Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ha. I used my disposable Visa today. Just checked and it’s been replaced by a disposable MasterCard. Wouldn’t have copped only for your post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If your virtual Visa card starts with 4350 than there is a significant chance that it will be replaced by a new Mastercard starting with 5354.

If you have an older one with 4596 that is not yet automatically changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Is Revolut my best option here?

I will be living in Northern Ireland soon (UK) but still work in Dublin and employed there. I’ll need to transfer a fair bit of my salary each month into an NI bank account when I come up at the weekends.

I currently have Revolut, TransferWise, and CurrencyFair apps. Was thinking of paying the €8.99 a month for Revolut premium (not sure if metal is worth the extra fiver).

It seems that over a year the costs of any of the above 3 apps for sending a few thousand euros each month would cost more than Revolut premium annual subscription, which gives unlimited FX transfers / cross border.

Is there another way? Sending money to TransferWise’s UK bank account at the interbank rate then they transfer it to my UK bank? I can’t remember how to do this in the app.

Have read about Starling bank on this thread too, must read up about it.

All help appreciated in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I am having issues signing up. The verification part. I took snap of my face and my passport. Both times rejected. The problem is they don't say why! So how am I supposed to solve the issue when they won't tell me what the issue is. It looks to me that it's verified by AI. Maybe they are matching my face to the face pic on my passport and perhaps they don't match. I've put on weight since lol

edit: have contacted customer service since. No reply yet.

edit2: Passport of out date. Didn't realize!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Keep getting these, hoping the IE Iban is announced before 30/6, will save me having to get people to change to LT then IE in a few months.

Hi x

We noticed that you were sent a transfer of xxxxEUR on Monday, 8 February 2021 via your old Revolut account details:

IBAN : GB91REVOXXXXXXXXXXXxxx

BIC : REVOGB21

We wanted to remind you that after Wednesday, 30 June 2021, transfers to the above account details will fail to arrive. Please share your updated account details with anyone who transfers money to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

EU customers do not get an US local bank account for transfers and ACH also does not work.

Options are
    Wire transfer to the LT IBAN in $ which is expensive
    Use the Chase Debit Card directly
    Use the Chase Debit Card via Apple Pay

Or get a transfer wise borderless account, a local US transfer to it via ACH and than throw it over to Revolut which is both costly and time consuming.

Or using your SSN and Us address create US Revolut account, load that and transfer to your EU Revolut account
    Does anyone here have experience in setting up a US Revolut account?

I have SSN and US address and bank account. But can I set up a second account using the same mobile phone and app?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

leck wrote: »

I have SSN and US address and bank account. But can I set up a second account using the same mobile phone and app?

You need a us phone number capable of receiving text messages (for example a Google voice number).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Is Revolut my best option here?

I will be living in Northern Ireland soon (UK) but still work in Dublin and employed there. I’ll need to transfer a fair bit of my salary each month into an NI bank account when I come up at the weekends.

I currently have Revolut, TransferWise, and CurrencyFair apps. Was thinking of paying the €8.99 a month for Revolut premium (not sure if metal is worth the extra fiver).

It seems that over a year the costs of any of the above 3 apps for sending a few thousand euros each month would cost more than Revolut premium annual subscription, which gives unlimited FX transfers / cross border.

Is there another way? Sending money to TransferWise’s UK bank account at the interbank rate then they transfer it to my UK bank? I can’t remember how to do this in the app.

Have read about Starling bank on this thread too, must read up about it.

All help appreciated in advance

Bumping this (apologies) but from doing a bit of research and comparison studies TransferWise seems to be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Bumping this (apologies) but from doing a bit of research and comparison studies TransferWise seems to be best?
    Zen might fit the bill. There's a thread about it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115933850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I accidentally just wired some USD to the pre-Brexit Revolut bank details. Does anyone know what happens to the funds ? Will the wire just be rejected ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

The pre-Brexit GB IBAN is still active until this June or July, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It depends on rates but transferring a portion of your salary into revolut and then either fixing the transfer from euro to sterling or simply just using the Revolut card for purchases is useful.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Has anyone had problems transferring money to their bank account from Revolut? I sent a sum of money at about 5 am on Monday morning to my account but it still hasn't gone in yet. There's a banner up saying there's an external euro transfers problem in the app at the moment but when I look at the transaction on my Revolut it looks like the transaction is completed which it doesn't seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

Quick question as reading a lot of conflicting information online.

Can anyone confirm if unlimited virtual cards are available on the free tier or the 2.99

Is there any charge on these accounts or do you need to go premium to get this service.

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

moany fuc wrote: »
    Quick question as reading a lot of conflicting information online.

Can anyone confirm if unlimited virtual cards are available on the free tier or the 2.99

Is there any charge on these accounts or do you need to go premium to get this service.

Thanks
    Maximum of five virtual cards on the free tier. Apparently there's a charge of €6 for extra cards but I added a third virtual card to my account a few days ago and wasn't charged.

https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/help/making-payments/getting-a-card/can-i-have-multiple-spare-cards

Edit: Actually, virtual cards are free.

https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/legal/fees

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It would be nice to be able to exclude bank transfers on linked accounts from analytics.

They mess up the budgeting. I think the functionality will be coming soon though. I am currently getting an error message.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Has anybody had a currency exchange fee applied for being over a €1000 a month, but in fact being nowhere near the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

delly wrote: »
    Has anybody had a currency exchange fee applied for being over a €1000 a month, but in fact being nowhere near the limit?
    Have you bought cryptocurrency? That's the only way I got caught like this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Rewired wrote: »
    Have you bought cryptocurrency? That's the only way I got caught like this.

Yeah, that's it. I just had an exchange with support and they confirmed it. I thought silver was going to skyrocket with the Gamestop hype, but I lost a tenner. Now I'm suffering on the double with fees :D

Good support session though, quick enough and he gave all the right info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Revolut changing their fees again.

https://independent.ie/business/personal-finance/banking/fast-growing-revolut-to-increase-its-fees-in-blow-to-its-12-million-users-40094240.html
    It is raising the fees for withdrawing cash from ATMs and for international money transfers.

From April 9, people using the Standard Revolut account will see the limits on free monthly ATM withdrawals changing.

Currently there is a €200 limit on free monthly ATM withdrawals on the Standard plan.

After this, users are charged 2pc of the value of the withdrawal.

Revolut is adding a limit on the total number of ATM withdrawals and by setting a minimum fee once the free allowance runs out.

The €200 monthly limit will remain but there will be a limit of five ATM withdrawals as well. Once you hit this, you will also begin paying a fee.

Both of these limits apply independently. This means customers will start paying a fee as soon as they hit one limit even do not hit the other limit.

The fee remains 2pc but there will now be a minimum fee of €1. This means customers will pay the greater of €1, or 2pc, of the withdrawal.

International money transfers will continue to be free for countries within the Sepa (Single Euro Payments Area) area and the UK and Switzerland.

But Standard and Plus customers sending money outside the SEPA area will get one free cross-border transfer per month, then pay 50c per transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

DubDJ wrote: »

So revolut users use ATMs? Thought that would defeat the purpose of using them (unless some people are using it as a way of getting additional ATM withdrawals over the amount their bank allows for free).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It still strikes me as odd that people would use Revolut (specifically the free tier and it be your main account) and withdraw cash. The whole point of revolut was to move away from traditional banks, cash and save on fx fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭phildub

leck wrote: »

I have a us one but you can only have one per app so I have 2 phones and my Irish app on one and my us on the other, its a great way of transferring money in and out ofnmy American and bank accounts. I dont know if you need an American phone number to set it up, I had one at the time but don't have one now and my app still works fine. Not sure if they will ship the us one to here though?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ATM charges won’t affect me anyway, I’d say I’ve had two in about 5 years and both of them were actually just before Christmas. I had to put cash into Christmas cards :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

It still strikes me as odd that people would use Revolut (specifically the free tier and it be your main account) and withdraw cash. The whole point of revolut was to move away from traditional banks, cash and save on fx fees.

I travel a bit around Europe and I've come to many rural shops or services that don't except cards/card machine out of order ect. Rural busses are cash only in many countries. It's always good to have some hard currency. I get your point tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

DubDJ wrote: »

So begins the charges,they will start introducing more & more now to make money they have to keep their investors happy some how when they go looking for more money.

You need a us phone number capable of receiving text messages (for example a Google voice number).
    Ok, have one of those.

I'm still unclear on whether I can set it up on my Irish mobile using the same app as for my Euro account?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Aquos76 wrote: »
    ATM charges won’t affect me anyway, I’d say I’ve had two in about 5 years and both of them were actually just before Christmas. I had to put cash into Christmas cards :)

Funny paper! :)

• Advertisement

phildub wrote: »
    I have a us one but you can only have one per app so I have 2 phones and my Irish app on one and my us on the other, its a great way of transferring money in and out of my American and bank accounts. I don't know if you need an American phone number to set it up, I had one at the time but don't have one now and my app still works fine. Not sure if they will ship the us one to here though?
    I'm pretty sure I have an Google voice number that still works.

But I would need a second phone to install the US app?

Advertisement