Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working before exams?

Options
  • 07-12-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Have 5 college exams starting on the 6th and ending on the 14th January, if I fail any of them then I will have to resit in August. I have previous experience and the boss knows me from the local gastro wants me to work Christmas week from about December 22nd up until after New year's Day. I'm not in bad need of the money as I have savings from summer and loads of grant money so should I just work or would it be wiser to not and just concentrating on study instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

Speaking as an exam veteran. I'm in my fourth year of uni exams now.

It depends on a few things. But five exams is typically the most people can handle (it is a lot). It burns you out as you go through them.

three is usually regarded as grand and four is more challenging.

Say you would be able to study probably only for a few days before exams start and in between exams, I'm doubtful it's enough. But it depends on your subject area. And what kind of grades you want to come out with.

If you want A's or B's you need to put in a good amount of work. If you want C's or D's (which I don't recommend aiming that low) Then by all means take the risk and work.

These are first year exams , they may not count towards you degree classification?My first year ones didnt.

Personally given your circumstances I wouldnt work. But I know people who did work and did ok but they did so out of necessity.

It's later down the road in the final year of college it causes problems combining study and work.

Keep this in mind if you decide to work during first year exams, and it works that doesn't mean it will work out the same way for you in the further years of degree.

Advertisement