Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof/attic repair guy recommendations

• 08-12-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi. I just spotted a wet spot on my upstairs ceiling. Probably just slightly bigger than a tennis ball. Went into attic. Seems to be right in the corner of the house . Looks a bit damp. Can see water has got down somewhere between boards but no obvious leaks. The roof boards look a bit damp. Maybe even mouldy and rotting slightly. Probably the cause. Looking for number of a good repair man. Never had this problem before so not sure who to ring. Cheers for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hi. I just spotted a wet spot on my upstairs ceiling. Probably just slightly bigger than a tennis ball. Went into attic. Seems to be right in the corner of the house . Looks a bit damp. Can see water has got down somewhere between boards but no obvious leaks. The roof boards look a bit damp. Maybe even mouldy and rotting slightly. Probably the cause. Looking for number of a good repair man. Never had this problem before so not sure who to ring. Cheers for any recommendations.
    It could be a dislodged slate or torn roof lining allowing rainwater in.
    Contact TG (Tony Grace) Roofing.
    Tel: 086 0896343
    061 373590
    info@tgroofing.ie
    Facebook - TG Roofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Thanks for recommendation. Although unfortunately tg roofing said it would be after Xmas before he could look at it. Bad time of year I guess for it to happen . Will keep looking. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Treacy roofing. Have posted here about them before. They did work for myself and a couple of my neighbours. All of us were very happy with the job done.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109155822

Cheers will give them a buzz

Tried that treacy guy. He up walls busy at the moment. He gave me a number of some other guy that he subcontracts out to. Can't get thru to him at the moment. Tried someone else in meantime. Called Pro fitting Ltd. Got a quote of 1200 quid. He said there is a leak in the valley. Had to Google it. Will try a few more to hopefully get a cheaper quote. Doubt it though.

• Advertisement

Tried that treacy guy. He up walls busy at the moment. He gave me a number of some other guy that he subcontracts out to. Can't get thru to him at the moment. Tried someone else in meantime. Called Pro fitting Ltd. Got a quote of 1200 quid. He said there is a leak in the valley. Had to Google it. Will try a few more to hopefully get a cheaper quote. Doubt it though.

If the subcontracting lads are based in Clarina, he subcontracted them to do my neighbours roof and they were happy with the job so they come recommended too.
    I suppose it's just the time of year for leaks etc and they're kept busy.
    All of these things seem to go at the wrong time. Had my neighbour ask me last night for the number of the guy I use for the boiler as theirs is acting up.

More added expense that everyone could do without this time of year :(

Hi just wanted to say thanks to recommendation. Went with the guy that treacys subcontracts to and he had a look and told me it was two broken tiles and showed me pics of them. He charged me a hundred euro to change the tiles. That was about three weeks ago. Went back into attic today and looks alot dryer up there and no more leaking. The other guy I mentioned must have chanced his arm. Pays to shop around I guess. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissGriff

Hi just wanted to say thanks to recommendation. Went with the guy that treacys subcontracts to and he had a look and told me it was two broken tiles and showed me pics of them. He charged me a hundred euro to change the tiles. That was about three weeks ago. Went back into attic today and looks alot dryer up there and no more leaking. The other guy I mentioned must have chanced his arm. Pays to shop around I guess. Thanks again

I hadn't seen your original post, but I was nearly going with at first crowd you mentioned last year. 1500 they were gonna charge for exact same diagnosis..valley.....and it wasn't the problem at all.
    Got a recommendation for the Tracey subcontractors too....20 minutes, 80 bucks.....not a problem since.
    Yea it's staggering how easy it is to get caught out.
    Glad you found them.

I think that's why Treacy's can be hard to get hold of. They just seem to be so busy all the time, but I reckon it's because they're honest and don't go out to rip people off.

A lot of contractors really chance their arm. Had a problem myself with the boiler last year and usual guy didn't answer the phone that evening. It was making a horrendous racket so we needed someone in a hurry. Found a guy in Dooradoyle online. He came and had a look and told us the boiler urgently needed replacing and would be about €1600. We told him we'd have to think about it (not exactly small change) and he got a bit ratty.

Usual guy rang back the next morning, apologised for missing the call and said he'd call that day but from what we were describing he was pretty sure it was one of two things. Sure enough when he came, it was indeed one of those. He got the part which was just over €100 (showed us the invoice) sorted it and serviced the boiler while he was there. €180 all in. Hell of a difference between that and they guy who wanted to charge €1600!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

MissGriff wrote: »
    I hadn't seen your original post, but I was nearly going with at first crowd you mentioned last year. 1500 they were gonna charge for exact same diagnosis..valley.....and it wasn't the problem at all.
    Got a recommendation for the Tracey subcontractors too....20 minutes, 80 bucks.....not a problem since.
    Yea it's staggering how easy it is to get caught out.
    Glad you found them.

Any chance someone could pm me a number for these guys, think I have a dislodged roof tile after the storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissGriff

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Any chance someone could pm me a number for these guys, think I have a dislodged roof tile after the storms.

PM sent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

MissGriff wrote: »
    PM sent .

I'll take a PM of the tel. no too please, have a cracked tile will need looking at

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Can you pm me the number aswell, roof verge mortar failing on me.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Wow - So that was a bad day out for Pro Fit Roofing.

Mistakenly telling a customer they'd have to re-do an entire valley at a cost of €1200 when it turned out there was just a couple of broken tiles.

* Edit it seems they had the same issue with another posters roof - €1500 that time.

They were sooo unlucky with their expensive misdiagnoses weren't they? You gotta feel for them, tough old job calling out to people house and finding these mysterious, almost paranormal problems.

Can someone please PM me the number of the honest, decent roofing Contractor? I'm in fear of my life of some Cowboy climbing onto my roof and can't afford their hustle.

Advertisement