Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?

Revolut cards for irish customers are supposedly coded for Ireland. So it does not matter. But as for payments from irish cards or banks only: they also have to accept DD for any EU bank account. Lots don't, but that's how it is.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Marlow wrote: »
    Revolut cards for irish customers are supposedly coded for Ireland. So it does not matter. But as for payments from irish cards or banks only: they also have to accept DD for any EU bank account. Lots don't, but that's how it is.

/M

when did this come in? Mine are all UK coded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

/M
    I don't think Electric Ireland or FBD accept payments/direct debits with Revolut.

I'm not 100% sure so I'll double check tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I paid Bord Gáis. I also paid sky, I used revolut to pay them both before. But the transactions are showing up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I don't think Electric Ireland or FBD accept payments/direct debits with Revolut.

I pay my Electric Ireland all the time with my revolut card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are you sure the company accepts payment from Revolut. I would have thought that they only accept payments from cards issued by Irish Banks.[/QUOTE

Utility companies will only accept direct debits from banks in the country where the payment is being made. I think with a single payment we can use any card we wish.

/M

Revolut are located in Lithuania and have an EU license to bank in Europe.
    I expect this is the reason that we can have debit anywhere in Europe.
    Below is from a few years ago and interesting for customers.

Forgot to ask how do we know which country our card coded for?
    I assume mine UK, when i was transferring funds to UK i just need sort code + account #
    I find Revolut handy, will they be around in 10 years?

ww.theguardian.com › money › dec › lithuania-iceland-banking-revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut are located in Lithuania and have an EU license to bank in Europe.
    I expect this is the reason that we can have debit anywhere in Europe.
    Below is from a few years ago and interesting for customers.

Forgot to ask how do we know which country our card coded for?
    I assume mine UK, when i was transferring funds to UK i just need sort code + account #
    I find Revolut handy, will they be around in 10 years?

ww.theguardian.com › money › dec › lithuania-iceland-banking-revolut

Right now 95% of revolut customers in Europe are using the UK electronic money license.

Some customers in Lithuania are using the Lithuanian electronic money license and with Brexit all EU customers will be moved onto that, NOT their bank license.

US customers are served by their US banking partner under that bank license.

You can attempt to check your bin (first 8 digits of your card) in a BIN checker online to see how the card is coded. That is not always reliable. Reliable is only to read out the EMV and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Utility companies will only accept direct debits from banks in the country where the payment is being made. I think with a single payment we can use any card we wish.

That is not correct, if they offer direct debit they are legally required to accept any SEPA compliant payment account.

The only possible hurdle is that they might require you to fill out a paper based mandate but they can not refuse payment depending on where you account is based.

You can complain to the regulator, there are multiple threads on boards about this.

That's interesting as i was with someone a couple of years ago when they were told that they must have a Spanish account to set-up direct debit for electric.
    I cannot imagine getting anywhere with Spanish regulator on this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

How do you contact revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

How do you contact revolut.

Type Live chat in the support (Rita) in the app or there good on twitter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Is there a difference between the re-verification documents required for Revolut customers in ROI and NI/UK? Relative in NI has been asked to re-verify and was given a list of possibilities that included a driving licence.

I know it's passport only here, so I advised her of this, but she says this is what she was advised to provide by CS? Her passport (used initially) has now expired and she's not likely to want to purchase one just to keep Revolut, when the need for one in terms of travel is currently redundant.

I myself had to re-verify a while back with the same passport I had used in the beginning. I hope this doesn't become an ongoing problem with Revolut as I imagine quite a few people won't be renewing their out of date passports for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Not working for top up now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Should we move all our money to Revoult before the government start pilfering our funds?

Should we move all our money to Revoult before the government start pilfering our funds?

You could make a nice pillow/mattress. the €5 are very comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

So for those of us using it as a day-to-day account, I lost my job the other day and applied for the pandemic payment. Revolut is not accepted. I had to give them a family member’s IBAN. But, if this is going to go on for months, I’m going to get my own Irish account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m sure a man as conspiracy loving as yourself couldn’t believe the big bad government wouldn’t be able to find your revolut account while they’re looking through your phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Elysium1 wrote: »
    So for those of us using it as a day-to-day account, I lost my job the other day and applied for the pandemic payment. Revolut is not accepted. I had to give them a family member’s IBAN. But, if this is going to go on for months, I’m going to get my own Irish account.

I set up an N26 account the other day. Was up and running within 15 mins after uploading passport. Could be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I set up an N26 account the other day. Was up and running within 15 mins after uploading passport. Could be an option for you?

Think it has to be paid into an Irish account.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Is Revolut and N26 not the exact same thing?

Is Revolut and N26 not the exact same thing?

No .. the are both Fintech banks.

Revolut is based in the UK with an eMoney license and lately also a european banking license. Revolut is probably the more progressive, supports multiple currencies, stock trading, topping up by debit card etc. Also Revolut is Mastercard for their metal customer, Visa for anything else.

N26 always was a full on bank based out of Germany. They only do one currency and the only way of putting money in there is by SEPA transfer. N26 is Mastercard Debit.

/M

Revolut funds in Barclays Bank...

No .. the are both Fintech banks.

Revolut is based in the UK with an eMoney license and lately also a european banking license. Revolut is probably the more progressive, supports multiple currencies, stock trading, topping up by debit card etc. Also Revolut is Mastercard for their metal customer, Visa for anything else.

N26 always was a full on bank based out of Germany. They only do one currency and the only way of putting money in there is by SEPA transfer. N26 is Mastercard Debit.

/M

Thanks for that good info.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

N26 always was a full on bank based out of Germany. They only do one currency and the only way of putting money in there is by SEPA transfer
    They are now trialling transfers by Debit Card, you can only do it once for now

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Revolut funds in Barclays Bank...

I think the point they were making is that the Emergency Payments have to be lodged to an Irish bank account; Barclays is a UK based bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Anyone have an experience with Revolut's mobile phone insurance? What is claiming like?

I see it only covers damage, with no loss or stolen cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Davexirl wrote: »
    Anyone have an experience with Revolut's mobile phone insurance? What is claiming like?

I see it only covers damage, with no loss or stolen cover.

I found it pretty good and fast repairs way out in eastern europe.

Spocker wrote: »
    They are now trialling transfers by Debit Card, you can only do it once for now

Haven't seen that yet, but I may not be available to me either, as I have an early business account with them.

/M

• Advertisement

Open a free ebs account and just top up Revolut with it.

Advertisement