Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Builders everywhere

• 07-12-2019 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

There seems to be an absolute overrun of builders in town these days. Not the decent mannerly ones like you used to get in town but the type of roll up smoking scaffolding hammering ruffians that you used to only see in new house builds.

I’m a cultured guy but I can rough it with the best of them. The other day there was six people queuing on one side for two coffee machines in a corner shop/deli then a chap with a neck tattoo walks up to the second machine and starts queing right when the fella ahead of him finishes.

I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is empty”.

I was weighing up whether to just hit him once and take my beating or not when he just toddled off like he had actually helped us.

A lot of them spit on the street where they stand. Then just stand beside it like some sort of gorilla that’s proud to have no manners. They beep at my when I cycle because I’m not in a cycle lane.

Some of them wear tracksuit bottoms with work boots.

I seen a table of them in starbucks the other day getting up and just leaving all their crap on the table for the poor barista to clean. Some of it was tinfoil off sandwiches they brought in with them.

Their dusty trousers left marks on the seat. I asked the barista why he puts up with them but he didn’t seem bothered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

FFS.... generalize much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

BDI wrote: »
    There seems to be an absolute overrun of builders in town these days. Not the decent mannerly ones like you used to get in town but the type of roll up smoking scaffolding hammering ruffians that you used to only see in new house builds.

I’m a cultured guy but I can rough it with the best of them. The other day there was six people queuing on one side for two coffee machines in a corner shop/deli then a chap with a neck tattoo walks up to the second machine and starts queing right when the fella ahead of him finishes.

I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is empty”.

I was weighing up whether to just hit him once and take my beating or not when he just toddled off like he had actually helped us.

A lot of them spit on the street where they stand. Then just stand beside it like some sort of gorilla that’s proud to have no manners. They beep at my when I cycle because I’m not in a cycle lane.

I seen a table of them in starbucks the other day getting up and just leaving all their crap on the table for the poor barista to clean. Some of it was tinfoil off sandwiches they brought in with them.

Their dusty trousers left marks on the seat. I asked the barista why he puts up with them but he didn’t seem bothered.
    Those ruffian types built the pavements you walk on and the buildings you frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Those ruffian types built the pavements you walk on and the buildings you frequent.

Well why can’t they do it with manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The builders working next door have thick Wicklow accents. Maybe because they are from Wicklow. Maybe because we are in deep Wicklow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep....the boom (bubble) is back, baby!!

Nowhere near enough houses and apts being built to meet the shortage...but all those 60s and 70s office blocks being torn down are being replaced by bigger glass boxes.

Have breakfast rolls made a comeback in shops yet?

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    The builders working next door have thick Wicklow accents. Maybe because they are from Wicklow. Maybe because we are in deep Wicklow.

Probably from Mayo. Plenty of Mayo students start talking like they are from d4 or posh Wicklow once they are here a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Any sane person can only assume this is a piss take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Return of the Aonghus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

Fool of a thread OP.
    Bit of an ignorant dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Worse is, they probably earn waaaaay more than you :D

• Advertisement

Probably on twice what I’m on and spend it on runners and other shiny stuff that doesn’t hold its value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Not now that there is so many of them.
    Ten a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Cos he had a neck tat? All it would take is someone to say, hey we are all queuing up here. get in line.

BTW, you are no Angus von Bismarck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This behavior drives me absolutely batshît crazy...

It’s majorly prevalent in airports, I’m about number 6 in the slow moving security screening Q... the bloke in front of me he keeps messaging on his phone and looking back... then three other lads start pushing up beside the Q... “sorry, I’m with this lad here” *pointing* now I’m number 9.... I’ve 12-15 more minutes to be stuck in a Q when I should be already sitting down in front of a pint... wañkers...

Notdeco wrote: »
    Cos he had a neck tat? All it would take is someone to say, hey we are all queuing up here. get in line.

BTW, you are no Angus von Bismarck

I seen one of them the other day buying a box of painkillers ahead of me. He walked outside and took three all at once.

It says on every box ever to take two at a time. Madness.

Probably on twice what I’m on and spend it on runners and other shiny stuff that doesn’t hold its value.

Jealousy must be an awful bitter pill to swallow

Jealousy must be an awful bitter pill to swallow

These lads would take three jealousy pills at a time even if the box said take two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

If you're biting your tongue and shaking I suggest you lay off the coffee for a while.

auspicious wrote: »
    If you're biting your tongue and shaking I suggest you lay off the coffee for a while.

I will kick my coffee habit as soon as I sort out this builder mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The reason why the barista didn't mind them is because generally lads like this are hassle free apart from picking up a few papers, cups,etc.

• Advertisement

The reason why the barista didn't mind them is because generally lads like this are hassle free apart from picking up a few papers, cups,etc.

I seen one looking at a girl like he wanted to rip her jocks off right there in the centra. Like some kind of feral dog.

I’d say she was terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are all drawing the dole as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If I see one of them throwing their change in the bin that's when I'll be getting properly worried... and also quite relieved that soon i'll be able to buy a house for pennies

I seen one looking at a girl like he wanted to rip her jocks off right there in the centra. Like some kind of feral dog.

I’d say she was terrified.

She may have being terrified of the builder and intimidated by your superiority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Op you sound like a right snowflake..

She may have being terrified of the builder and intimidated by your superiority.

I just hung back, making eye contact letting her know I could rescue her if the **** hit the fan. I was terrified. I think she sensed that because she just whispered to her friend and they both giggled and walked off.

Thank God.

I just hung back, making eye contact letting her know I could rescue her if the **** hit the fan. I was terrified. I think she sensed that because she just whispered to her friend and they both giggled and walked off.

Thank God.

I'd say they were whispering and giggling about you!

I'd say they were whispering and giggling about you!

I wouldn’t say so. I’m not really much of a joker. I used to try to be but people used to just get annoyed at me so I decided to just be a serious person and was fairly successful with it.

I wouldn’t say so. I’m not really much of a joker. I used to try to be but people used to just get annoyed at me so I decided to just be a serious person and was fairly successful with it.

Yes, that's why they were laughing at you because your so serious and a judgmental and you aren't hiding it very well.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's why they were laughing at you because your so serious and a judgmental and you aren't hiding it very well.

Hiding what?

I just put boxers and trousers over it. I don’t play hide and seek with it in centra.

Hiding what?

I just put boxers and trousers over it. I don’t play hide and seek with it in centra.

So, you don't hide that you threat people with no respect and you look down on builders. Thanks for clearing that. They were certainly laughing at you.

So, you don't hide that you threat people with no respect and you look down on builders. Thanks for clearing that. They were certainly laughing at you.

You weren’t there I wasn’t the one in the hi viz vest.

You weren’t there I wasn’t the one in the hi viz vest.

I know how you come across from you OP even the fact that you went up to barista to make some kind of comment!

I know how you come across from you OP even the fact that you went up to barista to make some kind of comment!

I know the barista because I go there everyday at 1 pm and tip him fairly. Once he asked my name to write on the coffee cup and I asked him his for the laugh and pretended to write it on my imaginary cup and we laughed and it transpired we both liked Nick Cave.

I know the barista because I go there everyday at 1 pm and tip him fairly. Once he asked my name to write on the coffee cup and I asked him his for the laugh and pretended to write it on my imaginary cup and we laughed and it transpired we both liked Nick Cave.

Cut out that sort of nonsense if you want to improve your serious person rating.

• Advertisement

Hold up, WTF is going on here?
    When did
    this barista talk coming to this?
    They were queuing up for a coffee machine,MACHINE.

No barista was involved in the op story. It was in a deli with 2 machines. Jeezes

Edit:ah I see he/she added more to the story.

Cut out that sort of nonsense if you want to improve your serious person rating.

It was the old me, but I kept him on as a friend even though I turned serious because it’s hard to find people to talk about Nick Cave in real life.

They normally say “was he the fella that did that song with Kylie”

Makes me bite my tongue and vibrate.

Poor barista should be given early retirement if you call every day!

Notdeco wrote: »
    Hold up, WTF is going on here?
    When did
    this barista talk coming to this?
    They were queuing up for a coffee machine,MACHINE.

No barista was involved in the op story. It was in a deli with 2 machines. Jeezes

You struggle with reading comprehension. That’s ok we all’s struggle with different things. I struggle with being funny but I thrive at being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:
    I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is emptyâ€.

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:
    I’m biting my tongue, I’m shaking with fury but the fella has a 6 inch reach advantage about two teeth and 6 or 7 stone on me all I can do is give him a dirty look and he turns sees me and says like we are idiots, “why are six of yous queing for that machine when this one is emptyâ€.

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

BDI wrote:

Down with those sort of people!!

• Advertisement

You struggle with reading comprehension. That’s ok we all’s trughle with different things. I struggle with being funny but I thrive at being serious.
    The barista bit was not there when I read your post for the first time.

Poor barista should be given early retirement if you call every day!

Poor Barista gets sent a stick from head office each month with the playlist on it and just throws it in the bin and plays wall to wall Nick Cave. Total Legend.

Thank God.

Ah stop, you wouldn't kick snow off a washing line :rolleyes:

Ah stop, you wouldn't kick snow off a washing line :rolleyes:

I know but I would have volunteered my body to be beaten. While she made her escape.

I was scared ****less and still willing to step in. This is what real hero’s do. 20 stone white knights don’t know fear. They arnt hero’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I know but I would have volunteered my body to be beaten. While she made her escape.

I was scared ****less and still willing to step in. This is what real hero’s do. 20 stone white knights don’t know fear. They arnt hero’s.

Yeah I thought there was a touch of sadomasochism about this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The one thing that bothers me about this is why the fcuk were 6 people queuing for 1 coffee machine when there was another 1 free

auspicious wrote: »
    Yeah I thought there was a touch of sadomasochism about this thread ;)

A lot of people don’t know themselves because they only protect themselves. When you chose to protect others even though you will come out of it with a beating, only then, can you feel like a godlike figure.

Only then are you deserving of a family. I am deserving, I’m ready I just need to meet them.

A lot of people don’t know themselves because they only protect themselves. When you chose to protect others even though you will come out of it with a beating, only then, can you feel like a godlike figure.

The whole thing is based on your inability to read eye contact correctly.

The one thing that bothers me about this is why the fcuk were 6 people queuing for 1 coffee machine when there was another 1 free

There was two. It’s a bit of a roulette when two machines are in operation. You get one guy who takes an age and blocks up one machine. So civilised people realise we are all on a lunch break with time constraints and we all que in orderly fashion and nobody will end up stuck behind some guy who can’t figure out where the large lids are. It’s common decency for your fellow man and if somebody who can help you ever sees you in jeopardy he may recall a time when you behaved like a selfish slob in a coffee que when he chooses to be brave for your benefit.

The whole thing is based on your inability to read eye contact correctly.

You got a laugh earlier( and it was funny) now you are suggesting something that if I seen somebody getting slagged over at the coffee machine I would not be happy. I do not have the symptoms of autism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement