Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging cash at AIB into someone else's account - do I need my own card?

Options
  • 09-12-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My wife just called me saying they asked for her AIB debit card before they let her lodge cash (approx 500 EUR) into someone else's account.

She did this type of lodgement a couple of times already and they never wanted her card. ..since she lodged cash, and into someone else's account.
    I did lodgements like this too, but they just wanted my ID.

Is this some new legislation or she misunderstood something?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I had a similar situation recently; I had been using the kiosk machines to lodge cash to a residents association account, using the NSC & Account number, but had (in the end) to get a card for that account, in order to make the lodgements. I knew about it as there was notifications posted on the machines for the previous 6 months or so, indicating that a card was required.

I just found this on the AIB website, which backs up what your wife experienced, but no reason given as to why:
    AIB wrote:
    To make lodgements you need your AIB Debit Card/Express lodge Card, or to lodge to a third party account (an account which is not yours) press "Start" onscreen, enter either an AIB or Bank of Ireland Debit or Credit card and key in the relevant NSC (National Sort Code) and Account number. Then, simply follow the onscreen instructions.

[Edit] Looks like its the same at BOI, so I'd suspect this might be PSD2 related: https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/can-lodge-cash-another-persons-bank-ireland-account/

Advertisement