Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options
1212213214215216218»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm not sure all the articles are about the poor customer service though.

No, definitely not. Some are just baseless attacks on Revolut. The article linked aboved, in my opinion, isn't.

Revoluts customer service is probably what stops me switching to them as my main bank.

I understand why their customer service pretty much has to be bot based but if their target in the Irish market is to get people to use it as their main bank, then they need to address the issue here and have a special customer service team for Ireland. That is on the assumption customer service is one of the main barriers for people to adopt which I wouldn't be anywhere near certain about. I assume they have the data on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

See where you are coming from, can't see country specific customer service teams being set up.

I use them as.my main ba l and the few times I've had an issue the in app chat has sorted it, I must be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And double dipping still works with the points in the Revolut Shop showing up immediately after the transaction is authorized, just like with the good old cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Can anybody point me in the direction of an article or personal experience of whether the additional tiers are worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

Not interested in German banks to name one country

• Advertisement

Mediation was required.Who mentioned an investigation-not me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Cant find too much info on the RevPoints.

Says can convert my spare change to RevPoints.
    Do you lose you hard earned and just get the RevPoints. Or is it like Tesco ect. You get goods and points

My answer was addressing post 6507, hence I clarified that the FSPO that I mentioned was not investigating but rather online dispute resolution.

"Spare change" means you purchase Rev Points up to the next full € of your shop spend (or higher if you choose to do so).

If you spend 1.50€ in a shop, then you will be charged 2.00€ and get 25 Rev Points (assuming you are on the 50 points per €1 spend band).

Effectively you purchase 1 Rev Point for 2 cents!

Depending on your use case that can be cheaper than for example purchasing Avios at full rate or even Flying Blue Miles (when they are not on sale).

Before you turn on "Spare change" you really need to fully understand what you are going to do with the Rev Points (convert them to Airline Miles, use them in shops etc.) and than see if they are worth the investment.

investigation was the wrong word.mediation is what I wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

It depends on your use case; I mean 2 cent per Flying Blue Mile is a cheaper than standard purchase because those usually go for 3, but with frequent sales it might be cheaper from KLM/AF themselves.

But on a standard plan I don't think the "spare change" requirement is a good one and it has to be on to be able to earn 1 point per 10€ but if you are on a paid plan, and there is no "spare change" force to earn up to 1 Point per € on Ultra than Rev Points might be a good bonus in your paid plan.

1 Rev Point per 1€ on Ultra (which despite being 55€ a month can pay for itself with the lounges, the FT, the free currency exchange etc.) is the biggest amount of Frequent Flyer Miles per € you can ear in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

It really depends on your use case. I pay for Metal (€16) and for me it's definitely worth it. I get great use out of the included NordVPN subscription which in itself is around €14 a month if paid monthly. I then get 8% cashback on JustEat giftcards and use them in work which then let's me expense back the giftcard at face value. Not to mention the purchase protection and other insurances too, especially travel insurance.

Mind you, I haven't ever had to claim off the insurance so I don't know if it's a huge hassle, jumping through hoops etc or not.

Have they changed the travel insurance terms to only travel booked on your revolut card like in the UK which obviously can be problematic with shared bookings etc.

I don't think they've changed it in Éire yet, but I could be wrong. For me it doesn't matter because I use Revolut as my main account, I only top up with my BOI credit card and lodge cash in AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mind you, I haven't ever had to claim off the insurance so I don't know if it's a huge hassle, jumping through hoops etc or not.

Its as much of a hassle as if you take out the insurance directly with the provider. Lots of information required but once you're organised its easy enough.

What's the reasoning for topping up from your credit card? I do it from my current account.

When Rev Points came along together with the Aer Lingus Strike (as it has me using other Airlines that I don't have Status for) I decided to give Ultra a try.

The cost is down to 45€ a month for 3 months and there is the option to cancel within those 3 months (the T&C at my signup called out that there is no downgrade fee). Your offer might vary.

Positives for my use case scenario

10000 Rev Points for signing up once I spend 2000€ on the card.

1 Rev Point per 1€ spent on card payments which can give a lot Rev Points if you spend regularly.

1% cashback on non-EU/UK spend (and funny enough I find a lot of retailers I use are actually charging from the US so I got a few surprise cashbacks) otherwise 0.1%

Unlimited Lounge Access via Dragonpass (and down here in Cork buying access to the airport lounge would be a whopping €36.49 purchased online or €41.00 Walk-in for example)

Class Pass gives me 20 credits per month which I used in a gym recently where the hotel gym was bad

Unlimited Exchanges (weekend markup still apply) but it can save a good amount of money if you spend a lot £, $ etc.

Cancel for any reason insurance especially in light of the Aer Lingus Strike makes buying nonrefundable rates easier (to certain limits as you only get 70% back if there are no specific reasons like sick etc.)

Shops via the Revolut App have some decent Rev Repoints earning in addition to the 1:1 for shops I use regularly

Possible Negatives

I'm concerned about no customer service via phone and while Revolut offers callback for Ultra customers, this might not be good enough in case of fraud.

My usage this month so far (and I am only a Ultra member since 2 weeks)

So, for this month I spent 45€ on the fee!

I got 5.40€ cashback via card payments

I earned 12152 Rev Points (assuming I transfer to Aer Lingus that would be 294€ if I purchased them, but stripping out the bonus, I still got 2152 Avios which is about 59€.

Before they removed Cashback from the eShops (and replaced it with Rev Points) I also earned 21.42 € on cashback there

I used my Dragonpass once which was a €36.49 value.

I used my Classpoint (4 of 20) for a gym day pass which was 9.99€

So personally, I got value out of it and next week I will use Dragonpass again and even use a wework so I will gain value again.

It comes down to your personal spending and what you can actually use from the services offered.

Speed, topping up via credit card is instant and easy to manage as the money is nearly real time.

Topping up from the account via SEPA will take longer.

You could use easy bank transfer in which you allow Revolut to initiate the transfer for you and they credit it earlier but that has some restrictions.

And some people earn miles/cashback on their credit cards so they get another benefit out of it.

• Advertisement

What on all of this is is above the metal plan. The lounge pass obviously (24€ for cork on metal and dublin was removed) and then?

Thank you, I may look at doing it for three months and getting the 10,000 points.

I think Metal only gives 1 Rev Point per 2€ and has only 5000 Rev Points signup bonus.

Plus, I think some of the partner offers are less to like Class pass only giving 10 credits. And I think We Work is also not on Metal with 3 visits.

But for me the main benefit is the unlimited dragon pass at the moment.

Once Aer Lingus comes back to normal, I will relook at my plan and see if it is still giving me the value that I have now. Calculations change and maybe in future I need 2000€ ATM free rather than 800€.

Just make sure to read the small print to ensure that you a.) don't get hit with a downgrade fee of one month and b.) that the bonus points are not clawed back if you downgrade before 12 month.

Revolut is notourious for having different offers and T&C for different people and just because some people get it without fees, does not mean you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭pureza

@Yggr of Asgard I've used the call back feature as an ultra customer a few times and once you request a call back via the chat in the app,you get it almost straight away its very quick

The real person chat agent comes very quick too,I find prior to that

Don't forget purchase insurance is included aswell

@optiplexgx270 The Dublin T1 lounge is on the dragonpass unlimited that comes with Ultra

No issues at all there and that is super value as it is unlimited free access

Less crowded now too since BA pax no longer use it

It also gives free access to the plaza premium lounge at T 5 in Heathrow at gate A1 near where the DUB flights usually leave

Great little bar in there for free ice cold pints of poretti (like moretti)

The one in T 2 lhr also on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

After being charged extortionate fees from AIB, I'm going to move to Revolut.

Does anyone know if I can top up my mobile phone from my revolut account?

Exactly what Yggr said. My BOI card was originally KBC which had 1% cashback so I got into the habit of using that to top up my Revolut because it was instant and free. Then I'd transfer the payment over via Revolut since I don't mind how long that takes.

Not directly in app like AIB but I'd be fairly sure your operator has an online topup option. Sure not as convenient but wouldn't be a blocker. You can get a free revolut account and try it out before moving over fully.

Plus you get the 1% cashback back onto your credit card too. I do that now with 5k a month and pay card straight back just to get the cashback (only .5% now) as I get salary into revolut so it's purely to get the cashback for a matter of a few clicks 😁.

• Advertisement
Advertisement