Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L2TP/PPTP VPN router with Vodafone HG658C problem

• 07-12-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi,

I Have a tp-link WR841N router that I want to add run a VPN on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FWYGJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried with the Vodafone router PPOE bridged and unbridged but I cannot get it to connect. When bridged, the TPlink will work fine in PPOE mode but not in L2TP or PPTP mode.

This should be relatively straightforward stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitCaoIm8Lw

I am using privateinternetaccess.com and have regenerated a password/username for use with L2TP or PPTP.

PIA works fine on my mobile and laptop so shouldnt be an account issue.

Any help before I upgrade to a more powerful router? Cheers.

****Mods please clean up hyperlinks, I do not know how to****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If you're trying to copy the video I don't think it's going to work. When you put the Vodafone router in bridge mode you then need to authenticate with Vodafone using PPPoE on the TP-Link. If you're setting the WAN to L2TP/PPTP that is not happening which is why it's not connecting.

You need to set up the PPPoE to Vodafone then do the VPN over that. Don't ask me how, I'm not familiar with your device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

If you're trying to copy the video I don't think it's going to work. When you put the Vodafone router in bridge mode you then need to authenticate with Vodafone using PPPoE on the TP-Link. If you're setting the WAN to L2TP/PPTP that is not happening which is why it's not connecting.

You need to set up the PPPoE to Vodafone then do the VPN over that. Don't ask me how, I'm not familiar with your device.

Thanks for the help, there should be a way of getting it to work unbridged, a buddy of mine has the same router working unbridged with virgin Internet.

The tplink will not allow dual PPOE and L2TP, one or the other.

The Tplink is on the lower threshold of memory and ram, I am struggling to find an open source software that supports it.

Maybe a firewall setting on the Vodafone router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The lips wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, there should be a way of getting it to work unbridged, a buddy of mine has the same router working unbridged with virgin Internet.

The tplink will not allow dual PPOE and L2TP, one or the other.

The Tplink is on the lower threshold of memory and ram, I am struggling to find an open source software that supports it.

Maybe a firewall setting on the Vodafone router?

You can't compare the Virgin network with open eir or SIRO which Vodafone are using.

I have the HG659b which eir supply and I believe it can do what you're looking for. Does the HG658C have a VPN option?

You can't compare the Virgin network with open eir or SIRO which Vodafone are using.

I have the HG659b which eir supply and I believe it can do what you're looking for. Does the HG658C have a VPN option?

The HG658C is not on siro, just regular fibre, there is no VPN option on the HG658C, Vodafone tech support were unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are you sure that TP-link actually has a VPN client option?

From the manual it would appear that the L2TP option is for ISP authenication (like what PPOE does)

Or to allow L2TP Passthrough which is different again - that's to allow VPN connections through the router.

I think what you are trying to do, you will need a different router that has a VPN client on it.

• Advertisement

I got it working, pptp pass through, lttp pass through and IP SEC pass through were all enabled by default.

Once I disabled pptp and IP sec it fired into life.

Thanks for the help guys ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Advertisement