Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Scottish Open: December 9-15 (Eurosport, Quest)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ronnie starts off trying to fist-bump the referee. Ref says no, and kind of shakes Ronnie's fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rocket Ronnie brings his A game to Glasgow, thus far. Yoy'd wonder how Cahill managed to beat him at Sheffield.

And that's it. Ronnie through 4-0. The match lasted just 32 minutes.

Ronnie v Martin Gould next i think i heard. That will be tough. All about a good start for these best of sevens. No better sight in world sport than the Rocket in full flow. Poetry in motion.

Whats this about Ronnie fist bumping the referee because he doesn't want to catch germs shaking hands? Is this a new thing as i never saw it before?

Jimmy White was brutal yesterday. Some of his misses were atrocious. He should retire now before he becomes a bit of a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I had read before that Ronnie was a bit of a germ-o-phobe, but never seen him trying to fist bump people, although I take his point that some people’s hand shake can be a bit on the firm side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jimmy White was brutal yesterday. Some of his misses were atrocious. He should retire now before he becomes a bit of a laughing stock.

It was almost like someone plucked a random audience member out of the crowd and handed them a cue... he’s better off just calling it a day... he can’t be that stuck for cash, his long career and presenting work.

Strumms wrote: »
    It was almost like someone plucked a random audience member out of the crowd and handed them a cue... he’s better off just calling it a day... he can’t be that stuck for cash, his long career and presenting work.

And his punditry work isn't too good either. He could at east look like he's interested, or even alive, at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And his punditry work isn't too good either. He could at east look like he's interested, or even alive, at times.

Yeah, he looks tired, like a guy making a living, no doubt a very good living still, the only way he knows how, playing the game and talking about it.... but without any tangible success..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats this about Ronnie fist bumping the referee because he doesn't want to catch germs shaking hands? Is this a new thing as i never saw it before?

1 min 35 here

https://video.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/scottish-open/2019-2020/snooker-video-i-m-a-bit-ocd-with-germs-ronnie-o-sullivan-on-referee-fist-bump_vid1269716/video.shtml

Yeah awful alright but he always did miss chances. Even in the 80s and early 90s.

His game really started to decline badly when he put on a bit of weight. Couldn't get around the table as quickly and totally messed up his rhythm.

Last-32 matches this morning and afternoon.

Morning:

Mark Allen v Elliot Slessor
    Tom Ford v Zhang Jiankang
    Scott Donaldson v Kyren Wilson
    John Higgins v Andrew Higginson
    Jack Lisowski v Mike Dunn
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Marco Fu
    Peter Ebdon v Neil Robertson
    Joe Perry v Joe O'Connor

Afternoon:

Lu Ning v Chris Wakelin
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Martin Gould
    Jimmy Robertson v Kurt Maflin
    Shaun Murphy v Ricky Walden
    David Gilbert v Xiao Guodong
    Graeme Dott v Ding Junhui
    Liam Highfield v Mark Selby
    James Wattana v Judd Trump

Last-16 matches this evening.

Beautiful 72 clearance there by Robertson to win the frame from 0-62 behind.

Robertson has whitewashed Ebdon 4-0. Thepchaiya Un-Nooh has beaten Marco Fu 4-2. Higgins and Andrew Higginson are 3-3 and going to a deciding frame.

Robertson has whitewashed Ebdon 4-0.

feewwwaaaasss.gif

• Advertisement

Higgins squeaks through 4-3, but Kyren Wilson is out, beaten 4-2 by Scott Donaldson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thats a decent knock even by ronnie standards.

21st century of the season already for Ron. Total num 1,030, nearly 300 more than that other all time great John Higgins, and both started the same year. Simply fantastic.

Thats a shot from martin gould!

Ah jaysus...

• Advertisement

Gould in trouble here. Early starts vital in best of 7s.

On another table, Ding has lost the first two frames to Graeme Dott.

Century number 1031. No better front runner and all looks rosey in the garden but its kind of inevitable some player will get an early lead on Ronnie and then with the added pressure he has been known to wobble a bit so although he's flying at the minute he could just as easily go out in the next round. Still great to watch in this this form.

On another table, Ding has lost the first two frames to Graeme Dott.

Dott is a gritty player. No one gets an easy ride against him. Ding will have it all to do now.

Dott is a gritty player. No one gets an easy ride against him. Ding will have it all to do now.

Indeed. Dott 3-0 up on Ding now, so it doesn't look good now for back-to-back titles.

Ronnie goes through 4-0 but Dott has beaten Ding by the same score.

Dottie being playing well of late.

Interesting stat there, in beating Igor Figuerido 4-0 previous round, his opponent had 6 shots the entire match and 2 of those were break offs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dottie being playing well of late

Could never warm to Dott, there's something about him/his style where I find paint drying more interesting :(

"The new Ding" didn't last too long did he?

Inviere wrote: »
    Could never warm to Dott, there's something about him/his style where I find paint drying more interesting :(

I dont think he's the worst tbh, does look a bit dour but is pretty fluent when on his game, at least compared to some. Plus, is the proud owner of snookers greatest nickname though have to say sheriff of pottingham does run it close.

• Advertisement

These are tonight's last-16 matches:

Zhang Jiankang v Scott Donaldson
    John Higgins v Jack Lisowski
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Neil Robertson
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Perry
    Jimmy Robertson v Mark Selby
    Shaun Murphy v David Gilbert
    Mark Allen v Chris Wakelin
    Graeme Dott v Judd Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Inviere

I dont think he's the worst tbh, does look a bit dour but is pretty fluent when on his game, at least compared to some.

He kinda forms a 'trilogy' of players I struggle to watch (Dott, Carter, and Allen).
    Plus, is the proud owner of snookers greatest nickname though have to say sheriff of pottingham does run it close.

Lol, that is a bit of a classic alright :D

Btw I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really enjoying the separate threads for events lately. I don't get to see all the games so it's so much easier to keep updated, instead of trawling through huge multi-event threads :)

These are tonight's last-16 matches:

Zhang Jiankang v Scott Donaldson
    John Higgins v Jack Lisowski
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Neil Robertson
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Perry
    Jimmy Robertson v Mark Selby
    Shaun Murphy v David Gilbert
    Mark Allen v Chris Wakelin
    Graeme Dott v Judd Trump

Few humdingers there. Thep v Robbo, Higgins v Lisowski and Dott v Trump should be good. Ronnie will no doubt get live billing. Even Murphy v Gilbert is interesting. Good line up. I always enjoy the Home Nations.

Yes, Ronnie will be on the main table at 7, with Judd/Dott to follow.

Lisowski has been playing well (lost only two frames in the tournament so far) and Higgins looked shaky earlier today, so that one could be interesting.

Un-Nooh also has the potential to create an upset. Should be an interesting night!

Perry getting opportunities in this match but not taking advantage of them so far.

Ronnie and Selby go through, but Higgins and Robertson both out and Murphy struggling at 2-3 down against Gilbert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie so much better to watch when he's trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ronnie so much better to watch when he's trying.

Well, he's definitely better to watch than he is to listen to.

Murphy out as well, beaten 4-2 by David Gilbert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Dante7 wrote: »
    Well, he's definitely better to watch than he is to listen to.

Made **** of the host a while ago, saying that he only focused in on his bad shots when interviewed, don’t know his name, on Eurosport

Trump on point, you can hear the clear and distinct strike on the ball. Playing well and putting Doty under all sorts of pressure

Soon as I post that, trump misses and Doty back on the balls

Dott grew up in Glasgow and will have a lot of hometown support here.

Both players playing well

Good evening's snooker, if not a great one for the big names, with Higgins, Robertson, and Murphy all going out — although Higgins did make a century break tonight, which means that he has surpassed Hendry and is now second behind Ronnie on the all-time list.

And that brings us to tomorrow's quarterfinals:

Afternoon:

Mark Allen v Scott Donaldson
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby

Evening:

Jack Lisowski v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    David Gilbert v Judd Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Looking forward to Selby against Ronnie. I'm sure Selby is aware of Ronnie's comments about his slow play and I'm equally sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest and he will actually probably try and slow it down even more just to test O'Sullivan's very limited patience. Ronnie playing well but missed a few against Perry who had plenty of chances to at least bring it to a decider. You'd probably have to pick Ronnie on form but if Selby can make it scrappy who knows.

Potential semi-final meet up between pals Jack Lisowski and Judd Trump as well. Jack has never really pushed on from his early promise and still looking for his first ranking tournament win (I think). He's nearly thirty now so he's probably hit his ceiling at this stage. Tough match against Un-Nooh though and I can't see him making the last four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I feel Ronnie needs to win this since he's not playing in the masters.

I'd also love Lisowski to win. Nice player to watch.

Allen/Donaldson breaking off now on the main table with Ronnie/Selby to follow (but not before 2 pm).

Two tables in play this evening, with Trump/Gilbert on the main table.

Selby and Ronnie playing rock, paper, scissors in lieu of a handshake. :)

Ronnie butchers an early chance. Selby in. One thing walloping lads like Martin Gould but totally different matter playing one of his nemesis'. If Selby gets a good start it could be curtains for Ronnie. He"s a great front runner with no pressure but Selby, whether he admits it or not, gets under his skin like no other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement