Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Hospital Smoke Free Zone - Yeah right...

Options
  • 09-12-2019 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I've spent a little bit of time visiting somebody in the hospital over the last few days. I usually go to the car park at the back and enter the hospital by the door beside A&E.

I cannot get my head around all of the smokers huddling right beside that entrance. Apart from that, I really cant understand how the hospital is leaving up those signs saying that the hospital is a smoke free zone. Surely they should take those signs down or enforce it? Looks ridiculous to have those signs up while you pass through a smoke filled tunnel with visitors and patients alike smoking like theres no tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Azatadine wrote: »
    I've spent a little bit of time visiting somebody in the hospital over the last few days. I usually go to the car park at the back and enter the hospital by the door beside A&E.

I cannot get my head around all of the smokers huddling right beside that entrance. Apart from that, I really cant understand how the hospital is leaving up those signs saying that the hospital is a smoke free zone. Surely they should take those signs down or enforce it? Looks ridiculous to have those signs up while you pass through a smoke filled tunnel with visitors and patients alike smoking like theres no tomorrow?

Yep, it's disgraceful. I don't begrudge anyone a cigarette especially if they are under stress / unwell but Christ that's a shocking place to have a smoke. Have had to bring my little one through their numerous times and it's not right.

They should set up a small covered area away from the entrance if they can't enforce the no smoking rule

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Entering or leaving the maternity ward is a unique experience. You get a guard of honour from every knacker in the town smoking at that entrance, most of them still drunk from the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

gobo99 wrote: »
    Entering or leaving the maternity ward is a unique experience. You get a guard of honour from every knacker in the town smoking at that entrance, most of them still drunk from the night before.

Totally agree with this, Its not the hospitals fault I think. I saw a woman who was for sure under pressure having a cigarette there once and she was trying her best not to get smoke on anyone, thats fine but you also see people have a chat and a laugh who could not be bothered to walk 100meters out of the way. Some people are just scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It can be slightly intimidating if theres a bunch of them there. I really think they should either take down the signs of enforce it. Ridiculous situation as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Azatadine wrote: »
    It can be slightly intimidating if theres a bunch of them there. I really think they should either take down the signs of enforce it. Ridiculous situation as it stands.

It's been like that years unfortunately. Been through the labour ward with my OH 3 years apart and nothing has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

never heard anyone in Waterford refer to Ardkeen, WRH, UHW, as "Waterford Hospital." Someone from Wexford perhaps LOL?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since they dropped the 'Regional' and I can never remember to say University before I refer to the hospital I often call it Waterford Hospital. We all know what we are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

It was meant as an inoffensive comment hun! Worked in Wexford for a few years and it sounds very "Wexford" to me.. While we may know what we are talking about , it is very rare, if at all in Waterford IMHO to hear "Waterford hospital"! St. Patrick's Hosp, St Otteran's Hosp, Whitfield Hosp, Belmont Hosp? UHW usually called Ardkeen by locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Probably unlikely to be Waterford University Hospital for a while.

Ok, sorry, Universal Hospital Waterford.....cant edit the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Smoke can be irritating and the smell bothers a lot of people, but it is worth bearing in mind that the health risks of second hand smoke are very low. It is probably not harmless but the risks would be akin to breathing in air in the city in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Smoke can be irritating and the smell bothers a lot of people, but it is worth bearing in mind that the health risks of second hand smoke are very low. It is probably not harmless but the risks would be akin to breathing in air in the city in winter.

Some how doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

The ticket booth nearest the front door is a handy spot to have a ciggie. In fairness you couldn’t expect someone in a pyjamas to leave the grounds to have a cigarette. They may as well go to the Uluru while they’re at it.

They should not have the smoke free zone signs up all over the place because it isnt a smoke free zone...

• Do they still have the message over the tannoy about it being a smoke free campus?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Regardless, people are it supposed to smoke within the grounds. Doesn't matter if the smoke smells of roses

Advertisement