Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would have thought cancelling the card and sending the customer a new one was the obvious solution here instead of hours and hours of over and back with support. I don't know why Revolut didn't do that. It is usually the first port of call, when a card has been used fraudulently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When I started reading this article, my first reaction was that it was an old article.... except it is actually from yesterday. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think we've had this story before a couple of months back... of if not one very similar although I can't remember which bank or even if I heard it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I didnt realise the story was from yesterday until you mentioned it. I have definitely read something very similar on this thread not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Giving how simple it is to suspend or even terminate a card in the App I wonder where the complication is.

If a charge shows up that is not valid, I suspend the card and if don't get a satisfactory answer, I terminate the card.

Plus, even if someone calls and claims to be my financial services provider, I don't entertain it, even if they have parts of information. Especially financial providers which usually on have a chatbot or CS via online features.

Sure the service was horrible for that person, but seriously, suspend/terminate is an easy click in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A poster on here willingly transferred all his money from his bank to revolut THEN Transferred it to the scammers revolut, then tried to call the banks incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's what I thought when I read that article. You can individually turn off contactless, online purchases, swipe and ATM withdrawals and you can freeze or terminate the card. But I still regard their support as weak and would never have more than €100 in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There has been a lot of those fear mongering type articles as of late. It's good to have people aware of what can happen, but most of the issues come down to an external scam and user error. If you're not sure how something works don't keep 1000's in there

Gotta keep in mind there's more users than ever using Revolut and there's more features than ever that are dead easy to use, maybe too easy to use for some who aren't sure what they're doing. In that case maybe the legacy banks are for them but they will have to accept the lack of features and the monthly cost.

The legacy banks may have better customer service or fraud teams, but they have far less features available and accessible in comparison which will naturally keep fraud lower. As mentioned there's also simple ways to block cards and cancel online transactions and ATM withdrawals in the Revolut app that takes seconds.

A combination of both is the best way to use Revolut for me but if you know what's what you should be fine. If not, don't keep 10k in there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You also have to remember that Revolut probably have more active customers than any other bank so they are probably more likely to be scammed as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Habata

Is there a way to top up a revolut account with a prepaid card? A relative wants to lodge a one off small amount to an account as a present, and they've no active bank card.

Just wondering if there's something like a card you can load and use like a normal bank card.

Couldn't they just do a bank transfer from their account to the Revolut account.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

What interest rate do Revolut currently pay on Euro idle cash balance? I can only find the rates for Pounds and Dollars.

Looks like positive news for once:

Revolut, the London-based fintech firm, has posted its first annual profit after missing multiple deadlines to release its financials.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If I started getting scam alerts I think the first thing I'd do is move my balance into a vault so my account has zero in it - they can't get anything then. Once the dust settles and new cards issued etc, move it back

Yes BUT there have now been several reports that "Revolut’s auditor warns 2021 revenues ‘may be materially misstated’"

Revolut auditor flags concern about $576 mln of revenue in long-delayed 2021 accounts | Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Usually I take stories I read about Revolut closing users accounts "for no reason" with a pinch of salt because I don't think they're telling the full story, but I've seen a number of posts on Reddit of people getting their accounts suspended and then closed and the thing they have in common is buying Pokémon Go coins from the Turkish Play Store.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? If that's the actual reason I'm surprised I haven't heard about it here with the amount of users getting their YouTube/Disney/Netflix subs from cheaper countries.

• Advertisement

Not Revolut but I lost access to my Monese account for months when I installed it on a new phone. I opened the app to log into it, did the security verification stuff (look into the camera, turn your head left etc.). Then I got a notification and an email that my account was blocked for security reasons and the security team would contact me with the next steps. I replied to the email and never got a response. I kept emailing them back and after about 3 months they replied saying my account was unblocked. Do you really think that is acceptable?

Even in the scenario you are talking about do you really think it is ok for someone to be locked out of their bank account for months or it being closed because they bought something on a foreign google play store? Why is that acceptable? I have done it years ago with my KBC and PTSB accounts and it was never a problem. Why is it a problem for Revolut? Sure it looks suspicious and could be a case of the person's card details being used without their knowledge but you don't lock them out of their account for months or close it. You just block the transaction and contact them and ask them if it is legit or not.

I'll enjoy the to and fro when more people make it their main bank account and then start whining when something goes like blocking or app failing etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Of course I don't think it's acceptable for them to close an account immediately and refuse to engage with the user. I know if it's to do with AML they can't discuss it but from what I read some of the users on Reddit who had their accounts closed only used it for purchasing in game purchases with their Revolut cards.

I find it kinda worrying as someone who uses Revolut to subscribe to a number of services abroad (not all to get cheaper prices, some not available in Ireland). This isn't something that would have even crossed my mind before seeing these posts.

I would take what people say about why their account was closed with a very large pinch of salt. You can't know what actually happened and it is extremely unlikely they will have been told either since the banks would need to break the AML rules they operate under in order to discuss it with the customer.

I spent several years working in this area, although not in Ireland and based on that experience I'd be extremely skeptical of anyone telling me their account was closed because they made a single purchase of a game from an online vendor. It is just not credible. The most likely cause I can imagine that might lead to such a claim would be that they either failed to comply with an AML request or that the source of the funds used to make the purchase was suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got an email about credit cards coming, what is the difference to what we have already

I know probably a stupid question

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can spend money you don't have and pay it back over time.

And that raises a question, if you have the Pay Later feature which essentially is a credit account that you only can access via a card, should that not also attract Stamp Duty giving that Stamp duty is not on the card but on the underlying credit account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

So my Revolut account is blocked since the last 24 hours. I can see that they require further info like payslip which I submitted yesterday. Still can't access anything and today I received a new message stating that they want to know if I lived in another country via Know Your customer (KYC) legal requirement.

Anyone gone through same?

Thank God, Revolut is not my primary bank account.

Advertisement