens hospital. A traveller child came in with a number of family members in tow, I was in the shop they have there and saw them pile in and start stealing sandwiches, drinks crisps chocolate etc, as well as running around the place shouting at the staff and other members of the public, which piqued the interest of the security guards, lo and behold they were rushed through triage and seen by a doctor immediately.

I also remember being in the Dole queue during the recession and seeing two travellers walking straight through the queue (with was out into the car park), I was close to the top at the time myself, they waltzed right past everybody, somebody had a go at them and was told where there body would end up if they didn't fvck off. I had to admire the rich cultural heritage they were showing off for us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Worked as a store manager in McDonalds while i was still in college. One lad always used to come in and abuse the female staff. Was about 30 years old. Always on a rant about crap service, women can't process orders as they are inferior, all types of misogynistic crap.
    The other managers for some reason would try to placate him as it was always during the day and loads of people about. A few weeks later he arrives in at 10.50pm. We were closing at 11pm. No one else in store. Slyvia takes his order. She pressed one button on the till wrong, apologised for the delay and off yer man goes again, "Stupid f***ing bitch, can't do anything right".
    As i came up to the till he says "can't get the staff can you". I replied i'll be with you in one second sir. Went into the office, turned off the cameras, went past him to the front door, locked it. Came back around the counter. Called Mrock (Slyvia's 6 foot 4 Croatian husband who worked in the kitchen). Told customer "you have 2 options lad, apologise right now and leave or Mrcok and will kick the living crap out of you".
    Being the coward he was he promply left and didn't darken the door again. The look on his face when Mrock came round the counter was f***ing priceless.

I don't work in retail anymore and never will again.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Worked as a store manager in McDonalds while i was still in college. One lad always used to come in and abuse the female staff. Was about 30 years old. Always on a rant about crap service, women can't process orders as they are inferior, all types of misogynistic crap.
    The other managers for some reason would try to placate him as it was always during the day and loads of people about. A few weeks later he arrives in at 10.50pm. We were closing at 11pm. No one else in store. Slyvia takes his order. She pressed one button on the till wrong, apologised for the delay and off yer man goes again, "Stupid f***ing bitch, can't do anything right".
    As i came up to the till he says "can't get the staff can you". I replied i'll be with you in one second sir. Went into the office, turned off the cameras, went past him to the front door, locked it. Came back around the counter. Called Mrock (Slyvia's 6 foot 4 Croatian husband who worked in the kitchen). Told customer "you have 2 options lad, apologise right now and leave or Mrcok and will kick the living crap out of you".
    Being the coward he was he promply left and didn't darken the door again. The look on his face when Mrock came round the counter was f***ing priceless.

I don't work in retail anymore and never will again.

More importantly, was Slyvia hot?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Worked many years in retail and hospitality, and have seen the works. Worked in Subway for years and had grown men throw tantrums that the meatballs were out of stock. Worked in restaurants where we'd warn people coming in the door that average wait for food was 30 mins and they'd have abuse to spout. Im always polite and friendly to service staff when out and about cause I remember how one chill customer could really make your day.

I have to confess though that a few weeks ago I was the one being a bit of a brat in a shop.

I was taking my grandmother out for lunch and a bit of Christmas shopping. At one point, she says she's feeling a bit faint. We sit her down, take her coat off (it was boiling in the centre!) and give her a drink of water. After a few mins she's happy out and ready to get going. On the way back to the car, she spots a gift bag in the window of a bookshop and asks me to run in and grab it. No problem. There was a bench beside the shop so I assumed she would have a little sit down.

Went in to the shop, picked up the bag and joined the queue. Wee old man in front of me took, no joke, ~10 mins chatting with the staff, counting pennies etc. Grand out, I spent many a time having a chat with a lonely elderly person when in retail, sometimes they really have nobody else to chat to. The queue was growing behind me this whole time. Eventually he leaves, I move up. Look out the door and granny is standing outside instead of sitting down and I'm just a bit worried about her. The assistant says "I'll be back in a sec, just have to check something". No worries. Comes back two mins later, grand. Picks up a stock-take type sheet and starts filling out stuff. I look at the queue behind me. Granny looks a bit fed up outside. The assistant spends a good minute or two at filling out her paperwork and makes a wee joke that she's always getting this sheet thing wrong. I'm really getting impatient now. I must have been in the shop nearly 15 mins at this stage and was buying one small gift bag. I said (quite narky, ngl) "I just want this one thing, can I just pay my €1.50 and go please?"

She was a bit miffed but says "Yeah, fine. Btw it's €2 not €1.50." I tap my card, declined :pac: Savage. She makes a point of saying it was declined for the €2 charge. I try the card that actually works, and it goes through, and I leave.

That's what I get for being a brat. Granny was in grand mood as well, started slagging me off for getting snappy with yer wan too. :o Oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

^^^

That’s not bratty. She was taking the michael. Stocktaking is fit around serving customers. There’d be no stocktaking without those customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I once witnessed a complete and utter meltdown, all because of an official letter.

Literally (literally!) started bouncing off the walls.

Meanwhile I looked at the letter, explained that all he had to do was call the number outlined, and it would be all grand. Which it was.

But I was in no rush to explain with such an amusement playing out in front of me :)

Went in to the shop, picked up the bag and joined the queue. Wee old man in front of me took, no joke, ~10 mins chatting with the staff, counting pennies etc. Grand out, I spent many a time having a chat with a lonely elderly person when in retail, sometimes they really have nobody else to chat to. The queue was growing behind me this whole time. Eventually he leaves, I move up.

On my commute every morning I will often stop at the BP station for a coffee (reusable mug) and lunch if the day is going to be busy. The staff are actually sound, friendly, will give you a few extra stamps and tokens. But the place is a goldmine at a busy junction. Doubles up as a M&S also.

Between 8-9am it is manic with commuters and the queues build up in a flash but the staff are on it and make sure everything moves quickly.

There is this old lad must be a good 10-15 years past retirement who picks up the paper every morning and insists on having a long rambling chat with the cashier but you can see the panic setting in as the queue just starts to snowball. Bells being rung and all sorts to get in extra staff.

Now, I know he is probably lonely and doesn't get to speak too many people but Jaysus no self awareness at all. He thinks we are an audience just standing there to listen to his jokes.

It is ripe for a meltdown some day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Now, I know he is probably lonely and doesn't get to speak too many people but Jaysus no self awareness at all. He thinks we are an audience just standing there to listen to his jokes.

I know, I worked in a busy garage myself fadó fadó but most of the elderly regulars knew when would be quiet and came in outside of rush hour times. Not least to save themselves a stonking queue. But yeah, sometimes you'd get the odd aul fella who wouldn't cop that right now was *really* not very suitable for a chat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know, I worked in a busy garage myself fadó fadó but most of the elderly regulars knew when would be quiet and came in outside of rush hour times. Not least to save themselves a stonking queue. But yeah, sometimes you'd get the odd aul fella who wouldn't cop that right now was *really* not very suitable for a chat!

You get a few like that, absolutely zero awareness of others waiting not always elderly too. You have to wonder how did they manage to get through life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

On my commute every morning I will often stop at the BP station for a coffee (reusable mug) and lunch if the day is going to be busy. The staff are actually sound, friendly, will give you a few extra stamps and tokens. But the place is a goldmine at a busy junction. Doubles up as a M&S also.

Between 8-9am it is manic with commuters and the queues build up in a flash but the staff are on it and make sure everything moves quickly.

There is this old lad must be a good 10-15 years past retirement who picks up the paper every morning and insists on having a long rambling chat with the cashier but you can see the panic setting in as the queue just starts to snowball. Bells being rung and all sorts to get in extra staff.

Ah that explains why it's been cooler these last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Was on a flight once when an actress who was on on EastEnders at the time threw a complete wobbler because she wanted her child to be allowed into the cockpit during the flight. She was repeatedly threatened with the police during the flight and at the end was having a right go at the poor air hostesses while the rest of us disembarked. It was the sort of thing that these days would see the flight diverted to the nearest airport and the person escorted off by armed police.

touts wrote: »
    Was on a flight once when an actress who was on on EastEnders at the time threw a complete wobbler because she wanted her child to be allowed into the cockpit during the flight. She was repeatedly threatened with the police during the flight and at the end was having a right go at the poor air hostesses while the rest of us disembarked. It was the sort of thing that these days would see the flight diverted to the nearest airport and the person escorted off by armed police.

ehhhhh? Since 9/11 nobodys gets into the cockpit except the pilots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Does staged rage count? Someone’s going to appear like a seriously stroppy teenager come next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ultimate Tantrum ...........

and just to think she graced the cover of the 1981 Christmas RTE Guide :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Since it has been mentioned more than once.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    and just to think she graced the cover of the 1981 Christmas RTE Guide :cool:

Fapping material? ... for the day that was in it of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

More importantly, was Slyvia hot?

She must have been if she managed to bag Mr Cok :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

ehhhhh? Since 9/11 nobodys gets into the cockpit except the pilots.

She didn't think that meant her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I remember a guy posted this before. I don't think he lasted long in the job.
    "I was ordering a sandwich once, and I'm a vegetarian so I asked her to change gloves, clean knife and surface ect.

She got the bread, first thing she did was put a slice of ham on the bread. She realised what she did, took the ha. Off and used the same gloves and bread that touched ham to make me the sandwich. ****ing scumbag, I ripped through her and the manager. Refused to go back, until I had a job interview there. (Got the job, and the deli worker quit that week) Goodridance. Serves the idiot right."

Did everyone clap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

touts wrote: »
    She didn't think that meant her.

Though that's true, there have been instances where women were allowed in the cockpit in China

https://nypost.com/2019/11/06/pilot-fired-after-letting-woman-pose-for-cockpit-photo-during-flight/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This thread made me think of another one, again, in retail gasp/shock/horror.
    I'm still dumbfounded by it.

This woman wanted a pair of trainers for her daughter, who was with her and probably around 12/13. I can still remember the ones, Adidas Superstar blue stripe. Back then they were in huge demand so she'd finally found the ones she wanted. We had two similar ones, a blue stripe for €75 and a blue glittery one for €75. She picked the plainer of the two and I got her size and I remember thinking "these shouldn't be 75, I thought I saw them at 70 recently". Ran a quick check while her daughter was putting back on her own shoes , sure enough they should be 70. So I went back and said something along the lines of "that's a misprice, you'll actually get them for 70, someone must have doubled up on the 75 when pricing them". Thinking this would be a bit of good news.

The Mother went absolutely mental, she ranted for a good 3 minutes about how that was illegal and you can't do that and she was going to sue, going to call the radio talk shows etc etc. I think I made it worse by saying "I'm not sure what's happening but the markdown is in your favour, there's no over charging the barcode at the till will always show the correct price for these.

I'm pretty sure I saw the moment she realised she'd misheard me and she'd gone off on one but she must have thought she was too far gone so she continued on for another few minutes. Still ended up buying them. Her poor daughter was mortified.

I just turned around to the lads working with me and said "I genuinely don't know what happened there". Took my lunch early that day.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ah that explains why it's been cooler these last few days.

Just doing my bit man.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw the moment she realised she'd misheard me and she'd gone off on one but she must have thought she was too far gone so she continued on for another few minutes. Still ended up buying them. Her poor daughter was mortified.

In my experience in dealing with the public, women were the best and worst customers.

I've had some lady customers who not only made my day but made my bloody month! On the other hand, I've had some women that have made my life a living hell, seemingly out of pure spite a lot of the time. Now men did that too but it never made me feel as bad as the women doing it...

Advertisement