Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longer commute to work

• 07-12-2019 8:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

- Currently on a little over minimum wage but money was never an issue with me as I can budget well
    - Short walk to work (10 minutes)

- Not entirely happy with my job
    - Short commute is about the only good thing really
    - Always felt undermined in my job (won't go into details)

- Recently I have accepted a new job. Haven't started yet.
    - More pay in the new job
    - New job is a 50 minute walk
    - Or a 20 minute walk and 10 minutes on a bus
    - Or a 30 minute cycle (I am very unfit)

Is a new job worth it with a longer commute? Just travelling on a wet, cold, windy day or night will be a pain in the hole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

How much more are they paying you? If it's 50 minute walk that should only be a 10-15 minute cycle, once you get your fitness up.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That commute is grand and winter cycling ain’t no thing. You warm up very quickly and it doesn’t rain half as much as you’d think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I was doubting myself. Guess I need some rain gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

You wont be unfit for long if you cycle. Two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Get a moped with the extra pay.

Great craic and will have you there in 10 mins.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I was doubting myself. Guess I need some rain gear.

Good for you , wrap up , stick on the headphones and congrats on the new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Life is too short for staying in a job you hate. You've thought well about it and considered all options. Get that bike and rain gear, have a leap card on you just in case and off you go.

Well done, enjoy your new job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

- Currently on a little over minimum wage but money was never an issue with me as I can budget well
    - Short walk to work (10 minutes)

- Not entirely happy with my job
    - Short commute is about the only good thing really
    - Always felt undermined in my job (won't go into details)

- Recently I have accepted a new job. Haven't started yet.
    - More pay in the new job
    - New job is a 50 minute walk
    - Or a 20 minute walk and 10 minutes on a bus
    - Or a 30 minute cycle (I am very unfit)

Is a new job worth it with a longer commute? Just travelling on a wet, cold, windy day or night will be a pain in the hole.

Is this a joke or?
    20 min walk, wear decent rain gear if weather is rubbish, 1p mins on a bus to get the heat back into you then work. 30 mins cycle in the summer when the sun is beaming will be lovely. If its rubbish, again, proper rain gear. If weather is fine, 50 mins and headphones. Be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That commute is grand and winter cycling ain’t no thing. You warm up very quickly and it doesn’t rain half as much as you’d think.

Cyclists frequently say this and yet it tends to rain exactly as much as I think it does; a big clue being the water coming from the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

People are travelling hours and hundred of Kms to earn a few quid and your complaining about a 20-40 min cycle?

Some people leave on a Sunday and return on a Friday

If you don’t want to cycle get one of those electric scooter jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Cyclists frequently say this and yet it tends to rain exactly as much as I think it does; a big clue being the water coming from the sky.

Point missed.

I spent a year cycling to work in what was considered a very bad weather year in one of the statistically rainiest part of the country and I rarely got drenched. It rains on many days in Ireland but it rarely rains continuously. That’s crucial. It often looks like it’s going to rain more than it actually rains. The cycle to and from work often won’t coincide with rain. Then, even if it’s raining during either journey, if it’s light rain, you’re often moving too fast to get anything other than a tiny bit wet, the kind of superficial wetness that is dry within minutes once indoors. I preferred cycling in winter, late autumn and early spring. A far less sweaty endeavour. Very pleasant once warmed up and that happens quickly.

So when cyclists say that, they are counteracting the notion that cycling to work means regular drenchings, because that’s not their experience. They saying it for a reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Febreeze wrote: »
    Is this a joke or?
    20 min walk, wear decent rain gear if weather is rubbish, 1p mins on a bus to get the heat back into you then work. 30 mins cycle in the summer when the sun is beaming will be lovely. If its rubbish, again, proper rain gear. If weather is fine, 50 mins and headphones. Be grand

I got very used to living close to work.

Advertisement