Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Niall20

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I do not know I am not much in these offers they tend to be mostly for things I do not need or use.

I am on premium plan with revolut and so far referrals work better for me. I get 43 for new client which I usually split with them by sending them 20 as soon as I get it from revolut. So friends get free account and 20 from me on top of that.

Do you mean you get a bigger referral bonus on a premium plan with Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Niall20 wrote: »
    Do you mean you get a bigger referral bonus on a premium plan with Revolut?

seems like it. When I was on free account I was getting 15 or 20 I do not remember correctly but now I get 43. That I split with whoever join on my ref link by sending them 20 when I get it. They just need to verify identity add 20 euro to their account order card and make 3 card transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Old McGroin

Getting a message saying "2 exceptions occured" when trying to log in since yesterday, anybody else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you have the time to do it you'll benefit from switching every year.

If you have 5 minutes a year to bang a few details into the likes of bonkers.ie, you can keep the costs down. You don't even ever need to call up the providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Bit of a strange one.......

Got money send to me twice in the past week by people who are not in my contacts. I thought they had to be in your contacts in order to send and receive?

One even added a note with my name on it thanking me. I don't know these people, don't recognise their names and I am not owed any money.

What's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

apache wrote: »

Got money send to me twice in the past week by people who are not in my contacts. I thought they had to be in your contacts in order to send and receive?

One even added a note with my name on it thanking me. I don't know these people, don't recognise their names and I am not owed any money.

What's going on?

would it be crossed wires i wonder. instead of 083 123456 they send it to 083 124356 ? Ya i thought that too in your contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

would it be crossed wires i wonder. instead of 083 123456 they send it to 083 124356 ? Ya i thought that too in your contacts
    I thought that but one of them added a note and thanked me by name. Very strange. Was paranoid it was a phishing scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Lol - requested a physical metal card from Revolut as I wanted a mastercard (I have Visa, but things like the Rugby World Cup only letting people with Mastercard buy tickets are way too much hassle).

Cards are delivered by Fastway. Or, more accurately, not delivered, they just said they'd delivered it.

Revolut sending a new card. Again, by Fastway.

And just noticed in the app, the card (advertised in the app as Mastercard when you pick it) is actually a Visa, anyway. /sigh

#FirstWorldProblems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

apache wrote: »

What's going on?

In the Revolut app you can click on "New" and add a new recipient by phone number or email.
    They don't need to be in one or the other's phone contact list.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I have a payment showing in upcoming payments on my Revolut. It’s for Spotify. If I have cancelled my Premium account with Spotify, Revolut won’t pay it anyway will they? I know Spotify won’t request it but I don’t want it going out like a direct debit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

According to this article Revolut prepares to launch the option to move your crypto to another wallet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    I have a payment showing in upcoming payments on my Revolut. It’s for Spotify. If I have cancelled my Premium account with Spotify, Revolut won’t pay it anyway will they? I know Spotify won’t request it but I don’t want it going out like a direct debit.

Unless you tell them, how would they know anything about the fact that you have canceled the contract? You should assume that they will act in accordance with your instructions, so if Spotify tries to execute the debit it will be processed in the absence of any other instructions from you.

Always cancel these kind of instructions once they are no longer necessary, financial institutions have no reason to stop complying with your instructions until you tell them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    According to this article Revolut prepares to launch the option to move your crypto to another wallet.

All of their recent changes really looks like they are getting ready to compete against another fintech due to launch.
    No idea if that is it, but there is one that launched in Germany, and is now in France, Spain, Italy and some other European countries. They were (possibly still are) offering €50 for every friend signed up, they have loads of partners, a pretty good cashback program/initiative, and offer trading in stocks and have crypto etc..
    Not available here yet, but I can't help wondering if that is the reason for the revolut options rolling out in the past month or two. Although they may have been there longer, I never noticed them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I was always under the impression the €1000 foreign currency conversion limit included card transaction purchases and I've been in the habit of converting euros before purchasing in a foreign currency. However, I'm making a €2500 purchase in a foreign currency (Bulgarian Lev) soon and when I checked the card transactions limits section it says 'unlimited no-fees' card transactions. But in the exchange limit section it says you can 'spend, transfer and exchange money' up to €1000 with a 0.5% fee thereafter. so my question is, will some of my 2.5k purchase with the card be subject to 0.5% transaction fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has anyone used raisin.ie for deposits? Is it possible to top up revolut direct from a savings/deposit account?

Have a family member living abroad who is looking to close their BOI current account as they do not use it, and are now getting hit with €6 monthly fees.
    Looking to transfer their savings somewhere that they can easily top up revolut from, without the hassle of having a current account.

retalivity wrote: »
    Has anyone used raisin.ie for deposits? Is it possible to top up revolut direct from a savings/deposit account?

Have a family member living abroad who is looking to close their BOI current account as they do not use it, and are now getting hit with €6 monthly fees.
    Looking to transfer their savings somewhere that they can easily top up revolut from, without the hassle of having a current account.

Raisin is primarily a facilitator targeting Irish residents. The way it does business may not be at all suitable for a person resident in another country. They need to check it out carefully from that perspective before taking a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JoyOfGood

I tried to make a payment on PayPal with my Revolut card, and it's getting declined by Revolut because the merchant (PayPal) does not have 3D Secure, based on new legislation.

Is this just with Revolut? Or has anyone had similar issues with N26?

JoyOfGood wrote: »
    I tried to make a payment on PayPal with my Revolut card, and it's getting declined by Revolut because the merchant (PayPal) does not have 3D Secure, based on new legislation.

Revolut introduced 3DS sometime ago...

I expect the rejection is because you have not activated it on Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Got an email from Revolut today to provide missing tax information, is this common have others gotten this email request?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

robwen wrote: »
    Got an email from Revolut today to provide missing tax information, is this common have others gotten this email request?

Same here. Probably just gonna ignore it for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

JoyOfGood wrote: »

If you try to pay more than 30€ than PayPal should request the 3D validation during the transaction. There are some exceptions like subscriptions or secure companies that previously have been approved. So PayPal has classed you as low risk and says, just give me your details, I won't attempt 3D because you know I feel comfortable with this due to the exceptions.

Revolut however interprets the rules quite strict and does not do exceptions where other would (like with PayPal being a secure company you have used before), so if PayPal does not request the 3D validation, then Revolut declines the authorization.

They have quite a hard stance on it https://blog.revolut.com/internet-payments-are-becoming-more-secure/

So, your issue here is PayPal not requesting the code when they should and Revolut (possibly because you know they are in the same business) standing a hard line that they demand it (which they are entitled to).

Ultimately it's PayPal here who does not request the 3D verification as they should, so your only option is to top up your PayPal account, use a card with a more relaxed approach or try again and hope that PayPal kicks in the 3D validation.

Missing tax information? What kind of information? And why? I don't recall any of the Irish banks or the Post Office or credit union ever asking for tax information. Sounds scammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Missing tax information? What kind of information? And why? I don't recall any of the Irish banks or the Post Office or credit union ever asking for tax information. Sounds scammy.

Revolut UAB is required to report to Revenue certain information about your account. To facilitate this automated process they require your Tax ID which in this case is your PPS.

And both the post office and your credit union will have asked for your PPS and proof of it when you opened the account.

Failure to do so can result in your account be closed and Revenue be informed manually.

Revolut UAB is required to report to Revenue certain information about your account. To facilitate this automated process they require your Tax ID which in this case is your PPS.

And both the post office and your credit union will have asked for your PPS and proof of it when you opened the account.

Failure to do so can result in your account be closed and Revenue be informed manually.

It's not today nor yesterday I opened them, and you certainly didn't need a PPS, back then anyway. KBC looked for a PPS when I opened an account there, the year before last. Can't remember if Revolut did or didn't, to be honest, but if they didn't, that's a pretty big omission!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I did. In the app it asks for your country and PPS No.

Took me ten seconds and I got on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

That's the core of the email, I've been into the app now & it's legit not a scam, as others have said asks for your country & PPS number

"Revolut as a financial institution is required to report information directly to governmental tax authorities about the accounts held by our customers.

We know this can be frustrating, but we're required by law to verify this information. All you need to do is open your Revolut app, go to the home page and tap on the tile asking you to submit your missing tax info.

Why do I need to submit this info?

As mentioned above, according to CRS (Common Reporting Standard), Revolut is required to report information directly to tax authorities concerning financial accounts held by customers who are tax residents in another country.

We are also required to report information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers or by foreign entities (in which U.S. taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest according to FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) to the United States Department of Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”).

If you're getting this email, it means we're missing either your tax number or information about your tax residency. You're typically considered a tax resident in countries where you pay taxes or you're physically present for at least 6 months of the year.

This verification process shouldn't take more than a few minutes. We really appreciate your cooperation."

Thanks,
    Team Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I did. In the app it asks for your country and PPS No.

Took me ten seconds and I got on with my life.

Always freaks me out a little how tetchy people get about financial institutions fulfilling their legal obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

For Irish banks and the post office, you live in the same country as those institutions. Revolut is based in Lithuania, so that difference in location means you are likely to fall under the CRS reporting requirements.

Irish banks are required to get your PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Verwolff

I gave Revolut my PPS yesterday in their app. Soon after I started getting phone calls from Department of Social protection, who were claiming that my PPS had been compromised and used by "criminals". There is investigation conducted and my PPS had been suspended due to suspicion of money laundering! Geez! Such a mess. I'm still not sure was the caller who I have spoken to real or maybe he was criminal? Although he gave his details and the case number but honestly that phone call seems to me suspicious more than giving my PPS to Revolut in the app installed in my phone.

Did you have any issues like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Verwolff wrote: »
    I gave Revolut my PPS yesterday in their app. Soon after I started getting phone calls from Department of Social protection, who were claiming that my PPS had been compromised and used by "criminals". There is investigation conducted and my PPS had been suspended due to suspicion of money laundering! Geez! Such a mess. I'm still not sure was the caller who I have spoken to real or maybe he was criminal? Although he gave his details and the case number but honestly that phone call seems to me suspicious more than giving my PPS to Revolut in the app installed in my phone.

Did you have any issues like this?

I think I read an article somewhere over the weekend warning about similar hoax calls being carried out, will see can I find it.
    It could hopefully be just a coincidence that you happened to have given your PPS to Revolut the same day.

Edit: here is an article on the scam I was thinking of https://www.thejournal.ie/scam-warning-social-protection-phone-5403248-Apr2021/

Advertisement