Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for indoor?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Used to to do a bit of cycling here and there - nothing serious but had a basic road bike. Well I still have it but haven't gone out on it in a fair while

Wouldn't mind getting back into a bit of training. Was thinking of getting something for the garage so that I could start off indoors and not be able to give myself excuses of bad weather.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to avoid? I'm not looking for anything fancy. I don't need things linked up to computers or apps. I just want to get back doing some exercise rather than win the Tour de France

I also see there are static trainers like a stand and these roller things - that I see are more difficult (and possibly dangerous). But I don't mind practicing to get the hang of it if that would be a better system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plus a turbo tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

G1032 wrote: »

Thanks for that. I had just looked on Amazon and saw a wide range of price from about 30 quid up. I don't mind paying more for something decent that will last. I remember a friend of mine buying one years ago that he linked up to his computer and it played videos of where he was virtually riding - I don't want that kind of crap but I'm ok to pay a bit more for actual good quality or functionality.

Thats a good price at 145 then? I see it's about half price on clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

plus a turbo tyre.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance. What is a "turbo tyre". I just googled and got a lot of results for "turbo tyre trainers".

Is it just a slick tyre or some kind of special tyre? I had been hoping to have a set up I could switch the bike out an odd day as time progressed and actually get out in the fresh air.....although I actually have another older bike so maybe I could have one set up on teh trainer for the winter if it needs a special tyre

Edit: Ah sorry. Found this

Would they make much of a difference? Or absolutely necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anywhere to get a cheap thru axel wheel just for the trainer, don't really want to use my road wheel and tire...for a giant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks for that. I had just looked on Amazon and saw a wide range of price from about 30 quid up. I don't mind paying more for something decent that will last. I remember a friend of mine buying one years ago that he linked up to his computer and it played videos of where he was virtually riding - I don't want that kind of crap but I'm ok to pay a bit more for actual good quality or functionality.

Thats a good price at 145 then? I see it's about half price on clearance.

It's a good turbo. You'd probably get it elsewhere without the bundle for €120

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

A word of advice. I've seen many guys get cheaper turbos and not really use them. They end up hating the "feel" or sometimes jerky nature of them.

If you think you'll be in it for the long run and are looking for simplicity but quality riding then check out direct drive fluid based trainers

Advertisement