Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree treatment or nothing special

• 08-12-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

How a yas? I’ve bought a few pedigree Suffolk ewes and there due to lamb the beginning of January. They’ve been treated the same as the rest of me ewes and I’m wondering should I keep this up or maybe go a bit easier on them? Give them more feed pre lambing and more space in the shed or anything else I could be over looking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

390kid wrote: »
    How a yas? I’ve bought a few pedigree Suffolk ewes and there due to lamb the beginning of January. They’ve been treated the same as the rest of me ewes and I’m wondering should I keep this up or maybe go a bit easier on them? Give them more feed pre lambing and more space in the shed or anything else I could be over looking

Never had pedigree, but would have had a very Suffolky flock previously...

I’d be cautious about more feed - you could end up with lambs that you can’t get out... if you do want to feed em a bit more, seperate then and give them some extra oats maybe - the oats won’t go into the lamb...

Do you have them scanned and are feeding them based on the scan results?

More space is always good, but they should manage away with your commercial ewes too if the space is there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Never had pedigree, but would have had a very Suffolky flock previously...

I’d be cautious about more feed - you could end up with lambs that you can’t get out... if you do want to feed em a bit more, seperate then and give them some extra oats maybe - the oats won’t go into the lamb...

Do you have them scanned and are feeding them based on the scan results?

More space is always good, but they should manage away with your commercial ewes too if the space is there...

Ye I’m feeding to the scan. There all carrying twins so there getting around 500 g a day for lambing mid January?
    I’ve never housed the commercial ones here unless the weather got very bad but I’ll give these a bit more liberty

Advertisement