Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veganism: Who is behind the Agenda?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not eating meat doesn't need to be organic. They're different things - I wonder if anyone else was going to point that out.

Not eating meat is vegetarianism, veganism means excluding all animal derived food and products, no dairy, no eggs, etc. I can't see how excluding dairy from your diet completely can be healthy. Where do you get your calcium from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭emaherx

Xcellor wrote: »
    Who is saying they should be wiped out? I think the point is to stop breeding them for the explicit purpose of farming. We "wipe out" ~ 100 billion animals a year which is driven by demand. Some animals have been bred to the point their very existence in a means they are suffering - turkeys apparently can't even naturally reproduce due to their size now.

At the extremes I agree with you, but do you really believe all turkeys can no longer naturally reproduce. Your YouTube videos show the worst in farming and yes your statement is true for many turkeys grown in industrial factory farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not eating meat is vegetarianism, veganism means excluding all animal derived food and products, no dairy, no eggs, etc. I can't see how excluding dairy from your diet completely can be healthy. Where do you get your calcium from?

Where does every other animal which is weaned get its calcium from? Is there something wrong with humans that we need the titty milk of cows?

The vast bulk of protein in the typical omnivore diet comes from meat/eggs/milk.

Yes and if we cut them out we'd be vegan. What's the point? Most of what I eat is plant based but animal products are very high in protein so yes most of my protein comes from animal products.

emaherx wrote: »
    At the extremes I agree with you, but do you really believe all turkeys can no longer naturally reproduce. Your YouTube videos show the worst in farming and yes your statement is true for many turkeys grown in industrial factory farms.

The worst of farming is the bulk of farming globally.

• Advertisement

Where does every other animal which is weaned get its calcium from? Is there something wrong with humans that we need the titty milk of cows?

Who says titty milk?

It's a good source of calcium, humans are just resourceful that way. What other animal could milk a cow?

But not all farming, people have a choice when they purchase products. And not the bulk of farming in this country. Also not the bulk of farmers who you are speaking to in this forum.

Who says titty milk?

It's a good source of calcium, humans are just resourceful that way. What other animal could milk a cow?

The point is cows milk is not required by any other animal so it's reasonable to conclude there is sufficient calcium elsewhere. You say resourceful and indeed in times of necessity and survival I would agree 100% with this. We aren't in this scenario any more not in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

musings wrote: »
    The media seem to be promoting the Vegan Agenda at every opportunity lately. Here is a graph that shows just how much interest has risen in Veganism.

Here is a link to the graph: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=vegan

At this stage it must be the 3.5% rule.
    When the participants of political or social change surpass 3.5% of the population a snowball type effect takes place and the outcome is generally positive for the movement.

The point is cows milk is not required by any other animal so it's reasonable to conclude there is sufficient calcium elsewhere. You say resourceful and indeed in times of necessity and survival I would agree 100% with this. We aren't in this scenario any more not in the western world.

How sure are you that no other animal drinks milk? There are a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have we reached the point yet where the stronger pasturalist nomads invade on horseback and eliminate the settled farmers and towns?
    Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Dubl07 wrote: »

If we were all to go vegan, there would be no cattle, sheep, chickens, pigs, geese, pheasants, partridges, turkeys etc except in zoos or as pets for the wealthy.

There all wild species of all those animals, which would all still exist if the world went vegan. Not advocating everybody go vegan btw.

T
    here all wild species of all those animals, which would all still exist if the world went vegan. Not advocating everybody go vegan btw.

Wild aurochs have been extinct for quite a while cattle are their closest living descendant. They are so close infact to the original aurochs that there is a project to selectively breed auroch traits back into cattle for re-wilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Says he with a full stomach.:rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

The reason food is so cheap and available is technology, fertiliser, chemical control of pests etc., GM. People are spoilt for choice at the moment in the west. When any of these factors start to breakdown then the real issues will transpire. Then people will be happy to eat what food they can afford. Food supply, waste and water are the biggest issue for man. Climate change is being used to mask the real problems. A large number of the world population will be living in slums in the future and many within their own rubbish and sewage. The rich poor wide is widening.

I don't know. I was asking a question. How do vegans get their calcium?

I don't know. I was asking a question. How do vegans get their calcium?

1. FORTIFIED ALMOND, SOY, OR RICE MILK, 8 OUNCES: 300-500MG (30-50%)
    2. FORTIFIED ORANGE JUICE, 8 OUNCES: 350 MG (35%)
    3. COLLARD GREENS, COOKED, 1 CUP: 270 MG (27%)
    4. FORTIFIED BREAKFAST CEREAL, 1 CUP DRY: 250-1000 MG (25-100%)
    5. TURNIP GREENS, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 200 MG (20%)
    6. MUSTARD GREENS, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 160 MG (16%)
    7. BOK CHOY, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 150 MG (15%)
    8. TEMPEH, 4 OUNCES: 120 MG (12%)
    9. TAHINI, 2 TABLESPOONS: 120 MG (12%)
    10. DRIED FIGS, 1/2 CUP: 120 MG (12%)
    11. EXTRA FIRM TOFU, 3 OUNCES: 100 MG – 150 MG (10-15%)
    12. OATS, INSTANT, 1 SERVING: 100 MG (10%)
    13. KALE, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 100 MG (10%)
    14. SHELLED EDAMAME, STEAMED, 1 CUP: 100 MG (10%)
    15. SILKEN TOFU, 3 OUNCES: 80 MG (8%)
    16. BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, 1 TABLESPOON: 80 MG (8%)
    17. ALMOND BUTTER, 2 TABLESPOONS: 80 MG (8%)
    18. ALMONDS, 1 OUNCE: 80 MG (8%)
    19. ORANGE, 1 CUP SECTIONS: 70 MG (7%)
    20. NAVY BEANS, COOKED, ½ CUP: 65 MG (6.5%)
    21. BROCCOLI, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 60 MG (6%)
    22. PINTO BEANS, COOKED, ½ CUP: 50 MG (5%)

FORTIFIED CEREAL (25%) + FORTIFIED NON-DAIRY MILK (45%) = 70% RDA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Urbanisation, people having never been on a farm in their lives.
    Anthropomorphism of animals.. seeing calves as "babies" as per those billboards.
    Influencers and interests having a stake in the non meat industry.
    Wealth, you tend to be less picky when there's not a lot of cash floating around.
    People looking for an alternative to religion.

auspicious wrote: »
    1. FORTIFIED ALMOND, SOY, OR RICE MILK, 8 OUNCES: 300-500MG (30-50%)
    2. FORTIFIED ORANGE JUICE, 8 OUNCES: 350 MG (35%)
    3. COLLARD GREENS, COOKED, 1 CUP: 270 MG (27%)
    4. FORTIFIED BREAKFAST CEREAL, 1 CUP DRY: 250-1000 MG (25-100%)
    5. TURNIP GREENS, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 200 MG (20%)
    6. MUSTARD GREENS, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 160 MG (16%)
    7. BOK CHOY, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 150 MG (15%)
    8. TEMPEH, 4 OUNCES: 120 MG (12%)
    9. TAHINI, 2 TABLESPOONS: 120 MG (12%)
    10. DRIED FIGS, 1/2 CUP: 120 MG (12%)
    11. EXTRA FIRM TOFU, 3 OUNCES: 100 MG – 150 MG (10-15%)
    12. OATS, INSTANT, 1 SERVING: 100 MG (10%)
    13. KALE, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 100 MG (10%)
    14. SHELLED EDAMAME, STEAMED, 1 CUP: 100 MG (10%)
    15. SILKEN TOFU, 3 OUNCES: 80 MG (8%)
    16. BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES, 1 TABLESPOON: 80 MG (8%)
    17. ALMOND BUTTER, 2 TABLESPOONS: 80 MG (8%)
    18. ALMONDS, 1 OUNCE: 80 MG (8%)
    19. ORANGE, 1 CUP SECTIONS: 70 MG (7%)
    20. NAVY BEANS, COOKED, ½ CUP: 65 MG (6.5%)
    21. BROCCOLI, STEAMED OR BOILED, 1 CUP: 60 MG (6%)
    22. PINTO BEANS, COOKED, ½ CUP: 50 MG (5%)

FORTIFIED CEREAL (25%) + FORTIFIED NON-DAIRY MILK (45%) = 70% RDA

So fortified with calcium? Sourced from where/what?

So fortified with calcium? Sourced from where/what?

Same way cow's milk is fortified with vitamins B, D, E, folic acid and calcium..?

• Advertisement

Same way cow's is fortified with vitamins B, D, E, folic acid and calcium..?

I get the impression you think I'm trying to be smart. I'm not. I have absolutely no idea how foods are fortified or how the vitamins and minerals used are sourced or where from. If foods are fortified with calcium where does it come from?

I get the impression you think I'm trying to be smart. I'm not. I have absolutely no idea how foods are fortified or how the vitamins and minerals used are sourced or where from. If foods are fortified with calcium where does it come from?

I don't.
    I don't know either. I'm sure there's vids on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Same way cow's milk is fortified with vitamins B, D, E, folic acid and calcium..?

There are fortified milks available but they only have added vitamins.
    Sources of calcium for fortification are either the minerals removed when making whey protein or limestone quarries from the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Have we reached the point yet where the stronger pasturalist nomads invade on horseback and eliminate the settled farmers and towns?
    Asking for a friend.

These chaps certainly had that view!
    https://player.fm/series/wrath-of-the-khans-series-dan-carlins-hardcore-history-2420352

I was actually thinking of the Turks invading Iran and the middle east.

https://youtu.be/YirWYMurJn4

That narrator in the clip above says the Crusades might not have been so much as Christian v's Muslim but as nomadic decending Turks coming from the east and threatening the settled farmers and middle east and then the Roman church putting the call out. The middle eastern farmers Christian or Muslim were all meeting the same fate. And not a vegan among the invaders..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I was actually thinking of the Turks invading Iran and the middle east.

https://youtu.be/YirWYMurJn4

That narrator in the clip above says the Crusades might not have been so much as Christian v's Muslim but as nomadic decending Turks coming from the east and threatening the settled farmers and middle east and then the Roman church putting the call out. The middle eastern farmers Christian or Muslim were all meeting the same fate. And not a vegan among the invaders..

From the Mongol pods it more or less the same, once the ball got rolling anyone who got in the way were viewed as game to be hunted until the chinese eventually showed they could be farmed instead.

From the Mongol pods it more or less the same, once the ball got rolling anyone who got in the way were viewed as game to be hunted until the chinese eventually showed they could be farmed instead.

I had to actually Google there if the Turks and Mongols weren't the same people such was the close timeline. And before that it was Attila the Hun.
    The Turks seemingly killed off all before them for land for grazing. And the Mongols were kind of making the conquered fight for them.
    Some great similarities between the plains Indians of north America and the Mongols and Turks of Asia bar maybe a native American leader like Genghis Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Wild aurochs have been extinct for quite a while cattle are their closest living descendant. They are so close infact to the original aurochs that there is a project to selectively breed auroch traits back into cattle for re-wilding.

Farmers know that most breeds of cattle and horses would not live over the winter without food and shelter. I dont claim to know about a vegan diet but I do know about farming and farm animals.
    Here is a farmers point of view https://blackfieldfarm.com/what-is-vegan-food-about/

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

The biggest problem with Veganism v Vegetarianism is that its just not possible to to be truly Vegan. Veganism relies on fortified foods. An essential vitamin for life is B12. The source of B12 is bacteria that live in plant eating animals guts. Ominvores get it through meat or animals products, Vegans get it from fortified cereals.

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12-vegan-sources/

"The vitamin B12 component in B12 supplements and fortified foods is made by bacteria and sourced from bacteria cultures; it is not taken from animal products"

The problem is the bacteria cultures, propionibacterium shermanii, are all cultured on a lactate medium! Essentially whey (as a waste product from cheese making) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    Farmers know that most breeds of cattle and horses would not live over the winter without food and shelter. I dont claim to know about a vegan diet but I do know about farming and farm animals.
    Here is a farmers point of view https://blackfieldfarm.com/what-is-vegan-food-about/

Thanks, I needed a farmers point of view! :D

I was referring to a program in a warmer climate using older breeds in central Europe where some areas are loosing natural grassland due to small farmers simply giving up and leaving the landscape with no natural grazing animals.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/return-of-the-aurochs

Advertisement