Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip to Dublin Commute

• 08-12-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

My wife and I were looking at the barnhall meadows estate by the Wonderful Barn recently.

Can anyone advise what there daily commute is like from Leixlip? Is the 66 reliable/always full?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The 66B that goes past that new estate is not that frequent. The 66X service is much better, but you'd need to walk to Green Lane to catch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

WAL1992 wrote: »
    Hi

My wife and I were looking at the barnhall meadows estate by the Wonderful Barn recently.

Can anyone advise what there daily commute is like from Leixlip? Is the 66 reliable/always full?

Thanks

From that end of town you are looking at 66b only being within walking distance, you will be at the very start of the route though, so very handy as you'll get a seat all the time, assuming they put a bus stop outside the estate. It starts and finishes up beside barnhall rugby club, which as the name suggests is close to the new estate. There are less of them than normal 66 though

66 will be a 20+ minute walk away and will be coming from maynooth and I'd imagine would be full every morning coming into leixlip.

If you fancy a short spin and park/ride there's trains out of leixlip too that's a better way to travel in my opinion, depending on where it is you have to get to of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 WAL1992

From that end of town you are looking at 66b only being within walking distance, you will be at the very start of the route though, so very handy as you'll get a seat all the time, assuming they put a bus stop outside the estate. It starts and finishes up beside barnhall rugby club, which as the name suggests is close to the new estate. There are less of them than normal 66 though

66 will be a 20+ minute walk away and will be coming from maynooth and I'd imagine would be full every morning coming into leixlip.

If you fancy a short spin and park/ride there's trains out of leixlip too that's a better way to travel in my opinion, depending on where it is you have to get to of course.

Sorry, Stephens Green is where I'm working.

Thanks for the reply

WAL1992 wrote: »
    Sorry, Stephens Green is where I'm working.

Thanks for the reply

I'd be driving up to Louisa Bridge train station (5 min drive) and getting train to pearse Station. No messing with traffic.

66b leaves at 5:55, 6:50 and 8:00, so not great
    8:00 will not get you in for 9:00 reliably every day

66 very frequent if you can get to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Also worth looking at local jobs. Plenty of companies nearby and in Maynooth, which mean no more (long) commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You have a choice of a 66B which is infrequent but passes your entrance, a ten minute walk to Easton Road which has dedicated 66X service morning and evening or a max 20 minute walk to Louisa Bridge for the rest of the 66 service and a good train service. You should always get parking at the train station also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's about a ten minute cycle to any of Leixlip Louisa Bridge , Leixlip Confey and Celbridge Hazelhatch train stations. You can't commute by bus from Leixlip to Central Dublin for work even Heuston would be a nightmare.

Rosahane wrote: »
    You have a choice of a 66B which is infrequent but passes your entrance, a ten minute walk to Easton Road which has dedicated 66X service morning and evening or a max 20 minute walk to Louisa Bridge for the rest of the 66 service and a good train service. You should always get parking at the train station also.
    Not really - alot of Intel contract staff park there.

But it's a five minute drive or a ten minute cycle with dedicated cycle path.

It's about a ten minute cycle to any of Leixlip Louisa Bridge , Leixlip Confey and Celbridge Hazelhatch train stations. You can't commute by bus from Leixlip to Central Dublin for work even Heuston would be a nightmare.

Leixlip Confey and Hazelhatch are much much further than Louisa Bridge and you can commute by bus to central Dublin, they go along the quays and stop at Merrion Square

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

You can't commute by bus from Leixlip to Central Dublin for work even Heuston would be a nightmare.

The 66X service bypasses Lucan and Chapelizod, gets into town in good time and is perfect for commuting. There is a stop on Green Lane which is about a 10 minute walk from Barnhall. As you are getting near the start of the service there is usually no problem getting seats. There is an evening 66X that stops nearly outside Barnhall (Leixlip Park) which is less walking to get home.

The Louisa Bridge train station is a 20 minute walk or a few minutes drive / cycle. The morning/evening service can be busy but is usually reliable and gets you into Pearse / Tara in around 40 minutes.

They are your best 2 options for commuting from Leixlip. Both are fairly reliable as far as commuting goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

JDxtra wrote: »
    The 66B that goes past that new estate is not that frequent. The 66X service is much better, but you'd need to walk to Green Lane to catch it.

This is mostly true but isn't exactly right - there is one 66X that leaves at 7:45 from Castletown Road. Shorter walk for you, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

As mentioned previously, if I were you I'd be looking at taking the train from Louisa Bridge, its about a 15 min walk from there.

Or cycle, drive to the train st.

Wouldn't go near the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Keyzer wrote: »

Definitely for the return journey home. Westbound buses during college term are chaos in the evenings. You could easily end up waiting an hour with full ones going past.

Keyzer wrote: »
    As mentioned previously, if I were you I'd be looking at taking the train from Louisa Bridge, its about a 15 min walk from there.

Or cycle, drive to the train st.

Cycle to Louisa Bridge or Confey - get off at Broombridge - green line tram

Or get off at Pearse and walk up
    Or get off at Connolly and Dublin Bike

Advertisement