Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding work as non EU national

Options
  • 08-12-2019 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I am a media student who has just recently graduated from TUD. I am from Malaysia. I am on Stamp 1G, seeking full time employment for a professional career.

I have heard that it would be more difficult for non EU nationals to seek employment compared to locals and EU nationals.

I guess that's because we need our employer to sign on our working visa. And employers might prefer locals followed by EU nationals in employment priority order.

I hope I don't sound racist. It's just the general consensus among the non EU community that jobs would be harder to find for us.

Does anyone have any useful feedback regarding this?

Thanks. Any feedback much welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would imagine you will have some trouble.

Media isn't exactly an in demand skill, and a lot of jobs come from networking.

You also have no experience and aren't from the EU.

If I were you I'd start trying to meet as many people as possible who work in the industry, and try to get a job that way.

You should consider an internship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jimj292

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I would imagine you will have some trouble.

Media isn't exactly an in demand skill, and a lot of jobs come from networking.

You also have no experience and aren't from the EU.

If I were you I'd start trying to meet as many people as possible who work in the industry, and try to get a job that way.

You should consider an internship too.

Yeah true. Media is a people/networking job. I did an internship before though.

But I'll just keep trying.

Mr.S wrote: »
    To be blunt, you'll for sure find it harder to find full time, permanent employment vs EU / EEA nationals due to your visa status - not to say impossible though.

- On your CV / Cover Letter be clear on your visa status and right to work full time, spell it out so it's crystal clear, most employers won't have a clue what a Stamp 1G is.

- Look at fixed-term contract work, you'll most likely find it easier to find something if the contract is under 1 year.

- Experience is key, media is a tricky field to get a job in as a grad - try and get an internship or two with an agency before applying for full-time roles, unless you have experience / very good portfolio.

EDIT: Basically a repost of OMM 0000's post ;)

Yeah. I should specify my visa clearer on my CV.

I think it's also the nature of the work area. My asian friend who studies IT got a job after his second interview... I went to 3 and haven't heard back at all.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jimj292 wrote: »
    .... I think it's also the nature of the work area. ...

Definitely. It's probably an area you'll have to work in for free or very low wages for many years before getting a decent wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think you are misunderstanding the nature of your visa: not only does the employer have to do paperwork, they also have to show that there is no one available in either Ireland or the EU with the skills and available to do the job.

The latter is pretty unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

jimj292, are you from a wealthy family?

Is going back to college to do a masters or phd an option?

beauf wrote: »
    Definitely. It's probably an area you'll have to work in for free or very low wages for many years before getting a decent wage.

Yeah maybe. I heard stories where a lot of people will change area some time in life. Heck, some of my friends already decided to ditch media already.

they also have to show that there is no one available in either Ireland or the EU with the skills and available to do the job.

Wow, I didn't know this. Could you care to explain more? Pls

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    jimj292, are you from a wealthy family?

Is going back to college to do a masters or phd an option?

Not in Ireland,without a scholarship.defo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Wow, I didn't know this. Could you care to explain more? Pls

It would seem that you are suffering from the same misunderstanding that many graduates from third countries have about this scheme. This is a common program offered by many of the EU member states - if you obtain a degree from a recognised institution within a particular sate, you are granted a visa of some type that allows you to remain in that state to seek employment. But it does not mean that you are entitled to work there, nor that you will be granted a permit to work if you find a position. This sentence from the government website is makes it clear.
    This should be for the purpose of seeking graduate level employment and applying for a general employment permit, a critical skills employment permit or research hosting agreement.

In the end employers still have to show that there is no EU/EEA/CH citizen available to take the position and this must be backed up by Eurostat figures, not just - we advertised and could not find someone.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It would seem that you are suffering from the same misunderstanding that many graduates from third countries have about this scheme. This is a common program offered by many of the EU member states - if you obtain a degree from a recognised institution within a particular sate, you are granted a visa of some type that allows you to remain in that state to seek employment. But it does not mean that you are entitled to work there, nor that you will be granted a permit to work if you find a position. This sentence from the government website is makes it clear.

In the end employers still have to show that there is no EU/EEA/CH citizen available to take the position and this must be backed up by Eurostat figures, not just - we advertised and could not find someone.

Yes, I do understand that my current Stamp 1G Visa allows me only to stay here legally to seek employment. If I do want to stay longer than my visa period, I would need my employer to sign a working permit for me.

But I really didn't know that the employer needs to make sure that no other EU/EEA/CH citizen is available to take the position, before they can think of hiring me. Does that go for every career sector? Where do I find this information?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where do I find this information?

Thanks.

You have a degree, and you're asking us how to google "irish immigraiton work visa rules"???

You have a degree, and you're asking us how to google "irish immigraiton work visa rules"???

No I just don't know about the part where the employer needs to make sure that no one else (eu, local) can do the position, before they can hire us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But I really didn't know that the employer needs to make sure that no other EU/EEA/CH citizen is available to take the position, before they can think of hiring me. Does that go for every career sector? Where do I find this information?

It's on the government website, that is where I quoted the sentence from. It is a common mistake. I'm based in Switzerland and have had to explain this to several potential applicants for jobs at my firm here. The only advantage the visa really offers is that you can make the applications from in country and are available for interview.

It is probably also worth mentioning another common mistake, the recognition of EU degrees within the EU - basically it only works if you are actually an EU citizen. There is no obligation on an EU/EEA/CH state to recognise qualifications obtained in another EU/EEA/CH state by a non citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Ireland is running at full employment at the moment, this basically means that anybody seriously wanting to work can secure employment quite easily.

Maybe you should broaden your horizons, and explore different area's of employment?

If your target area is saturated with multiple applicants for a few positions, then obviously the added paperwork you bring to a potential employer is a disadvantage over, say a native ready to roll the following morning.

In my line of work, it appears that anybody in the IT sector can walk into any job they want and name their wages... IT people are seriously in demand here in Ireland, you could be from the Moon with sketchy paperwork, and they'd bust a blood vessel to get you signed up..

Good Luck anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think it's also the nature of the work area. My asian friend who studies IT got a job after his second interview... I went to 3 and haven't heard back at all.

Thank you.

There's a massive lack of people qualified in IT and Ireland is having a huge amount of tech companies moving here. Media is not an in demand career and we don't have loads of companies setting up and I'd say who you know is more important in media than qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I think you are misunderstanding the nature of your visa: not only does the employer have to do paperwork, they also have to show that there is no one available in either Ireland or the EU with the skills and available to do the job.

The above isn't true.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a massive lack of people qualified in IT and Ireland is having a huge amount of tech companies moving here. Media is not an in demand career and we don't have loads of companies setting up and I'd say who you know is more important in media than qualifications.

Yeah exactly...

The above isn't true.

Hi there. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Yeah exactly...

When you say media ,what kind of media are you talking about ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement