Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

JTMan wrote: »
    Basic question.

I was expecting to get a payment from 5 people via Revolut.

4 paid fine and 1 has told me that the payment (to my mobile number) is stuck in "pending".

What is the typical main cause of a payment being stuck in pending?

(I realise why pending would happen with merchants and bank transfers but don't understand why it would happen with Revolut to Revolut).

Thanks.

This can happen if it is the first time that the person is sending you funds, you may have to "accept" the payment before it lands - I've been sent text messages for similar in the past, and when I open the message on the same phone as the app, it transfreered ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Spocker wrote: »
    This can happen if it is the first time that the person is sending you funds, you may have to "accept" the payment before it lands - I've been sent text messages for similar in the past, and when I open the message on the same phone as the app, it transfreered ok

Thanks. It is someone who has never paid me before. But I have not received any text messages nor notifications to "accept" the payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You can just use your PTSB visa to top up, it's instant

I have my Revolut account set up to pay in the PTSB website....works a treat...Next day normally from the app once set up

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Basic question.

4 paid fine and 1 has told me that the payment (to my mobile number) is stuck in "pending".

(I realise why pending would happen with merchants and bank transfers but don't understand why it would happen with Revolut to Revolut).

Thanks.

I've seen this where the person sending the money, instead of sending you the money, has inadvertently created a payment link, and then not shared it (my mum did this). We just cancelled the transaction on her phone, then resent it correctly and it went through instantly as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Basic question.

Thanks.
    It happened me once where I sent money to someone and it didn’t go through (after being listed as pending for a couple of days). I added that person to my phones contacts and tried again and it worked. Not sure if they’re connected but maybe worth a go (if that applies to your case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Where can i find the details to do a SWIFT transfer to my dollar account? I can only see regular IBAN and BIC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Scruff wrote: »
    Where can i find the details to do a SWIFT transfer to my dollar account? I can only see regular IBAN and BIC
    It's the same details. I get USD transfers into my euro iban account, once the sender sends as USD, the amount received stays in USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

Hi there

Can I ask and apologies if it has been covered before but can I pay a crest card from my Revolut balance?

Thanks

d1980 wrote: »
    Hi there

Can I ask and apologies if it has been covered before but can I pay a crest card from my Revolut balance?

Thanks

A credit card?

Yes, just create a beneficiary using the bank details normally on the back of a credit card statement. Will be a BIC, IBAN and your card number as the reference (so they know where to apply the funds too once they hit the banks suspense account).

Pay my BOI card this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I am user of Revolut since late 2017 and this week I passed through 3 non-euro countries in the space of 24hrs with connecting flights, Bank of Ireland and EBS both rejected and blocked, not even an ATM would work.

I literally got grey hairs trying to get the stupid 3DS to work with BoI, total security overkill by Bank of Ireland so they can rip you off in fees. When I queried the Bank of Ireland I only got a condescending nature for having been abroad travelling in the first place. EBS I didn't even bother contacting as I had 3DS setup with them prior to leaving Ireland earlier this year. The ATM was still blocked by them.

I just find Revolut such a charm, the best thing to ever happen from a travelling perspective, so easy to keep tabs on travel costs and watch out for any fraud. If I pay for a cup of coffee today with Bank of Ireland I will see the transaction around 1 week later, EBS a few days, both outdated and antiquated. With Revolut the notification will popup on my phone within seconds of tapping or keying in my PIN. It is one thing to save money in forex and fees, it is an entirely different thing to have something this reliable that actually works abroad unlike the rip-off Irish banks. I use my EBS card to drip feed funds into my Revolut. Until I started using Revolut I was routinely carrying out a few thousand in Euro or Dollars each time as Irish banks are so useless and likely to rip us off using security as their cover by blocking ATM's or putting nonsensical daily limits of €100 or whatever on the card to force you into multiple transactions to charge more money per transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

A credit card?

Yes, just create a beneficiary using the bank details normally on the back of a credit card statement. Will be a BIC, IBAN and your card number as the reference (so they know where to apply the funds too once they hit the banks suspense account).

Pay my BOI card this way.
    thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Anyone paid the monthly subscription to get more than a free revolut account?

I will need to transfer chunk of euros salary to sterling monthly soon and i see if you upgrade you get unlimited foreign exchange transfers. Currently the limit for a free account is upto €1000 per month, i will transferring more than this so it will incur a 0.5% fee minimum.

Looked at currencyfair and transferwise also but they're quite secretive about what they charge and what limits are with the standard account. Currencyfair app is the opposite of user friendly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

Has anyone ever used the purchase protection insurance with revolut? Are they easy enough to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used the purchase protection insurance with revolut? Are they easy enough to deal with?

one word eircom:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Ah be fair, at least you'll get some sort of an answer from Revolut within your lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

Not great so. More worried about them trying to wiggle out of it somehow.

Very confused tonight if someone can help me out

I am trying to transfer €30K euros savings from my AIB to my AIB northern ireland.

Via transferwise or revolut (revolut rate seems to be 0.876 vs Wise 0.868?) i gather that i have to make an international payment from my AIB online banking to either revolut's lithuanian IBAN or Transferwise's Belgium IBAN.

Now my question is, are AIB going to charge me? They give me options of "standard" or "urgent". When you click into "more info on fees" they don't say a thing about how much it is.

I am looking to act fast on this now as the sterling has fallen for 3 days in a row up until market close yesterday evening, there's no guarantee it won't bounce back monday when UK opens some sectors of economy.

Thanks in advance. Rang AIB today at 3 different times, customer service, card payments line, all still not answering because of "COVID" :pac: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks Sheepy, just realized that I can only send €10K per day limit with my AIB personal account. So it will have to be done over a few days. Is all banking this archaic or just Irish banks?

I’m guessing this is my best option and you have to bite the bullet whatever AIB charge .

I thought the whole point of Revolut / TransferWise was that it took away the charges from banks and saved you money as they are lower cost.

I know with small amounts it is as you can top up instantly from your AIB debit card to either app. But with bigger amounts neither of these 2 platforms are quite there yet unless I’m doing something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Now my question is, are AIB going to charge me? They give me options of "standard" or "urgent". When you click into "more info on fees" they don't say a thing about how much it is.

A transfer from one euro account to another euro account should be same no matter where the account is so unless they charge for each transaction then it won't cost anything extra.

Not familiar with AIB but assuming it's similar to other banks all you should need to do is set up the destination account as a payee online using it's IBAN (make sure it's the IBAN for the euro account). Then convert in Wise or Revolut to stg account and send from there on to AIB NI account.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sheepy, just realized that I can only send €10K per day limit with my AIB personal account. So it will have to be done over a few days. Is all banking this archaic or just Irish banks?

I’m guessing this is my best option and you have to bite the bullet whatever AIB charge .

I thought the whole point of Revolut / TransferWise was that it took away the charges from banks and saved you money as they are lower cost.

I know with small amounts it is as you can top up instantly from your AIB debit card to either app. But with bigger amounts neither of these 2 platforms are quite there yet unless I’m doing something wrong

Yes, Instead of instructing via AIB you should instruct via transfer wise or Revolit and wire the money to whichever you choose (in EUR). They'll then do the FX at a better rate than AIB.

Is there a limit in same day SEPA transfers (to transferwise or revolut?.

Its archaic in this day and age that AIB has no one off authentication method to get around a daily limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

well unless you are a drug dealer no one transfers that amount of money in a day from their personal a/c .Its all down to money laundering & fraud as well thats why there is limits as well

Difference between the urgent & normal is the processing time.

Going to hold the money in Revolut. Banks are a joke nowadays if you needed to urgently transfer more than €10K to say a solicitor for a house deposit etc, what would happen then? I’d say there’s some hoops to be jumped through at present , ringing up and asking for a larger limit exception. Or else “visit your branch”

well unless you are a drug dealer no one transfers that amount of money in a day from their personal a/c .Its all down to money laundering & fraud as well thats why there is limits as well

Lots of people need to for legal, property or car transactions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Hdjsjsjsj

What if you are buying a car and paying up front? Then you need more than a 10k limit

I’m guessing you need a business bank account ? Or use the likes of Revolut or TransferWise IF, if... you already have the funds sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

My wife signed up last night but when she tries to order a physical card it is saying she needs to upgrade to metal. I was under the impression that on the standard plan a physical card was free apart from the shipping fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Going to hold the money in Revolut. Banks are a joke nowadays if you needed to urgently transfer more than €10K to say a solicitor for a house deposit etc, what would happen then? I’d say there’s some hoops to be jumped through at present , ringing up and asking for a larger limit exception. Or else “visit your branch”

You go to the bank and do the transfer. It takes about 5 minutes.

You go to the bank and do the transfer. It takes about 5 minutes. You don't seriously think it would be a good idea to allow €10000÷ to be transferred instantly online?

With authentication yes - €10k really isn't a lot these days. Making people go into a branch to iD themselves to do a transfer is a archaic in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You go to the bank and do the transfer. It takes about 5 minutes. You don't seriously think it would be a good idea to allow €10000÷ to be transferred instantly online?

Absolute insanity to hold that sort of money in Revolut for anymore than a few hours.

I say this as a person who bought a £25k car on a Revolut card lol.

Advertisement