Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on Christmas Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some employers would wanna get over themselves, only critical services need to run on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ironicname wrote: »
    You are joking?

You do know that people have the right to practice a religion and that many, many people all over the world continue to do so??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some employers would wanna get over themselves, only critical services need to run on Christmas day

Not for you to decide, providing support may be critical obligation for service providers. This was discussed on another thread, for many, Christmas Day is still a day that they use their devices and media.

Dav010 wrote:
    Not for you to decide, providing support may be critical obligation for service providers. This was discussed on another thread, for many, Christmas Day is still a day that they use their devices and media.

Gimme a break, big wopptie do if devices and media stop working, I suspect very few lives would be lost if so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

splinter65 wrote: »
    You do know that people have the right to practice a religion and that many, many people all over the world continue to do so??

Of course, but practicing your religion should not impact your job. An employer cannot be accused of discrimination for not recognising a holy day, if you took all religions into consideration, every day could be a holy day to someone.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Of course, but practicing your religion should not impact your job. An employer cannot be accused of discrimination for not recognising a holy day, if you took all religions into consideration, every day could be a holy day to someone.

Every other religion would get more consideration than Christianity in the Ireland we live in now.

splinter65 wrote:
    Why?

Why not, this is ridiculous stuff, people need time off to, strangely enough, happier workers are better workers, not giving them time off, particularly during major holidays can create a highly toxic working environment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You can go to Christmas mass on Christmas Eve night if that’s bothering you. You’d probably even catch an early mass before heading to work.
    Lots and lots of people who are religious will be working, and will have done so often. You can work around it. If not, I’m sure god will forgive you. It’s s****y to have to work Christmas Day, I’ve done it myself in the past. Using religion as a reason you can’t Is ridiculous though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why not, this is ridiculous stuff, people need time off to, strangely enough, happier workers are better workers, not giving them time off, particularly during major holidays can create a highly toxic working environment

Trying to work out how any of that is useful to the OP.

Got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

splinter65 wrote:

And working on Xmas day is stopping them practice their religion how exactly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not really you have to many people that could let's say get sick in that period.and someone said September hell no ,there would be an influx of annual leave requests

I’ve been involved in it as a manager and employee for the last 20 years and we never had a problem making it work.

There are plenty of businesses that run 365 days. Year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Dav010 wrote: »
    The op said that meeting in November happened because they couldn’t get enough volunteers. So the process started before that.

Yes, I know. But the end of November was too late to follow up. It should have been done earlier. We had this done in September. Volunteers and requests done by then.

they/them/theirs

S.G.M. wrote: »
    I was just replying to your comment, not the OP's situation.
    If you're happy to disrespect something that is incredibly important to some people then we have too very differing approaches.

I’m not actively disrespecting someone’s religion beliefs. But I don’t see it as something that should automatically figure into work decisions. It’s a choice to be religious, missing out on religious festivals is an inevitable consequence of making that choice in a secular world.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There's a strong bet that the OP is an Apple rep, they're one of few with a large number of remote CSRs.

xMas day, new iPhones and iPads etc.....

One month's notice of rosters is standard.

I’m sure it is. But it’s not a very nice way to treat people. I do plenty of things for my people that isn’t standard because I fully believe a happy worker is more productive. It’s stupid to treat people this way IMO. Nothing illegal about it, but plenty of poor planning.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Brian? wrote: »

There are plenty of businesses that run 365 days. Year.

Many businesses that NEED to.

Many others who CHOOSE to - they get the horn by advertising that they are operating 24/7 365 days a year... or whatever.

Going back 18 years ago I had to work one, a company who manufactures stop smoking patches, so busy at Christmas. My job was to enroll people into the ‘plan’ when they’d call... because I was then single, no kids.. I was volunteered ‘off shift’... basically penalized for not having a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The employer has handled this in an extremely clumsy fashion however if you work for a company that has to provide cover during these times then the management have to ensure they have adequate cover especially if the services/products they sell are technology based and being gifted.

My employer is shutting down over Christmas and we have been forced to take leave. That's not a problem for me as I love having a break over Christmas and I ensure I have days off to spare to cover it but some of my colleagues are not happy about this at all.

At the end of the day your employer dictates what leave you take to suit their business needs and yes the fact it is impacting you on one of the main holidays of the year sucks. If you don't like it ensure you change to an employer who doesn't need you to cover Christmas day next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

One month's notice of rosters is standard.

In theory, yes. But you'd be surprised how much it doesn't happen, particularly with shift work.

Advertisement