Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Dodge wrote: »
    The 1000 limit on FX (and I’d like certainty on whether it’s €1000 or £1000) would have effected me twice in the last 2/3 years

I think I could have got around it too with planning (eg move 1000 from Euro to dollars a month earlier etc)

The weekend rate might catch me out on an impromptu trip to NI but other than that it doesn’t effect me at all

Realise it’s far less attractive for many but the free product will still be OK for me I think

Checked the mail I got, it has 1000 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Dodge wrote: »
    The 1000 limit on FX (and I’d like certainty on whether it’s €1000 or £1000)
    Checked the mail I got, it has 1000 pounds.

So likely €1200 Euro's if they keep in line with the 20% markup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Lets say you were going to the US and wanted to have 1000 dollars on your card and then you spend the 1000 in 10 different purchases what would the cost be?

As someone who uses Revolut as my main card for pretty much everything from day to day, some DD and all online shopping I think the biggest issue for me to keep an eye on is the extra weekend mark up as I rarely hold sterling but do at times end up making impromptu amazon purchases at weekends and also I have a few subs in foreign currencies that come out at random time’s some times at weekends.

I think the solution is to just hold a sterling balance now to cover smaller things and not make amazon purchases at weekends.

I would have exchanged well in excess of the 1000/1200 euro in a month but it was never impromptu and was leading up to a big purchase or mostly holidays so it would be easy to transfer money over to the wallet in each month or two before hand.

It’s still a little annoying though as I was a fan of not holding balances and just letting Revolut exchange on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Saudades wrote: »
    So likely €1200 Euro's if they keep in line with the 20% markup.
    The limit is €1000, according to https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/our-pricing-plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

JJJackal wrote: »
    Lets say you were going to the US and wanted to have 1000 dollars on your card and then you spend the 1000 in 10 different purchases what would the cost be?

Nothing. You won’t get charged for the purchases

You have the 1000 free FX per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Mr.S wrote: »
    The cost would be whatever you paid for $1,000.

Note, ATMs in America like to charge $$$ and tips are restaurants are often charged afterwards as a separate charge. Make sure you enable Swipe on the card also!

yeah i noticed that about the ATMs, 3 or 4 dollars in some places.

witht eh tips though i like to have cash for them as they can take them a few days after so its a bit of a pain sometimes

What are the new charges for and what type of user do they affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

carrotcake wrote: »
    The limit is €1000, according to https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/our-pricing-plans

They must have implemented that change immediately. When I checked a few days ago, the limit was €6000 (£5000).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Received a payment tonight, got sent a link by the sender but when I click on it, it opens in browser (not app like normal) and won't accept my mobile phone number to accept the payment?

Asks me to join Revolut....

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Received a payment tonight, got sent a link by the sender but when I click on it, it opens in browser (not app like normal) and won't accept my mobile phone number to accept the payment?

Any ideas?

Sender may have sent it to your email address and not your phone number or in some way that revolut haven't linked the payment to your "revolut" account. You should be able to choose to "Get money via bank transfer" after entering your phone number... see screenshot...you might even be able to able to enter your revolut iban to receive the money!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Any ideas?

Ask the sender to add your phone number to their contact list, and then send the transfer directly to you in the app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My reason that I came back to Revolut was the real time notification coupled with Apple pay which my main bank did not have. Coupled with knowing exactly what a spend will cost in € when making it.

Those benefits have now gone as my main bank also has real time info now, Apple pay and advanced features like card blocking. With the revolut fee my bank is now also cheaper as it does not charge a fee for exchange. And over the last couple of weeks the rate difference is less than 0.5% or weekends 1%.

So revolut beside the one time virtual card really has no more benefit for me.

So time to leave and use my bank again. And before I you aks it's not an Irish bank.

I've been buying fractional shares using the stock trading on it. The profits cover the premium cost multiple times. It's a nice handy way to get into stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Doge wrote: »
    Turned out I had 00000 in for my eircode which was causing the issue. In fairness the support person pointed that out straight away no messing around.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    Well holy God so that's the bloody reason I haven't been able to create any cards for over the last year !
    Checked my Postcode and I had IE in for it ,changed it to my Eircode and hey presto it works

Eureka Here too!!!!:D

I have now been able to add a disposable card - previously customer support told me the reason I couldn't (and they I got the something went wrong error) was because I already had 5 or more cards... well I just changed my eircode from "CO DUBLIN" to my real eircode and lo and behold I successfully added a virtual disposable card!
    (my 7th revolut card and counting ~ don't ask!! )

On the back of that I did the same for my wife who was then able to add a disposable card and more usefully for her she now has a local a/c number for the GBP account - previously only had the IBAN for GBP and customer service told her that local GB account numbers were only available to UK residents (which wasn't the case with me and anyone else I set up on Revolut).

Moral of the story - if you hare having any funny behaviour or errors for a prolonged period check you have your eircode in your address!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I paid £25k for a car on Revolut in February :pac:.

I thought there was a £5000 card spend limit (per 96 hours)? How did you get round this - or am I wrong?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Ogham wrote: »
    I thought there was a £5000 card spend limit (per 96 hours)? How did you get round this - or am I wrong?

Thanks

probably a bank transfer to the reciever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thanks

I did a GBP 6,500 transaction with my card on my standard account, that was early last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks

not sure, I was a premium member of Revolut at the time, maybe that has bigger limit.
    Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    probably a bank transfer to the reciever

Nope it was a chip&pin transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And more bad news.

Cash back for metal customer now capped at 13.99 € a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

And more bad news.

Cash back for metal customer now capped at 13.99 € a month.

More bad news indeed!

However, You would need to spend €13990 to reach the cap in Europe or €1399 outside Europe.

If you're spending that much money per month, you probably aren't too fussed about a €13.99 cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

I cant top up from Bank of Ireland CC or Debit card. CC is perenially refused although I have credit. My BOI Debit card cant be registered in the App - app spins forever and eventually times out.

Do BOI not like revolut or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

G-Man wrote: »
    I cant top up from Bank of Ireland CC or Debit card. CC is perenially refused although I have credit. My BOI Debit card cant be registered in the App - app spins forever and eventually times out.

Do BOI not like revolut or something.[/Q

No issues with BOI myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jimmy86 wrote: »
    No issues with BOI myself.

+1 I can do an instant topup from a BoI Mastercard.

Revolut is a godsend for BoI customers as BoI seems to the only major Irish bank which doesn't support Google Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Relative newbie to Revolut and based on these new changes to their fees , can somebody help me out please.

- If buying in GBP, have the funds on your revolut converted to GBP before purchase and don't buy from Amazon/Uk sites over the weekend ? Am I understanding that correctly ?

- Regular visitor to UK and use my revolut in pubs/small food purchases/transport tickets etc etc, tap and go. If I keep tapping I will get hit with a 50p levy from my second purchase onwards ?

Thanks a lot.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Relative newbie to Revolut and based on these new changes to their fees , can somebody help me out please.

- If buying in GBP, have the funds on your revolut converted to GBP before purchase and don't buy from Amazon/Uk sites over the weekend ? Am I understanding that correctly ?

- Regular visitor to UK and use my revolut in pubs/small food purchases/transport tickets etc etc, tap and go. If I keep tapping I will get hit with a 50p levy from my second purchase onwards ?

Thanks a lot.

My understanding is the 50p charge is only for transfers after your first transfer which will still be free, not normal transactions, they would continue to be free possibly up to £1000, I stand corrected here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

andrew1977 wrote: »

Thanks a lot.

If you're in the UK regular just carry a sterling account and convert from euro during the week. You can purchase from Amazon whenever you like then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I can do an instant topup from a BoI Mastercard.

Revolut is a godsend for BoI customers as BoI seems to the only major Irish bank which doesn't support Google Pay.

PTSB don't either, which is why all my transactions are through my Revolt card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am I right in thinking Amaxon purchases wont attract these fees regardless of when you purchase?

The charges apply if you want to buy some GBP to retain, not a goods purchase as such.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A curve card is a brilliant card for those that want to use their own bank cards from banks that don’t support google or Apple Pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Am I right in thinking Amaxon purchases wont attract these fees regardless of when you purchase?

The charges apply if you want to buy some GBP to retain, not a goods purchase as such.

You will have fees of you buy from Amazon in sterling at the weekend converting from euro

Advertisement