Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Pay

• 09-12-2019 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Seen as BOI are still in dark ages with this

What do other people do?

Do I setup a account with a bank that supports Google pay? Just for this

Can PayPal be used this way?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

jeffk wrote: »
    Seen as BOI are still in dark ages with this

What do other people do?

Do I setup a account with a bank that supports android pay? Just for this

Can PayPal be used this way?

Thanks

Revolut and Google Pay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or N26 is another alternative, google pay and apple pay. Normal banking service with a full banking licence in Germany.
    Transfer everything to N26, ditch BOI. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Another bonus is you will save money on currency conversion. So lets say you are paying for amazon using either N26 or Revolut, select to pay in Sterling rather than Amazons poor conversion rate to euro and let the bank do the conversion. This works out well as these online banks offer better conversion rates than traditional banks. Might only be a few cent that you save per order but it can add up.
    Same if you go on holidays and are using a different currency, you can save a bit there too.

Some people keep their normal bank for receiving pay,paying bills and savings and transfer disposable income to the online back and only speed that money on entertainment and non essentials. It can be a good way of keeping track of you money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the quick replies and information

I set up revolut last night and linked to Google pay in minutes, put a tenner on it and try it in coffee shop tomorrow

Unfortunately I've many things with BOI, then cause parents older I've the houses direct debt etc

I'm glad I asked know and If BOI drag their system up to date, then be easy to go down andeoid pay with them (I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you get a free physical card with Revolut? If not, and you haven't already paid, just wait a couple of weeks and they should offer you a free card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

Wheety wrote: »
    Did you get a free physical card with Revolut? If not, and you haven't already paid, just wait a couple of weeks and they should offer you a free card.

No, I managed to Google and find out you can get a virtual card and that can be scanned into goggle pay

Suppose if they offer it for free then I'll take one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Alternatively if you don't like Revolut have a look at Wirecards' https://www.beboon.com/ie/ which gives you virtual Mastercard that you can add via their app into Googlepay (and Apple) which is now free.

Boon supports also more mobile wallets than Revolut including Fitbit Pay's service etc.

Advertisement