Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Been chasing down a missing €4.50 cashback reward from Revolut the last few days sadly.

Made the purchase from Lifestylesports in August so not overly impressed right now

The joys of revolut its okay till u have a,problem then thats when the fun starts for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The joys of revolut its okay till u have a,problem then thats when the fun starts for some people.

Probably the same for most service providers. Eir, Ryanair, Vodafone, HSE, Passport office. Everything is grand until there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They only accept a passport or passport card.

i currently dont have a passport , ridicolous that they wont accept a drivers licence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Has anyone got the new Revolut Glow card ? I got it but I have a question, where do you put your signature on the back of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mondeo wrote: »
    Has anyone got the new Revolut Glow card ? I got it but I have a question, where do you put your signature on the back of it ?

You don't need to sign chip and pin cards. I have a few with no signature panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Been chasing down a missing €4.50 cashback reward from Revolut the last few days sadly.

Made the purchase from Lifestylesports in August so not overly impressed right now

Having issues with the Rewards aswell.
    Tried to make use of this https://blog.bolt.eu/en-ie/weve-partnered-with-revolut-to-give-you-50-two-trips/ and I never got the 50% off (up to a max of 7 EUR)
    Got in contact with Revolut today and their live chat told me to get in contact with Bolt. Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

You can now set your own custom payments username in the app.. UK users have been able to for a few weeks I think. I'm using v8 beta

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

Having issues with the Rewards aswell.
    Tried to make use of this https://blog.bolt.eu/en-ie/weve-partnered-with-revolut-to-give-you-50-two-trips/ and I never got the 50% off (up to a max of 7 EUR)
    Got in contact with Revolut today and their live chat told me to get in contact with Bolt. Laughable

It must be a more common problem than I realised then.
    If anything they should contact Bolt on your behalf.

It should be on them to make sure what they offer as far as rewards go is quick and easy, and not expect the customer to go chasing it down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A KBC holder here with a Revolut card. Now that we're being shoehorned into BOI and their joke charges im looking around. Revolut for current account? Discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

A KBC holder here with a Revolut card. Now that we're being shoehorned into BOI and their joke charges im looking around. Revolut for current account? Discuss

Haven't done it myself but I know a few who get their salary paid directly to Revolut. So why not as a current account?

• Advertisement

Actually, just thought, can you set up DD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Try dealing with Bank of Ireland or AIB then you’ll know what a day shovelling is!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Less protection for your money against the company going belly up versus N26 which will protect up to €100k of your money in a German bank guarantee scheme.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well Revolut's losses have trebled according to their most recent accounts.... and most of the others are reporting losses as well. So one of two things are going to happen, either they introduce fees or they'll cease to exist.

So I think at this stage there are two ways to go:

- Look for an institution who's services meet your needs and accept that it will not be free

- Seek out the free services and accept the hassle of having to jump provider from time to time as well as the differences in service offerings.

And everyone is going to have to decide as their needs demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We have been with KBC for our current account for years (joint account). Also have a CU savings account and each have Revolut accounts.

Trying to figure out what to do going forward.

1) N26 for salary and all Direct Debits. Revolut for personal and day-to-day spending. CU for Savings and Cheque/Cash lodgement.

2) Just Revolut for all salary and expenditure. CU for savings and cheque/cash lodgement

3) Open a new joint current account with either an Irish bank or the local credit union. Accept there will be a small fee each month.

Don't like that N26 do not have joint accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Do NOT keep any funds in Revolut that you are not willing or can afford to lose access to (at least temporary).

Once (if ever) they move Irish customers onto their bank license but not with an electronic money license and frequent account reviews, temporary access restrictions to accounts.

Use it for daily spending (especially in foreign currency) but I would not rely on it for Salary and important Direct Debits (like credit card, utilities etc.).

But that is my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well Revolut's losses have trebled according to their most recent accounts.... and most of the others are reporting losses as well. So one of two things are going to happen, either they introduce fees or they'll cease to exist.

So I think at this stage there are two ways to go:

- Look for an institution who's services meet your needs and accept that it will not be free

- Seek out the free services and accept the hassle of having to jump provider from time to time as well as the differences in service offerings.

And everyone is going to have to decide as their needs demand.
    Long time revolut user, once i was asked how do they turn profit and seriously was a bit lost myself, as revolut offers free deposits and payments on card and using never went past 200-400e a month on groceries etc im not surprised, as think majority customers get by fine with free services, and seeing revolut offer non stop rewards, does create image they are a bit stuck.

that said like OP above, BOI customer and aside actual bank protection, its really hard to justify paying 6e each month, when theres no decent customer support in person anymore, and everything has been moved online or have to ring on their phones, which became norm long before pandemic, as BOI branches nowadays are stacked with atms, and some kid out of college to bring you to one.

I was thinking recently that propably best option would be to sign up with local credit union, thus irish account and almost same protection as banks and you deal with people directly once in a branch in most cases so big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm with KBC and I ain't moving until forced to, these are just talks atm that they have to disclose for shareholder purposes, the actual move will take years.

It's not super hard to move bank as most think it is (used to be terrible back in the 90's early 00's) and whilst it's not as easy as changing utility provider it's a lot closer to that than it once was.

I use Revolut exactly how Yggr uses it, anything in it is money I either a) afford to lose or b) transferred over seconds before a purchase (in a foreign currency) as Apple Pay transfers are instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

We have been with KBC for our current account for years (joint account). Also have a CU savings account and each have Revolut accounts.

Trying to figure out what to do going forward.

1) N26 for salary and all Direct Debits. Revolut for personal and day-to-day spending. CU for Savings and Cheque/Cash lodgement.

2) Just Revolut for all salary and expenditure. CU for savings and cheque/cash lodgement

3) Open a new joint current account with either an Irish bank or the local credit union. Accept there will be a small fee each month.

Don't like that N26 do not have joint accounts.

I'm in the same boat I have savings in KBC and Current a/c with Ulster Bank.
    I'm thinking of shifting my current a/c into the Credit Union but I think their services are limited, not sure about buying in shops etc. I opened an N26 a/c at the very start but have never used it, I didn't know you couldn't have a joint a/c and that would put the kybosh on it being my main a/c. and I find N26 to be a bit user unfriendly. Never keep more than 100-200 in Revolut which I mainly use for Amazon. Bit confused about what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat I have savings in KBC and Current a/c with Ulster Bank.
    I'm thinking of shifting my current a/c into the Credit Union but I think their services are limited, not sure about buying in shops etc. I opened an N26 a/c at the very start but have never used it, I didn't know you couldn't have a joint a/c and that would put the kybosh on it being my main a/c. and I find N26 to be a bit user unfriendly. Never keep more than 100-200 in Revolut which I mainly use for Amazon. Bit confused about what to do now.

Looks like N26 have a kind of shared vault which could be shared with a partner. But it requires a premium account x 2 which would bring charges to €120 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm thinking of shifting my current a/c into the Credit Union but I think their services are limited, not sure about buying in shops etc.

The Credit Union Current Accounts are the same as the others, with a regular MasterCard debit card. Fees are listed here, with the main one being €4/month account maintenance, most others are free https://currentaccount.ie/files/W144AE_fees_charges.pdf

Looks like N26 have a kind of shared vault which could be shared with a partner. But it requires a premium account x 2 which would bring charges to €120 per year.

Yes, I've seen the vaults, is it spaces they call them? I find the N26 website hard to negotiate, I wouldn't be that techy minded but there just doesn't seem a simple way to do simple things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mav11 wrote: »
    Haven't done it myself but I know a few who get their salary paid directly to Revolut. So why not as a current account?

I wouldn't put my salary in after seeing several stories of Revolut users having their accounts locked and the difficulty of getting that sorted.

Also, my son was starting a part-time job last Christmas and the employer refused to accept his Revolut IBAN for payments.

I'm with KBC and so will have to move but I'll probably make more use of Revolut than I do now for day-to-day purchases.

I wouldn't put my salary in after seeing several stories of Revolut users having their accounts locked and the difficulty of getting that sorted.

Also, my son was starting a part-time job last Christmas and the employer refused to accept his Revolut IBAN for payments.

I'm with KBC and so will have to move but I'll probably make more use of Revolut than I do now for day-to-day purchases.

I have Revolut around 7 years at this point. Never had a problem or issue, but I wouldn't put my salary into it either, largely due to the weaker guarantee scheme.

Use it now instead of cash, or for online transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Try dealing with Bank of Ireland or AIB then you’ll know what a day shovelling is!

least you have real people there & a proper customer service number U can actually talk to people unlike revolut.

Spocker wrote: »
    The Credit Union Current Accounts are the same as the others, with a regular MasterCard debit card. Fees are listed here, with the main one being €4/month account maintenance, most others are free https://currentaccount.ie/files/W144AE_fees_charges.pdf

Called into my local Credit Union today to open a Current Account and was amazed by the revelation that you can only have a max of €30k over all your credit union accounts. I still opened the a/c but whether I will use it is debatable.
    I wouldn't be a wealthy man but I have saved in the CU for many years and have a healthy balance for when I might need to apply for a loan and this, combined with what I have in other accounts would put me very close to the limit.
    What is the reason for this, is it part of the Govt trying to stop people moving away from mainstream banks.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

What is the reason for this, is it part of the Govt trying to stop people moving away from mainstream banks.

Holding money on your behalf costs money, both for Credit Unions and banks, and savings caps like that are CUs way of reducing that cost (think of all the people who will have to withdraw money from a BOI branch thats closing in their town, KBC or Ulster Bank). Ultimately none of the institutions (fintech or otherwise) want large sums of money - they are all charging to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Called into my local Credit Union today to open a Current Account and was amazed by the revelation that you can only have a max of €30k over all your credit union accounts. I still opened the a/c but whether I will use it is debatable.
    I wouldn't be a wealthy man but I have saved in the CU for many years and have a healthy balance for when I might need to apply for a loan and this, combined with what I have in other accounts would put me very close to the limit.
    Nothing to do with the government. It's individual to the credit union, not all of them do it, and of the ones that do, they don't all use the same figure.

The reason is that holding onto large deposits costs financial institutions money. Despite the common perception that they can just loan out your money to someone else and make profit on the interest, the reality is far from that simple, and in an era of historically low interest rates, large cash deposits are not attractive

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This video from the public service credit union explained why they put a limit on savings pretty well IMO

http://youtu.be/8lggns6CRy8

• Advertisement

Yeah, makes sense, at least to the banks, but €30k seems an inordinately low figure in this day and age.

Advertisement