Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall, wiring inside?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi folks

Complete amateur here, so apologies if I use wrong terminology.

I'm looking to put up a curtain pole above a window in a bedroom. As a precaution, I ran a multi detector (bought in Lidl) over the area, and it's showing ac wiring.

Theres some old alarm cabling running along the underside of the top of the window, but it's a good 6" away from where I'm scanning. Is this likely to be causing the reading?

I would have thought that it'd be unusual to run cabling through an external wall. Theres no sockets or switches on this wall.

Is there any way to be 100% sure it's safe to drill into?

Thanks!
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Is it a solid wall or plasterboard
    It’s unusual but not unknown for wires to be run up a wall even though there’s no obvious electrical outlet close. This can’t be done under existing regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

Solid as far as I can tell. I might remove the alarm cabling and see if the detector still pings.

Any other tips? Really appreciate the help.

BK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

bking wrote: »
    Solid as far as I can tell. I might remove the alarm cabling and see if the detector still pings.

Any other tips? Really appreciate the help.

BK

Small hole and use a screwdriver to wriggle about for plastic conduit or wires.
    I’d be surprised if an electrician ran cables close to windows knowing curtains would be hung close by.
    Sometimes taking a chance has to be done and consequences dealt with. Mostly everything works out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is there an outside light?

It's possible you are misinterpreting the detectors response. There is probably a steel lintel inside the wall that it's picking up on.

Also, for a detector like this to work there needs to be a load on the circuit. So a feed to a socket or light that are not being used are unlikely to be detected. I'd never 100% rely on one of these.

Alarm cables are unlikely to trigger it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

No outside light at all. Could be a steel lintel alright.

Would you guys recommend knocking the electrics off for the house then drill and turn back on? That approach safe enough?

Any other recommendations/tips?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Use the detector again, put a pencil mark on the wall where it triggers for AC. Turn off the power and run it again. This will rule out a false reading.

After that use a small drill bit, it will go through the plaster like butter, if you hit solid and see steel swarf coming out (as opposed to copper, if you see that , run :D) then you'll know what's underneath.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

By the way alarms work on DC, not AC. I say this because the OP said the detector was picking up AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where does your mains power come in? Telephone? TV / broadband?

Advertisement