Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Check out the 'Public Performance or a Play' section

So basically Art now is going to be deemed hate speech where applicable.

Un fcuking believable

Top all the progressives out there...when are you going to wake the fcuk up?

Are you really in favour of these type of monumentally oppressive laws?

Screen-Shot-2020-07-21-at-00-38-26.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Are you really in favour of these type of monumentally oppressive laws?

Screen-Shot-2020-07-21-at-00-38-26.png

You know the answer, so why waste your breath. These laws just push progressive extremism even further. Instead of going to your employer to try and get you fired like they once did, they'll now go straight to the police. It's going to be such a waste of police resources.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

From the UK. He had a political debate on debate on Facebook and the next day the actual thought police turned up at his door! He wasn't arrested but may end up in court.

So the alleged crime is "Malicious communications" Their definition of "Malicious Communications" is making comments on an open forum, in this case social media, which is deemed to be offensive. Im sure the usual bleeding hearts on here will have their local stations run off their feet. Where the f*ck will the Gulags be located in Ireland? What a sad sight that video is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

So the alleged crime is "Malicious communications" Their definition of "Malicious Communications" is making comments on an open forum, in this case social media, which is deemed to be offensive. Im sure the usual bleeding hearts on here will have their local stations run off their feet. Where the f*ck will the Gulags be located in Ireland? What a sad sight that video is.

Once the system is inevitably turned against them they will join the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I do not think we need a hate speech law at all, When you can not even define what hate speech is it will get abused by people and makes others feel like they can not assert themselves, My brother was in Portland last year and he said every person was walking on egg shells the whole time and had to keep reaffirming what they meant by simply things they were saying.

On a side note you know the whole Current Affairs/IMHO will probably get shut down or become a big echo chamber like twitter is when anyone challenges trans identity or immigration.

• Advertisement

A recent article in by The Wall Street Journal behind a pay-wall. The header and the first paragraph, in this case, are enough to indicate what they're getting at.
    Though people of color report frequent attacks, nation is one of few in West without specific laws to prosecute those motivated by racial or religious hatred

Articles like these are a "call to arms" for the pressure gangs to shame Ireland and other countries into bringing in specific laws to further protect particular groups. Every single accusation and report of "racial or religious hatred" towards them must be taken as a fact without any investigation.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-ireland-domestic-racism-and-u-s-protests-spur-push-on-hate-crime-laws-amid-vacuum-11595434857

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I do not think we need a hate speech law at all, When you can not even define what hate speech is it will get abused by people and makes others feel like they can not assert themselves, My brother was in Portland last year and he said every person was walking on egg shells the whole time and had to keep reaffirming what they meant by simply things they were saying.

On a side note you know the whole Current Affairs/IMHO will probably get shut down or become a big echo chamber like twitter is when anyone challenges trans identity or immigration.

It will definitely be abused by the perpetually offended and professional victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hate-crime-bill-hate-talk-in-homes-must-be-prosecuted-6bcthrjdc

I genuinely shocked about what is transpiring in Scotland. WTF stuff. These people must be eviscerated from the political scene.

Something I wouldn't have said before but now I'm fine with it - Humza Yousaf is in this to defend his Islamic religion from any kind of criticism whatsoever and for no other reason. He's quite clearly a religious zealot and the Scottish people who voted for him must have their eyes opened to this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hate-crime-bill-hate-talk-in-homes-must-be-prosecuted-6bcthrjdc

I genuinely shocked about what is transpiring in Scotland. WTF stuff. These people must be eviscerated from the political scene.

Something I wouldn't have said before but now I'm fine with it - Humza Yousaf is in this to defend his Islamic religion from any kind of criticism whatsoever and for no other reason. He's quite clearly a religious zealot and the Scottish people who voted for him must have their eyes opened to this fact.
    Good God Almighty.
    "Conversations over the dinner table that incite hatred must be prosecuted under Scotland’s hate crime law, the justice secretary has said."

Whatever you do at the dinner table in Scotland, don't mention that you "hate" broccoli, as this Justice Secretary nutter Humza Yousaf will have you prosecuted (potentially).

Sounds like they will need to train Thought Police in Scotland soon if he gets his way. This world is going bonkers ......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wow
    Hate Speech!
    In Scotland .............. soon.

AllForIt wrote: »

If you're shocked you must have been asleep for the last few years. None of this stuff shocks me in the slightest anymore. The types who support this type of madness don't exactly hide their intent. They are walking the west into the worst sort of tyranny possible, so much so that the likes of Stalin would be proud.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good God Almighty.
    "Conversations over the dinner table that incite hatred must be prosecuted under Scotland’s hate crime law, the justice secretary has said."

Whatever you do at the dinner table in Scotland, don't mention that you "hate" broccoli, as this Justice Secretary nutter Humza Yousaf will have you prosecuted (potentially).

Sounds like they will need to train Thought Police in Scotland soon if he gets his way. This world is going bonkers ......

can't wait till every grandad and father of a 1st year arts student girl is getting put infront of a judge for what was said around the dinner table at Christmas.

this is literally Orwellian levels of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Thats the end of the Scottish adding anything of worth to the world of art anyway, sunny meadows and fruit bowls in pastels only this year. Next year maybe films about how great puppies are, we'll see.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Thats the end of the Scottish adding anything of worth to the world of art anyway, sunny meadows and fruit bowls in pastels only this year. Next year maybe films about how great puppies are, we'll see.

sounds a bit dog supremacist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Do you lot just never get tired of making the same joke over and over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Woah woah woah they've given us Irn Bru and the battered mars bar.

Sorry, I mean "domestic violence" mars bar.

Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Cat lives matter. All 9 of them

Do you lot just never get tired of making the same joke over and over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over...

Interesting, yet unsurprising. You care more about what jokes are being made, than the insane policy that is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Will they go easier on me if I turn myself in ?

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Will they go easier on me if I turn myself in ?

Turning yourself in is white privilege you racist, you have to fill your pockets with guns, hang around on a street corner looking shady at night and when a cop stops you you reach for the gun , get shot and the internet screams “he didnt do nuffin” and thats how it has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ireland is up next.
    Oh what joys will that bring I wonder.
    Our 'betters' have a penchant lately for wanting to be seen to outdo t'other little nations in the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

statesaver wrote: »

Is he "stirring up hate" (towards whatever group he identifies with) by broadcasting such an opinion? :)

Could he become his own victim of this nonsense?

Yeah this clip says all we need to know about this bellend

https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1321747906978811906

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I get that people are unhappy with the legislation itself and feel it goes too far or is fundamentally flawed, but I don't understand the outrage over the comments about what happens over the dinner table being prosecuted.

If somebody is inciting another to (for example) murder gay people over the dinner table (or on the theatre stage) I don't see any reason to exempt that. I don't see any reason to exempt it anywhere.

Surely the issue is with the law itself, rather than the fact that it will be applied everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

statesaver wrote: »

Dangerous. Bringing the Woke viliganties right into your home.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah this clip says all we need to know about this bellend

https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/status/1321747906978811906
    Mad that when you move to a nation that's 97% made up of pale Europeans it comes as a shock that those positions are taken up by same. Imagine having the hard neck to rock up to China and lecture and berate them over how all their governmental heads are *gasp* Asians. This is yet another insanity involved with this multicultural pipedream. Though under their new "hate speech" laws the above could sail close to the rocks of censure. Though that gobsh1te's opinions would be fine and see how slow they will be to move on "hate speech" from any minorities. These are crazy times indeed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

osarusan wrote: »
    I get that people are unhappy with the legislation itself and feel it goes too far or is fundamentally flawed, but I don't understand the outrage over the comments about what happens over the dinner table Being prosecuted.

If somebody is inciting another to (for example) murder gay people over the dinner table (or on the theatre stage) I don't see any reason to exempt that. I don't see any reason to exempt it anywhere.

Surely the issue is with the law itself, rather than the fact that it will be applied everywhere.

The problem is , the bar hasn't been set at ‘murder all the gays” its a lot lower, any criticism of islam, trans ideology, any minority could be classed as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The problem is , the bar hasn't been set at ‘murder all the gays” its a lot lower, any criticism of islam, trans ideology, any minority could be classed as such

If that's true, then surely that's an issue with the law itself, rather than it being applied for conversations at the dinner table as well as everywhere else.

If the bar is set too low, it's too low everywhere, and the dinner table should be no more or less protected than anywhere else.

As I said, I understand that people think the law goes too far, or sets the bar too low, but I don't see what the 'dinner table' issue really is at all, whereas it seems to be a separate issue for posters on here.

Maybe it's a symbol of the pervasiveness (or invasiveness) of the law I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement