Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on Christmas Day

Options
  • 09-12-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am working for a big company in the customer support. This department is split into people working onsite in the office and the ones working from home.

At the end of November we had a meeting scheduled and nobody knew why. But very fast we figured out that only people who work from home were attendees.

During that meeting our supervisor told us that they tried to close the business for Christmas Day but unfortunately they failed. Due to this, they required all of the home based advisors to work on that day, while the offices itself will be closed. Only those who have their regular rest days over Christmas will have off.

After some protests our supervisor offered to give us the 24th off, as big exception. Some of my colleagues - mostly those who have families - asked to get the 25th off, but those requests were denied and it was even nearly impossible to swap shifts with those who have their rest days over Christmas.

Some time later, our managers sent an email around, praising themselves that they managed to close the business over Christmas and thanked all who agreed in volunteering to work.

Now beside of the question if it is really necessary to open a customer service over Christmas, is it really legal how they did it? They were obviously not finding enough volunteers and therefore simply declared, that we home based advisors will volunteer to work. In our rosters, they blocked us from taking off that day with the wording "holiday volunteer", though most of us even protested against working that day.

Is it okay, to make us volunteers while our onsite colleagues are forced to take off? I know, some of them would like to work while a lot of us at home would like to have off.

Personally I think that it is not okay at all but what is the legal side of it? I know that even on Christmas, businesses are allowed to open in Ireland, but is it legal how they did it? I mean, they simply declared us to volunteers, while closing the rest of the business, denied all exception request, even for those of us who are really religious. On top of that, they increased the workload for us on that day (opening more lines). For me it feels at least slightly discriminatory as the employer forces home based employees to work "voluntary" and refuses any exception, even for religious reason.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ah, the aul religion card. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Christmas day is a public holiday. You are entitled to compensation for having to work it - ie another day off. You may be able to negotiate additional pay. If your contract stipulates the working of public holidays, then working on Dec 25th is no different.

Employer is under no obligation to grant you the AL days you request.

They don't seem to have handled it very well but I don't think they've done anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

dodzy wrote: »
    Ah, the aul religion card. :rolleyes:

If asked, I'm sure they would allow you take your lunch break earlier/later to allow you attend a religious service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

1. Is it legal? Probably. You'd need to check your contract tbh which lists how you get rostered and consequences refusing a rostered day. Lot's of people work Christmas day.
    2. Should they call it volunteering? Probably not.
    3. Do you have a choice? At this point probably not. You can decide if this if for you after Christmas but the business are unlikely to change their plans at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Wonder will many people be feeling sick or suffer from Internet connection issues on Christmas day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Wonder will many people be feeling sick or suffer from Internet connection issues on Christmas day ;)

Yep this is where all the home workers should go - would be fun if all did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your employer decides when you work.

You can apply for annual leave but they do not have to grant it.

If it’s a regular scheduled day you would work then that’s it settled.

Saying your religious is just silly talk, embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

_Brian wrote: »
    Your employer decides when you work.

You can apply for annual leave but they do not have to grant it.

If it’s a regular scheduled day you would work then that’s it settled.

Is that you, Boss?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are embarrassing yourself. You need to respect people right to practice their religion, what ever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Jim2007 wrote:
    You are embarrassing yourself. You need to respect people right to practice their religion, what ever it may be.

You are joking?

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »

The right to practice religion does not supersede your work responsibilities, expecting an employer to make allowances is stupid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jim2007 wrote: »

Why does anyone need to respect religious belief?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Is that you, Boss?

You don’t have to like it.

Your work set your schedule, your hours, and can approve or deny annual leave requests. They decide when you work.

You don’t like that leave and move somewhere else, where they too will decide when you work.

It’s life, get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Your doctor will give you any day off you need

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Eh, no he/she won’t. Try getting an appointment for a cert on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

The magical doctors cert isn’t as magical as you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rattle

You don’t have to like it.

Your work set your schedule, your hours, and can approve or deny annual leave requests. They decide when you work.

You don’t like that leave and move somewhere else, where they too will decide when you work.

It’s life, get used to it.

From www.citizensinformation.ie "Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken." I think the case could be made here that they are not considering family responsibilities.

@RandomGirl78 I expect if you let them label you as a holiday volunteer you have little come-back now. If you are just venting here rather than protesting too strongly at work I can understand, and its probably a sensible decision.

Rattle wrote: »
    From www.citizensinformation.ie "Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken." I think the case could be made here that they are not considering family responsibilities.

@RandomGirl78 I expect if you let them label you as a holiday volunteer you have little come-back now. If you are just venting here rather than protesting too strongly at work I can understand, and its probably a sensible decision.

People have to work Christmas Day, it’s a fact, it wouldn’t work if everyone could say “family” and expect to get the day off. I’ve worked plenty myself, amd I’ve made up schedules that have had people working Christmas Day when they would rather not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Brian? wrote:
    Why does anyone need to respect religious belief?

As long as what they are talking about isn't detrimental to others then why wouldn't you respect something that is important to someone.
    It would be like someone saying 'Why do I have to respect your cat? I can say it looks hideous if I want to'.
    You can say that but it doesn't mean your not a p**ck for doing so.

A bit of basic respect for other people goes a long way.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    As long as what they are talking about isn't detrimental to others then why wouldn't you respect something that is important to someone.
    It would be like someone saying 'Why do I have to respect your cat? I can say it looks hideous if I want to'.
    You can say that but it doesn't mean your not a p**ck for doing so.

A bit of basic respect for other people goes a long way.

I disagree on what constitutes “basic respect”, to be honest. I would never include religious beliefs in it.

In this situation basic respect would have been to inform the entire team that people needed to work on Christmas Day. Give them a really good explanation of why and how many people it will be. Then ask the workforce if they can come up with a solution of who works.

This should have all been done in September. Christmas is a big deal, whether you’re religious or not. The lack of respect here is both in the time frame and the lack of consultations.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I disagree on what constitutes “basic respect”, to be honest. I would never include religious beliefs in it.

In this situation basic respect would have been to inform the entire team that people needed to work on Christmas Day. Give them a really good explanation of why and how many people it will be. Then ask the workforce if they can come up with a solution of who works.

This should have all been done in September. Christmas is a big deal, whether you’re religious or not. The lack of respect here is both in the time frame and the lack of consultations.

The op said that meeting was called end of November to inform them of who would be working, prior to that they were looking for volunteers. Sounds like they did what you said they should, then one month in advance they had to make a decision because not enough people volunteered.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

They handled it badly and it’s galling to call it volunteering when they know people were given no choice, but surly not illegal.

Is this company based in Cork by any chance?

Dav010 wrote: »
    The op said that meeting was called end of November to inform them of who would be working, prior to that they were looking for volunteers. Sounds like they did what you said they should, then one month in advance they had to make a decision because not enough people volunteered.

The end of November is far too late. Should have been done much earlier.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not really you have to many people that could let's say get sick in that period.and someone said September hell no ,there would be an influx of annual leave requests

The op said that meeting in November happened because they couldn’t get enough volunteers. So the process started before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Could be easily remedied by putting generous incentives in place to encourage staff to work Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Brian? wrote:
    I disagree on what constitutes “basic respectâ€, to be honest. I would never include religious beliefs in it.

I was just replying to your comment, not the OP's situation.
    If you're happy to disrespect something that is incredibly important to some people then we have too very differing approaches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't see any suggestion the OP is being discriminated against on religious grounds (or any of the other protect grounds).

It’s incredulous that people here think that an employer scheduling an employee to work Christmas Day is being disrespectful to their religion or discriminating against them on grounds of religion.

People need to realise that work is work, it doesn’t have to facilitate religion.

OP was told in November that they were working at the end of December. That’s sufficient legal notice, of course OP has the right to apply for leave for the day but the employer has the right to refuse that.

I understand people don’t like working major holidays, I never loved it myself, amd got plenty of “feedback” from employees who I schedule on for major holidays, but it really is a case of suck it up, or leave and find a job where working major holidays isn’t a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One month's notice of rosters is standard.

Advertisement