Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension or house deposit?

• 07-12-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Deleted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A few points

Personally, I would prioritise saving for a house

27 isn't late to start, if you work to 67 you will have full service

2.75% is robbery, you can get a PRSA-AVC with 100% allocation / no contribution fee / 1% AMC

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Can you recommend where to go to eat that prsa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can you recommend where to go to eat that prsa?

www.labrokers.ie, but the catch is it's execution-only, no advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Geuze wrote: »
    www.labrokers.ie, but the catch is it's execution-only, no advice.

I agree that it makes sense to prioritise saving for a deposit for a home.

I agree that an annual charge of 2.75% on the AVC, even for 10 years, is steep.

I think that www.labrokers.ie is an excellent place to go to buy execution-only financial products.

BUT

As has been said here, an execution-only service provides no advice and is intended only for people who know exactly what they are doing. So, for example, you need to know the difference between the fund choices on offer and which one is the most suitable for you.

An AVC is not suitable for everyone. In some circumstances, people would be better off buying back years instead. With full service, that would not be the case here. As another example, if it is likely that all of the resulting pension at retirement is likely to be taxed at the high rate, then it's arguable that a person should not be making AVCs at all.

As I say, I'm quite the fan of execution-only discount brokers and LABrokers in particular who have been offering excellent deals for over 20 years. But anyone considering putting money into an AVC really does need to be sure that an AVC suits their particular circumstances. €210 per month, indexed at 3% per year for 40 years would involve a total investment of over €190,000. Do the homework carefully because an execution-only broker won't give advice.

Advertisement