Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type wire

Options
  • 07-12-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

i currently have an old halogen pir light at the corner of the house which i intend to replace and it has some white flex going into it, but the wire is very short and id like to replace it at the junction box so it would match the black pvc, whats the most common type of black 1.5 mm wire suitable for outdoor lights

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Black flex, just about any electrical wholesaler will have it. There is a silicon type that is quite popular

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newuser555555

2011 wrote: »
    Black flex, just about any electrical wholesaler will have it. There is a silicon type that is quite popular

i was looking at nyy-j but i couldn't see a flex of it so ill look at 3183Y or see what the guys in the shop say

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I haven’t seen black NYMJ. It should be noted that this cable is not suitable for outdoor use as it is not UV resistant.

I haven’t seen black NYMJ. It should be noted that this cable is not suitable for outdoor use as it is not UV resistant.

that might explain why the current white wire is very weathered and somewhat brittle, thanks for the help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

NYY-J (Hi-Tuff) is black and UV tolerant for external use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Risteard81 wrote: »

Correct. It’s a lot more common in the north I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    Correct. It’s a lot more common in the north I find.

Very common in the north. NYM-J on the other hand is never used in the north.

Very common in the north. NYM-J on the other hand is never used in the north.

i was thinking something along the lines of this

tinyurl(dot)com/uob28sf

but if others have better suggestions feel free to suggest them

I referred specifically to NYMJ which is an entirely different cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I referred specifically to NYMJ which is an entirely different cable.

But the op mentioned NYYJ firstly

You Brought NYMJ into the conversation then advised not to use it

• Advertisement

But the op mentioned NYYJ firstly

You Brought NYMJ into the conversation then advised not to use it

My bad.
    You’re right, I misread the OP’s post :(

It is not a cable type that I use, I think it is more a UK thing.
    I think it is easier to purchase black flex by the meter.

My bad.
    You’re right, I misread the OP’s post :(

It is not a cable type that I use, I think it is more a UK thing.
    I think it is easier to purchase black flex by the meter.
    im happy to listen to all the advise thats being offered as when you google black flex alot of the results show solid wire than the stranded wire, and id like to do a like for like replacement apart from color

Advertisement