Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Christmas Movie - Boardsies Decide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Deck the halls with Hans Gruber bloods, la, la, la, la, la, laaaa

Do a line with Ellis on the table, tra la la la la

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Trigger wrote: »
    Missed the whole bloody thing wth! Gremlins gets 3rd place because Rikand needs to write a big long word.. boooo

If you're not first, you're last

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Open it, give it until 22:00 and call it.
    Be surprised if 15 has not been reached by then anyway.

some awful weirdos lurk these halls overnight.

Okay, I can make it until 10pm, so we'll do this (as compensation for me not thanking your vote, though it had been counted :))

Trigger wrote: »
    Missed the whole bloody thing wth! Gremlins gets 3rd place because Rikand needs to write a big long word.. boooo

Besides, it's all the people who voted against christmas that let gremlins win

GRAND FINAL

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

v

Die Hard (1988)

Voting closes 10pm sharp. Reasons required.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s A Wonderful Life, made in 1946 and still amazing! Jimmy Steward does it all every emotion, it has such a lovely message to it and anytime I hear a bell it reminds me of Clarence. Do the right thing boardsies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, I can make it until 10pm, so we'll do this (as compensation for me not thanking your vote, though it had been counted :))

Is this real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Hans Gruuuber,
    Falling fantastically,

Open your eyes,
    Look the skies and seeeeeeeeee!

Die Hard is a staple in my household, so much so that even my wife has adopted it. Its simply fantastic. Hats, catch lines, guns and explosions. Can't wait until the kids are old enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It's a Wonderful life gets my vote (I may be a voice in the wilderness) it is the essential Christmas movie but I'd watch Die Hard anytime of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Die hard, the ultimate Christmas movie, nothing like sitting down on Christmas day with a belly full of grub and watching John McClane and his Christmas hat jump through windows.

My first vote of the comp, so if you dont want to include it, it's all good. Only fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Die Hard

Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman

German terrorists.

Great one lines, happy ending, bad guys loose in the end.

It's got explosions, Christmas trees, santa hats and machines.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's a wonderful life, it's got that Christmas feel good factor and Diehard is just a movie set at Xmas time, it could just as easily be set at any time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Die Hard because it's the best.

Endlessly quotable

Action

terrorists

Willis in a wife beater for the ladies

Alan Rickman with a brilliant performance as Hans Gruber

It's gotta be Die Hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Die Hard

Was there ever any doubt this would make the final. It's up against some stiff competition, but for pure re-watchability and quotability it has to be my choice for winner!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's A Wonderful Life .

Old movie , story still relevant today , we all need a touch of reality at times , even if it is in b/w , and for the last time , because Die Hard is not a Christmas movie :p

(I'm expecting DH to win easily though dammit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Die Hard. Hans Gruber falling out the window gives me all the Christmas feels.

Is a wonderful life
    Because it's got that lovely message, it's a real Christmas movie.
    Did hard is not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Die Hard.

Great script, great actors.

Great performance for Alan Rickman as Hans.

Ho Ho Ho, now I have a machine gun ..

Yippee-kayeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Two very worthy candidates in the final

But it has to be Die Hard. So many quotable scenes, one of the greatest ever movie villains in Alan Rickman, and every 1980's film cliche in the book

IAWL has a lot going for it too, given the uplifting ending, some people forget just how dark it is.

But Die Hard it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭tonytiger81

It's a wonderful life - it's a movie you watch once a year to remind you how your actions affect others. Die Hard can be watched any time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

It's a Wonderful Life because "Uncle Billy: Uncle Billy: They did it, they did it, George, they voted Potter down,"

• Advertisement

It's a Wonderful Life because "Uncle Billy: Uncle Billy: They did it, they did it, George, they voted Potter down,"

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

Die Hard because I’ve watched it LOTS of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Die Hard for all the reasons already listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Is a wonderful life
    because I am being paid to vote againt Die Hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Clarabel

i mean cause Is a wonderful life
    is a wonderful Christmas movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I love both of these films and watch them both every Christmas but for me it has to be It's a Wonderful Life

Die Hard is the ultimate action film and a Christmas classic with an excellent combination of violence and humour

But for me It's A Wonderful Life IS Christmas and everything it entails

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Voting for Its a Wonderful Life. It's got snow, kids, charity, hugs and love is all around

Clarabel wrote: »
    Is a wonderful life
    because I am being paid to vote againt Die Hard
    I'll double it.

DIE HARD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

The Santa Clause surely is one of the best Christmas movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭1percent

Die hard!
    Because it is a more believable movie than George NOT going to prison in the end of IAWL! Just because the town had a whip around does my mean the money has not been embezzled, Potter will still get the bank AND the whip around money, and the official guy losses his job for gross misconduct for turning a blind eye.

Ps. spoiler alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Die Hard

There was nothing in this movie that when you watch it again and again, you want to fast forward through. Every scene has something.
    And, Willis was made for the role. Or the role was made for him, Or whatever, it was just a perfect storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

die hard, best xmas film ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Die Hard because of Bruce Willis.

Can't believe Elf and Bad Santa didn't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

1percent wrote: »
    Die hard!
    Because it is a more believable movie than George NOT going to prison in the end of IAWL! Just because the town had a whip around does my mean the money has not been embezzled, Potter will still get the bank AND the whip around money, and the official guy losses his job for gross misconduct for turning a blind eye.

Ps. spoiler alert!

It wasn't embezzled you silly moo - Potter was given it by mistake, everyone knows Potter had it! If anyone's going to prison it's Potter and he will shortly end up as the filling in a sex sandwich between two men called Mandy - it was another deleted scene, in case anyone is wondering

Die Hard

• Advertisement

Die hard

because it's not a christmas movie. It's an action movie that takes place at christmas

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Die Hard, it embraces all we hold dear about Christmas. You have the triumph of good over evil as Hans Gruber plummets 30 storeys to his demise. You have redemption when Al Powell blows away Karl as he makes one final attempt to kill John McClane. There's the office Christmas party with the resident dick (sorry Ellis, that's you) and inappropriate sexual encounters. But most of all, it's a family film as John is reunited with Holly (the most Christmassy of names I should point out). If ever a film was designed to be the ultimate feelgood Christmas film, it's Die Hard.

Rikand wrote: »
    Die hard

because it's not a christmas movie. It's an action movie that takes place at christmas

Class is in session Rikand.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Die Hard, it embraces all we hold dear about Christmas. You have the triumph of good over evil as Hans Gruber plummets 30 storeys to his demise. You have redemption when Al Powell blows away Karl as he makes one final attempt to kill John McClane. There's the office Christmas party with the resident dick (sorry Ellis, that's you) and inappropriate sexual encounters. But most of all, it's a family film as John is reunited with Holly (the most Christmassy of names I should point out). If ever a film was designed to be the ultimate feelgood Christmas film, it's Die Hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Die hard gets my vote

I said to myself before this started, only one movie would beat DH, that was Home Alone. I'm going to stick by my word. I could watch this movie any time of year, never gets old. Many joke wether its a xmas movie or not, there is no arguement that its excellent and a worthy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

pc7 wrote: »
    It’s A Wonderful Life, made in 1946 and still amazing! Jimmy Steward does it all every emotion, it has such a lovely message to it and anytime I hear a bell it reminds me of Clarence. Do the right thing boardsies

What he said

Its a Wonderful Life as it is an uplifting beautiful emotional movie with a wonderful cast and Clarence

Every time a bell rings
    another angel gets their wings

• Advertisement

If die hard does deserve to win the christmas movie competition, its definitely down to this guy.

Sure he even leaves a little bit of snow on that desk!

latest?cb=20130607215554

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

It has to be it's a wonderful life because it is the classic film movie.Still makes me cry every Christmas. It's not one you watch at any other time of the year.

Die Hard on other hand has Christmas references but I've watched it at various times during the year as it's a classic action film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Die Hard because it taught me how to make fists with my toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yester wrote: »
    Die Hard because it taught me how to make fists with my toes.

I'd like to hear more about your toe fist punching.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Die Hard: for the over the top character played by Bruce Willis, for the wonderful portrayal of a mad baddie by Alan Rickman, for the humour and, most of all, for the action.

Think that's it.

source.gif

I missed loads today. All my picks are gone and THIS is what we're left with!!!!! What the hell!!!!!!! Ok I vote die hard because this is all gone to ****e anyway so the best Christmas movie might as well be NOT a Christmas movie. Yipee Kai yay muthaf*****s. I do like me some Bruce Willis.

But seriously.. what the hell people?!?!

Voting closed. Please stand by .....

And the Official Boardsies Best Christmas Film is ........

Die Hard (1988)

(I shoulda spent the hour prepping some gifs but I never thought until now :P)

Final score 20-12.

quickbeam wrote: »
    And the Official Boardsies Best Christmas Film is ........

Die Hard (1988)

Final score 20-12.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement