Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages going in on Christmas day?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Hi, as Christmas day is falling on a Wednesday this year that is the usual day we get paid in our company.

would anyone know would the wages go in earlier or later or is that up to the discretion of the company? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Would you not just ask the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Would you not just ask the company?

Yes I will also but sometimes the information I get from that department is not always accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It absolutely depends on the payroll people.

If your payroll staff are well adjusted, able to think, and not cynical, they will pay you early.

Otherwise you'll be paid after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

In any company I’ve worked for pay day gets moved to the week before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Thats good to know, thanks a million for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

jk23 wrote: »
    Yes I will also but sometimes the information I get from that department is not always accurate.

They are literally the only people who can tell you when you'll get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Last year my wages were due on Stephen's Day (Wednesday) but didn't get them until Thursday. Depends on the company, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

hasdanta wrote: »
    Last year my wages were due on Stephen's Day (Wednesday) but didn't get them until Thursday. Depends on the company, I suppose

That 1000% unsatisfactory. If for some reason, a holiday and payroll and or the bank can’t facilitate the payment on time due to a public holiday they need to provide the payment on Christmas Eve...it’s the most important time for people where money will be certainly needed on time... bills, presents and other expenses too will be high so to just say... “look we’ll sort you after the date” that’s unsatisfactory. If you say... “hey I’m just going to show up for work late” you’d hear all about it. If they are paying you late so should they.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

mine are usually paid on a thursday. this year it'll be friday.
    i think its to do with the bank/credit union here but we'll have plenty of turkey so no need for shops:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Strumms wrote: »
    That 1000% unsatisfactory. If for some reason, a holiday and payroll and or the bank can’t facilitate the payment on time due to a public holiday they need to provide the payment on Christmas Eve...it’s the most important time for people where money will be certainly needed on time... bills, presents and other expenses too will be high so to just say... “look we’ll sort you after the date” that’s unsatisfactory. If you say... “hey I’m just going to show up for work late” you’d hear all about it. If they are paying you late so should they.
    Mistakes happen though, I remember one year I completely forgot that Good Friday was a non processing day in the bank, didn't realise until after the cut off time on the Wednesday and no one got paid until the following Tuesday :eek: I was absolutely mortified and so annoyed at myself.

I think it depends on the company, I would expect that if you are due to be paid on Christmas day, then you will get it on Christmas Eve, but in my company, we pay a double week next week and then treat Christmas week as a holiday week so no payroll is processed.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Mistakes happen though, I remember one year I completely forgot that Good Friday was a non processing day in the bank, didn't realise until after the cut off time on the Wednesday and no one got paid until the following Tuesday :eek: I was absolutely mortified and so annoyed at myself.

I think it depends on the company, I would expect that if you are due to be paid on Christmas day, then you will get it on Christmas Eve, but in my company, we pay a double week next week and then treat Christmas week as a holiday week so no payroll is processed.

They do, mistakes happen, if an employee makes a mistake there are consequences...PIP, verbal warning, LOC etc, written warning etc... if a ‘mistake’ happens whereby employees with bills, commitments, family etc doesn’t get their wages due to an oversight, what is the sanction on the company ? I’d be for fining them say value of 30% of each wage that is not paid into a government fund... that should focus their minds, if something happens beyond their absolute control such as a fire or similar, ok, not controllable so far as the pay wouldn’t be too late...there would to need to be a contingency plan whereby also say a manager can process payments offsite too.

It can NEVER be acceptable to pay staff late...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Every company I've ever worked for pays a week early. Ask your payroll people or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

My contract says it will be in the account by the 20th so if that’s a weekend/bank holiday etc it’s paid early

Still easiest thing is to ask the payroll department

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

Every company I've ever worked for pays a week early. Ask your payroll people or HR.

Don't ask HR if you have a payroll department, just ask Payroll.

They will be the people who have the answer.

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Don't ask HR if you have a payroll department, just ask Payroll.

They will be the people who have the answer.

I wouldn’t ask HR, the ‘human reptiles’ have the managers and companies back unless something occurs where they are without a defense. If the manager wants to pay after Christmas but HR advise it’s not the best move it’s advice only the management can proceed as desired.

Advertisement