Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness remedy please

Options
  • 09-12-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭

I am having morning sickness every morning now and feel like throwing up. It's my first trimester.
    I drink strawberry cordial with some benefit or 7up sugar free few sips.

Are there any drug-free remedy? I have seen wrist bands for morning sickness but not sure if they are any good.

Thank you and have a good week everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I found sucking mints helped. Ginger ale and ginger biscuits too. Mainly I never left myself get hungry as that made it worse so tried to eat little and often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you. Will get mints and ginger biscuits today.
    Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I found sucking mints helped. Ginger ale and ginger biscuits too. Mainly I never left myself get hungry as that made it worse so tried to eat little and often.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Girl_harbour

For me I drank lots of cartons of apple juice, and ate apples, as said try to make sure you eat even when sick, I found I felt worse if I hadnt eaten even though I didnt want to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vaquita

Definitely not letting myself get hungry!

I have salted crackers, biscuits, dried fruit in every desk drawer, every handbag, every coat pocket. If i get hungry at all I feel awful. But constant grazing really helped.

I found ginger and mint chewing gum in a chemist which is great too.

Oh and being really strict on myself not to gulp water. I wake up really thirsty but can guarantee if I drink lots of water too fast, I'll see it all again oh too soon. I got a smoothie cup with a pop up straw so that I have to take my time.

Thank you Vaquita for the tips.

I will get dry fruits and ginger mints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

I cracked and went with drugs to help but it was still bad even with them!

I found changing toothpaste to one without bicarbonate of soda really helped in the mornings. There's a colgate cool gel one that I preferred.

Sounds odd but I also found real coke helped - think it was the fizz and sugar combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I found a drink of water first thing in the morning really helped. Just a sip before getting out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I always felt worse when I was hungry, so like others, always had a stash of crackers or nuts nearby. Hopefully it will pass for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Food in the middle of the night. Cheese, protein bar, anything that had protein in it. It worked well for me, pity I only copped after weeks of suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Agree with the other suggestions here, try and snack regularly. I just had to graze all day rather than having any large meals. Salty foods, nuts, ginger biscuits. I had packets of mints everywhere. This was my last pregnancy. This time none of this is making much of a difference, so I started meds at 14 weeks. I was sick for over 20wks last time and just couldn't face that again with a 3yr old, full time job and a big trip over Christmas. Try all the suggestions given but at the end of the day if you are still sick and struggling ask the dr for meds. What I'm on isn't very strong I still feel a bit rough but the utter misery and all day sickness has reduced drastically.

• Advertisement

Thank you girls. I don't have sickness this morning. Had small meal at 11.00 pm instead of large meal at 7 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My wife used the wristbands and they worked for her. Or at least they helped ease the nausea. It's a placebo effect, but you know if it works, then it's worth it.

As others say, she always found her biggest enemy was a stomach that was too empty or too full. She's always adamant about never eating late at night, but found that a small snack just before bed would mean that she wasn't up in the middle of night feeling rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spring2019

I really hope some of the drug-free remedies help and work for you. If the drug- free remedies don’t help your GP can prescribe you Cariban which was literally a life savour for me during the first trimester. I couldn’t stomach food or much liquid and could hardly function. It is expensive but well worth every penny. I was very apprehensive about taking medication, despite feeling awful, however I was reassured by the GP that the medication was fine to take during pregnancy. Wishing you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Just to agree with Spring2019 if your sickness is impacting on daily life look for medication. I have hyperemis (severe sickness where nothing was staying down, even fluids) since 6 weeks, I was hospitalised and prescribed cariban and felt so good, only very slight hint of nausea some evenings but it stopped the vomiting. As I was so good myself and consultant felt it could be passed so stopped taking meds about week 16 within 3 days I was back in hospital. Needless to say I'm on them since. Please don't suffer needlessly. I've been assured by all medical staff it is safe during pregnancy.

Thank you so much!

For the last 2 days I hardly experience morning sickness, I am following advise given here, eating small snacks and not keeping my tummy empty.
    shhling wrote: »
    Just to agree with Spring2019 if your sickness is impacting on daily life look for medication. I have hyperemis (severe sickness where nothing was staying down, even fluids) since 6 weeks, I was hospitalised and prescribed cariban and felt so good, only very slight hint of nausea some evenings but it stopped the vomiting. As I was so good myself and consultant felt it could be passed so stopped taking meds about week 16 within 3 days I was back in hospital. Needless to say I'm on them since. Please don't suffer needlessly. I've been assured by all medical staff it is safe during pregnancy.

Thank you so much!

For the last 2 days I hardly experience morning sickness, I am following advise given here, eating small snacks and not keeping my tummy empty.

Glad to hear it. Pack snacks in every bag. I found individual packs of crackers or cereal bars great. I also found sparkling water helped as the gas helped relieve any gas in my tummy. This may have been in my head or placebo but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey, I'm in cariban since week 6. Stated taking 3 per day (2 x night and 1 in am). Felt this made hungrier & nausea so it down to 2 at night. Been doing good until.today (8 weeks now) hungrier, flu feeling in stomach and nausea. Are these normal side effects and should I go back to 3 a.day?
    Thanks in advance

Aveen wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in cariban since week 6. Stated taking 3 per day (2 x night and 1 in am). Felt this made hungrier & nausea so it down to 2 at night. Been doing good until.today (8 weeks now) hungrier, flu feeling in stomach and nausea. Are these normal side effects and should I go back to 3 a.day?
    Thanks in advance

I was on it from week 6 also. I found it stopped the vomiting but iI dd still have nausea until about the 12 week mark. I was on 4 per day. 1 morning, 1 afternoon and 2 at night. I was so good that by week 14 I felt it had passed and stopped taking them. By the end of the week I was back in hospital due to severe dehydration. I was back on and didn't stop until end of pregnancy but I did cut from 4 down to 2.
    With regards nausea I found salty crackers and sparking water really helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

shhling wrote: »

I can echo this experience also. Cariban was the only thing that alieviated the vommiting during my pregnancy and even with it I did still vomit the odd time! It is perfectly safe. I took it from week 8-week 24 of my pregnancy and I have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby smiling at me now! When I stopped taking it I was warned to stop gradually so if you are taking 3 a day cut down to 2, then 1, then 1 every second day until you are off them completely. However if you have severe enough hyperemesis you may well have to take cariban right up until the end of your pregnancy. Good luck!

Advertisement