Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

msmx5 wrote:
    Yes - I have for the best part of the last 4 years and no issues.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Having awful trouble with the App lately. Won't add funds, it reverts back and then it takes a couple days for the money to go back into my bank account. Won't let my partner add money to mine when I request it or split bill.

Anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Main problem I'm having recently is frustrating and seems to detract big time from the usefulness of Revolut.

For anyone who operates or has a balance in 2 currencies - eg Euro and Sterling - if a pre-auth 'hold' is placed on a sterling sum that will be taken at a later date, the entire amount must be lodged to one's sterling wallet or the payment fails. It will not convert the usual euros to sterling as normal, no matter how much you have in that wallet/

This has happened to me twice lately. I normally have only a few pounds in sterling and I've been shopping online for a shielding family member in an NI store (Asda). The pre auth seems to only need to verify something like £1, but when it comes to requesting the final total in sterling, it apparently cannot take it from the Euro amount and the payment fails.

In a panic at losing the grocery slot for this shielding family, both times I exchanged the required amount into the sterling wallet, only to experience a double payment attempt by Asda and 15 days to get it back! CS have been unable to help and tell me it SHOULD have been converted from my euro wallet, but they don't know why not!

The only solution I've found is to make sure there's no money in the sterling wallet at all. This means that the original pre-auth then has to come from the Euro wallet and all goes smoothly after that.

This probably won't affect too many people but it's something to be aware of for any pre-auth transactions in a second currency.

Tl;dr: Be careful with pre-auth if you have two currencies in Revolut. Your payment may fail and/or you may get charged twice and have to wait for your money to revert.

RoYoBo wrote: »

Tl;dr: Be careful with pre-auth if you have two currencies in Revolut. Your payment may fail and/or you may get charged twice and have to wait for your money to revert.

How lately have you noticed this? I normally don’t hold anything in other currencies as I always just let Revolut convert on the fly but I got money back from Quidco recently so I had some money in Sterling.

I just checked back and 3 weeks ago I purchased on amazon, the pre-auth was from my sterling account but it took the transaction a few mins later from my euro balance so it appears this issue didn’t happen which you describe unless it’s a more recent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

How lately have you noticed this? I normally don’t hold anything in other currencies as I always just let Revolut convert on the fly but I got money back from Quidco recently so I had some money in Sterling.

I just checked back and 3 weeks ago I purchased on amazon, the pre-auth was from my sterling account but it took the transaction a few mins later from my euro balance so it appears this issue didn’t happen which you describe unless it’s a more recent thing.

Just the last 2-3 weeks for me. Before that, it worked perfectly. I'm not really sure if it's a mixture of an Asda problem and Revolut, or what? When I got on to CS (ad nauseum) they just kept repeating that Asda only wanted sterling. Of course they do, which is why I was using my Revolut card for the exchange!

I was advised in the end to make sure the entire total was in my sterling wallet when Asda laid claim to the money for the online shop, which can be anything from 24-48 hours in advance with a prepay card, it seems. I did that for the most recent shopping and it went fine. The other option as I said before was to have nothing in the other currency at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 FTT2004

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats a valut got do with a mortgage application.

Savings????

msmx5 wrote: »
    How many cards do you currently have?

I was told that you can add a virtual card as long as you have "less than 5 active cards" on your account. I currently have 6 active cards so I would need to delete 2 in order to be able to create a new virtual card. {I'm not sure if this limit is the same for every user). 2 of my cards are virtual ones but I was trying to add a disposable one to the mix.

I only have my original card from years ago.
    Maybe that's the issue as I still have the Mastercard version.

Theres something up with it, it does the same for the reusable virtual card.

My physical runs out in July so maybe I'll get some sort of resolution to it then.

With the large allowance for contactless on the revolut card has anybody had any problems with retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

With the large allowance for contactless on the revolut card has anybody had any problems with retailers

What large allowance, contactless is €50 on all cards now? The only retailer I've noticed any issue with is Tesco as they publicly said they cannot update their POS terminals in the time of COVID19.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What large allowance, contactless is €50 on all cards now? The only retailer I've noticed any issue with is Tesco as they publicly said they cannot update their POS terminals in the time of COVID19.

I noticed during the week Tesco had a sign at the checkouts saying contactless limit now increased to €50, not sure if it's all stores or if they are doing them one by one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry I made a bags of the question am I right in thinking with Google pay linked to the card there's no limit. How does that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry I made a bags of the question am I right in thinking with Google pay linked to the card there's no limit. How does that work.

Yes, no, maybe.

Tesco, Pennies and a bunch of other places limit even Google Pay payments to 30 (or now 50) EUR.

Aldi and Lidl for example have no limit on Google Pay to begin with.
    The only retailer I've noticed any issue with is Tesco as they publicly said they cannot update their POS terminals in the time of COVID19.

That's odd. As my local Tesco displayed "Contactless Limit 50 EUR" on all card machines last week.

/M

AFAIK there's still a limit and it set by the bank, it's so high that you'll never hit it. Some retailers do limit Apple Pay/Google Pay transactions and there's no real definitive list only word of mouth/forum etc. which is awful.
    Marlow wrote: »
    That's odd. As my local Tesco displayed "Contactless Limit 50 EUR" on all card machines last week.

/M

ah they must have updated that, I was going based on the backlash towards them when the limit was increased...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/tesco-ireland-unable-to-increase-contactless-payment-limit-currently-1.4217041

ah they must have updated that, I was going based on the backlash towards them when the limit was increased...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/tesco-ireland-unable-to-increase-contactless-payment-limit-currently-1.4217041

Hah. And that backlash was self-inflicted, because Tesco hard-codes the contactless limit in their payment systems .. hence Google Pay also is limited to 30 (or 50) EUR in Tesco.

If they had not implemented a manual limit and let the bank regulate the limit, that would never have happened.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Is the talk to revolut gone for standard cards?
    Don't see it in the app

They charge for replacing lost or stolen cards?

Mortelaro wrote: »

By default, yes, they charge for replacement cards if you're on the free one. But generally, if you contact them about stolen cards, they may refund.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Is the talk to revolut gone for standard cards?
    Don't see it in the app

Its still there but hard to find. If you go to your account page. Top right you'll see a cog for settings beside that is a question mark in a circle. Click on that and scroll down the page - chat to us option is there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    The new app is absolutely woeful. I usually don’t mind redesigns and can get used to any system, but jaysus nothing in the new app is logically laid out.

Thought it was just a sign of me getting too old for new tech. It's awful. On another note, I'm thinking of buying a car abroad but fearful of using Revolut to convert a large sum of cash (about €10/12k). Has anybody experience of this. I'd be worried my card would be frozen as I depend on it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Zardoz wrote: »
    No,it just says "We're sorry, something has gone wrong. Please try later"
    Go into the settings and disable "trust this device", wait a few minutes and enable it again. You might need to enter a text confirmation.

This has fixed some of these errors for some users.

Lads been getting the above error message in bold the past month when trying to replace my virtual card. Or also if I try to get a virtual disposable card.

The trust this device option doesn’t seem to be in settings anymore.

Anyone have any ideas while I wait for support to get back to me tomorrow?

All I have is one physical card on my account at the moment as the virtual card expired recently, and I’m using a free account.

The error comes up on android and iOS so it seems to be an account issue. Using the latest app version also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jakdublin wrote: »
    Thought it was just a sign of me getting too old for new tech. It's awful. On another note, I'm thinking of buying a car abroad but fearful of using Revolut to convert a large sum of cash (about €10/12k). Has anybody experience of this. I'd be worried my card would be frozen as I depend on it a lot.

TransferWise would be better for large purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

On Tesco... they’ve recently increased the limit for contactless to 50 and the limit for phone payments to ‘over 100 anyway, don’t know the full limit’

The quote there is from a cashier when I paid using contactless last week. (Not revolut)

In my experience they were the only retailer to differ from the standard limits here so looks like they’re in line with the rest now. The 30 limit on mobile payments was ridiculous so good news

If you are with BOI using your debit card me be the cheapest of all options. It’s uses visas exchange rate which isn’t too different from Revolut’s but the fee is capped at 12.70 or there abouts.

Do the sums on it but counterintuitively as you get to very high figures the BOI debit can work out better than Revolut/trasnferwise due to the capped fee.

I say BOI as they are the only bank who don’t have a stupidly low daily limit on their debit card, I think 5 k is the max by any other bank and it’s lower for some on the other hand I’ve seen a friend pay 40k sterling for a car on his boi debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Mr.S wrote: »
    The new app is absolutely woeful. I usually don’t mind redesigns and can get used to any system, but jaysus nothing in the new app is logically laid out.

It certainly is.

Help me out here, is there any way to see your spending analysis for more than "last month"? I'm feel like I've clicked everywhere, but alas no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Lads been getting the above error message in bold the past month when trying to replace my virtual card. Or also if I try to get a virtual disposable card.

The trust this device option doesn’t seem to be in settings anymore.

Anyone have any ideas while I wait for support to get back to me tomorrow?

All I have is one physical card on my account at the moment as the virtual card expired recently, and I’m using a free account.

The error comes up on android and iOS so it seems to be an account issue. Using the latest app version also.

Turned out I had 00000 in for my eircode which was causing the issue. In fairness the support person pointed that out straight away no messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Good Afternoon,

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with revolut trade. I bought a few shares yesterday just to test the waters. Money was taken for two particular ones which are still not showing up on my investment part of the app. I've spoken to them over chat but they're saying they won't have an update until Monday. I'd advise anyone to be careful when buying shares through Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

medic087 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon,

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with revolut trade. I bought a few shares yesterday just to test the waters. Money was taken for two particular ones which are still not showing up on my investment part of the app. I've spoken to them over chat but they're saying they won't have an update until Monday. I'd advise anyone to be careful when buying shares through Revolut.

No issues myself. Might be best to see what the issue is before warning people?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

This is it wrote: »
    No issues myself. Might be best to see what the issue is before warning people?

They don't seem to know themselves. Hopefully they can resolve. I'll update here.

I paid £25k for a car on Revolut in February :pac:.

This is what I did;

Transferred € from main bank account to Revolut.
    Upgraded to Revolut Premium to get fee-free fx over £6000.
    Created a £ vault and converted € to £ in the vault.
    30 minutes before buying the car I withdrew the money from the vault into my £ account on Revolut.
    Paid for the car via a card + pin transaction.
    Two days later, down graded to Revolut Free.

Two weeks later I did get a notification asking for source of funds, but simple upload of documents and they were happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Dodge wrote:
    In my experience they were the only retailer to differ from the standard limits here so looks like they’re in line with the rest now. The 30 limit on mobile payments was ridiculous so good news

The Apple pay/Google pay/etc limit is 300 in Tesco now

• Advertisement

The Apple pay/Google pay/etc limit is 300 in Tesco now

Yeah was in Tesco Dundrum and our bill came to €109, tapped the phone with Apple Pay and the cashier said it wouldn’t work but it went through and she was very surprised so it seems they haven’t even told their staff about it.

Advertisement