Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Bicycle Parking at University Hospital Limerick

Options
  • 07-12-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Copy of a letter I just emailed to the HSE.
    It seems such an obvious and simple issue to deal with but unfortunately there is no bicycle parking facilities at this and perhaps other Hospitals in Ireland.

Good morning,I refer to the apparent lack of suitable bicycle parking at University College Hospital in Limerick. I went there on Wednesday to attend a Clinic and could not find anywhere to park and lock my bicycle which cost €1200. I asked a member of staff who told me there was parking for bicycles at the main entrance so I cycled there but did not find any. I locked my bicycle against a railing where other bicycles were parked. These bicycles intruded on the pedestrian way a little and were far from the entrance.
    I hope you will provide secure, dry facilities for people to park their bicycles close to the entrances of the different parts of the Hospital. Ideally, lockers so people could lock their belongings with their bicycles - Helmets, gloves etc. Providing secure. convenient bicycle parking should encourage people to travel to the Hospital by bike thereby getting exercise thereby having less health issues thereby reducing Hospital overcrowding.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not surprised they dont have any even for staff, you should see the traffic queue in the mornings/evenings all streaming in, in their pollution cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,194 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did they reply?

just asking because I just got a job there and will be cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As a long time HSE employee, I wouldn't hold my breath. For an organisation which is supposed to promote healthy lifestyles, they do nothing for cyclists in my experience and see those of us who cycle to work as odd balls.

A sign went up in my workplace a while ago which said "No Cycling in Hospital Grounds". At a senior managers' meeting, I enquired why the sign was erected and if a similar sign would be done for motorists. They all looked at me as if I had three heads. It was decided that the sign didn't apply to me. :rolleyes:

The vast majority of people just don't see cycling as a form of transport.

Advertisement