Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collection agency Three mobile

Options
  • 07-12-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello. I’m a French native who used to live in Ireland for 5 years. During my stay I had a contract for 3 years with Three mobile. The thing I came back live in France last summer and I live and work there now. I changed phone and I have a new phone contract in France. Try to cancel with Three but I had a hard time to do it. I just gave up as I was leaving and not planning to come back in Ireland except for holidays. They closed my account and I had yesterday an email from a collection agency asking me to call them ( probably to pay the last 3 months I can see they close my account ) I can’t pay them now I just spent 3000 euros in dental implants , should I ignored them ? Not living in Ireland anymore.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

jetez la lettre à la poubelle, oubliez-la

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Does it have anything to do with your previous post?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106799541

• Registered Users Posts: 9 French1991

No. My previous post was about a bill of 1000 euros that Three asked me to pay when i was travelling in Brazil In March 2018 . After 04 months fighting with them , they admit it was a mistake and I only paid 67 euros . But it took long time to deal with them wasn’t easy. Now I just tried to cancel with them but I just gave up , looks like it’s difficult as well. I have another contract in France , i will ignore the emails I don’t even have an adress in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

woejus wrote: »
    jetez la lettre à la poubelle, oubliez-la

Exactly. They can't touch you in another country.

bennyob wrote: »

Great attitude, remember that when you next hear someone complain about interest rates, difficulty in getting credit etc.

If someone owes money they should pay it, not paying is tantamount to theft.

• Advertisement

French1991 wrote: »
    I just spent 3000 euros in dental implants .

Irrelevant to me. Mez deux cent

Great attitude, remember that when you next hear someone complain about interest rates, difficulty in getting credit etc.

If someone owes money they should pay it, not paying is tantamount to theft.

What's the marginal cost of this customer's usage to the network?
    What's the marginal cost versus price charged per MB of data while roaming? Who was ripping us off charging 20c per text message for donkey's when the cost was almost 0?

Interest Rates and Credit have no bearing on our French friend skipping a phone bill.

They can't even touch you here for not paying the bill. All they can do is farm it out to low-rent goons like IJ etc.

What's the marginal cost of this customer's usage to the network?
    What's the marginal cost versus price charged per MB of data while roaming? Who was ripping us off charging 20c per text message for donkey's when the cost was almost 0?

Interest Rates and Credit have no bearing on our French friend skipping a phone bill.

They can't even touch you here for not paying the bill. All they can do is farm it out to low-rent goons like IJ etc.

The marginal cost is irrelevant, to stay in business a company needs to make a profit, every customer that doesn't pay their bill (which they signed up to and agreed to pay) reduces that profit. Sure one customer probably doesn't make much difference, but I doubt the OP is the only customer to fail to honour their contract.

A company then has two options, go out of business as investors fail to see a sufficient return or charge the other customers more.
    Guess which they do usually.

Regardless of the company's ability to enforce the debt, the moral duty to repay remains.

Thank you for your rehashing of second year business studies class. Your previous claims about interest rates and credit are irrelevant in this case. You likely have a point about people not paying for gaffs which they are currently living in, but this ain't the thread for it.

Pierre above said "Try to cancel with Three but I had a hard time to do it", then he retournez back au France - hence he was not using Trois mobile, and therefore costing Trois Mobile aucun cents.

HW Three Ireland made €200m EBITDA (+19%) against €591m revenue FY 2018, even with declining ARPU. They're doing fine. They don't need Pierre's notional €1000, in fact, it's been written off in their accounts. They haven't lost anything.

Thank you for your rehashing of second year business studies class. Your previous claims about interest rates and credit are irrelevant in this case. You likely have a point about people not paying for gaffs which they are currently living in, but this ain't the thread for it.

Pierre above said "Try to cancel with Three but I had a hard time to do it", then he retournez back au France - hence he was not using Trois mobile, and therefore costing Trois Mobile aucun cents.

HW Three Ireland made €200m EBITDA (+19%) against €591m revenue FY 2018, even with declining ARPU. They're doing fine. They don't need Pierre's notional €1000, in fact, it's been written off in their accounts. They haven't lost anything.

I never did business studies class, so I will take you calling it second year material as a compliment.

Perhaps the reason he couldn't cancel was he still had some months before the contract could end?

Debts are debts regardless of the amounts. An individual as you say won't make any difference, but he isn't the first nor the last I have seen here told to just ignore the debt as if it was only a game of monopoly.

The right thing for Pierre to do is to resolve the issue with Three, but as you say there is little that they can do about it if he doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

It really isn’t that hard.
    Call 1913.
    Ak for retentions.
    Tell them you are cancelling because you are moving abroad - no hard sell will ensue as what is the point?

Only reason it would be hard is:
    - you are within minimum term
    - you are in arrears
    - you plain simple couldn’t be bothered.

As for the OP - sure, if he never plans to return here, fine.
    But if he does, for any reason, then none of the telecoms operators will touch him as he’ll be marked in the Credit Insights database.

And he’s not untouchable either, if the debt is big enough they can seek a court order. Then, a declined phone contract in the future is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Being forced to complete a contract when you can no longer make use of the service is not a debt. It simply reflects the fact that the contract is written by the vendor and therefore written to their advantage.

rock22 wrote: »
    Being forced to complete a contract when you can no longer make use of the service is not a debt. It simply reflects the fact that the contract is written by the vendor and therefore written to their advantage.

When you sign a contract you commit to remaining subscribed to that service for X months. If you suddenly decide to move abroad 6 months in that is not the service provider’s doing and it does not mean you can walk away.

Only reason you would be in a contract these days is because you got a subsidised phone which is costed by the service provider over the contract length. Walk away early without paying then yes you are costing the provider and still availing of a service (the subsidised phone).

You’re nearly always better off buying your phone handset upfront and going onto a rolling 30 day SIM only contract anyway and then you don’t run into contract issues if your circumstances do change. The €1000 price tag of a high end phone these days can tend to put people a little off though when they get it from “free” on a contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

KildareP wrote: »
    It really isn’t that hard.
    Call 1913.
    Ak for retentions.
    Tell them you are cancelling because you are moving abroad - no hard sell will ensue as what is the point?

Only reason it would be hard is:
    - you are within minimum term
    - you are in arrears
    - you plain simple couldn’t be bothered.

As for the OP - sure, if he never plans to return here, fine.
    But if he does, for any reason, then none of the telecoms operators will touch him as he’ll be marked in the Credit Insights database.

And he’s not untouchable either, if the debt is big enough they can seek a court order. Then, a declined phone contract in the future is the least of your worries.

You make it sound so easy...but the reality is 3 are a nightmare to deal with.
    Ringing them with instructions doesnt work.

I recently changed banks they insisted i fill out a new DD mandate which they sent me.
    It took 2 forms and 4 months to finally go through.
    In that 4 months i was charged an extra 4e pm for being a nonDD customer and disconnected twice -once while abroad which was a disaster for me.
    They are useless I would be on the OPs side here.

Also that comms blacklist you mention isnt true you are making stuff up tbh..

Op dont pay . You tried and they couldnt process it. The debt agencies will just go away if you ignore them

You make it sound so easy...but the reality is 3 are a nightmare to deal with.
    Ringing them with instructions doesnt work.

I recently changed banks they insisted i fill out a new DD mandate which they sent me.
    It took 2 forms and 4 months to finally go through.
    In that 4 months i was charged an extra 4e pm for being a nonDD customer and disconnected twice -once while abroad which was a disaster for me.
    They are useless I would be on the OPs side here.

Also that comms blacklist you mention isnt true you are making stuff up tbh..

Op dont pay . You tried and they couldnt process it. The debt agencies will just go away if you ignore them
    I've dealt with them all - personal and corporate.
    Customer support is woeful.
    Retentions is the best run department of them all - they normally want to give you the hard sell.

If you don't want the hardsell tell them you are emigrating, going to jail, being deep frozen for 100 years etc and they have nothing to hard sell you with.

As for making things up, sorry to disappoint:
    https://www.three.ie/credit-insights/
    https://n.vodafone.ie/support/bill-pay-hub/bill-pay/credit-insight
    https://www.eir.ie/credit-insights/

KildareP wrote: »

Sorry I was being flippant - you prob arent *actually* making it up . T&Cs are one thing but in reality there is no issue going to another provider... esp eir with whom i have professional dealings with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

bennyob wrote: »

Not true. There are reciprocal agreements between countries that allow debt to be chased and enforced.

Mobile companies are well able to do it, bear in mind they have agreements in place RE roaming and operate in a number of countries.

The OP has a number of options here.

1) email the debt collection agency highlighting the debt is in dispute and they will not engage the debt collection agency until the dispute is resolved.

2) contact three in writing or email. Lodge a formal complaint and request a formal response. highlight the amount of times they requested cancellation. Request a full copy of all information they hold under data collection.

3) if three fail to act and adjust the bill accordingly, escalate to the ombudsman.

I doubt the op was in contract as they said they had been with them 3 years. However if the op had upgraded after r 2 years were up the debt is probably for the handset and needs to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sorry I was being flippant - you prob arent *actually* making it up . T&Cs are one thing but in reality there is no issue going to another provider... esp eir with whom i have professional dealings with

'Professional dealings' with them......like the postman has? Or the courier. Or the canteen lady. Or the cleaner. All experts in contract law. Like yourself.

Not true. There are reciprocal agreements between countries that allow debt to be chased and enforced.

I'm sure Three will be using all these international powers available to them, sparing no expense to recoup this costless "debt" from a dude in France. Get a grip lol :pac:

The OP's best option is to forget about it, stop worrying and to not be concerned with ill-informed, irrelevant "advice" such as yours.

Hoboo wrote: »
    'Professional dealings' with them......like the postman has? Or the courier. Or the canteen lady. Or the cleaner. All experts in contract law. Like yourself.

No. You dope.
    I worked for one of the companies eir used to outsource their customer service operations too and dealt with eir a lot.

No expert in contract law but i would know exactly how matters like this were dealt with(or not as was the case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 French1991

Well , the thing I always paid on time with them , but I had several issues. They wanted to charge me 1000 euros for one month for data I never used in Brazil. Then after 3 months and more than 100 calls to their customer service , they adjust the bill 67 euros and recognized it was a mistake. No service nearly for two months. I’m not looking for excuse not paying them but I was desperate asked her to split the bill in two 500 euros per month they refused even if the amount was wrong. To be honest I know it’s not the good attitude but I don’t know how they can manage all these debts. You guys have so many foreigners coming for one year and come back to their countries , I don’t think they can deal with all these people who are leaving the country without paying bills. It’s a bill phone I heard many people never paid loan or bill hospitals of course I’m not saying it’s a good thing But I’m pretty sure this happen way too much.

Advertisement