Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen 3700x temperatures

Options
  • 09-12-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I bought a Ryzen 3700x during the black friday sales. So far it's all good, but I have noticed one odd performance quirk and wanted to see if I'm the only one.

If i have a temperature monitor open and use the maximum heat stress test in prime95 using all 16 threads the CPU temp maxes out about 69C.

If i use 8 threads it's a little bit warmer at about 74C.

If i use 4 threads it hits 95C and it's ready to cook a steak :p Is this what I should be expecting due to the frequency boosting behaviour of the chip when not all cores are loaded? If so, is there a way to limit the max temp so the chip doesn't boost itself quite so high?

Comments

Have you updated the chipset drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

BIOS update,
    my 3600x ran hot upper 70 playing BF5 but after BIOS update it maxed out at 69
    the voltage is different after the BIOS update

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Do you solve scientific calculations with your desktop constantly without giving the CPU a break?

If not play a game and monitor the CPU as Prime95 is very unrealistic as it absolutely trashes CPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

Have you updated the chipset drivers?

It took a while to trick the bios into reading the bios image from a portable hard drive, but I have the latest bios installed now. I also updated the chipset in windows and have the Ryzen Balanced performance profile enabled. I haven't noticed any major differences.

Thanks for the suggestions, I probably wouldn't have done it otherwise.
    If not play a game and monitor the CPU as Prime95 is very unrealistic as it absolutely trashes CPU's.

It's good as a known worst-case-scenario. I'd personally be a lot happier if my worst case scenario left the temperatures in the low 80s, though I may need to buy a better fan for that if it ends up being an actual issue during the summer.

The other problem which remains after updating everything is that the CPU temperature seems to fluctuate wildly with little to no actual load on the CPU. if I leave things idling on the desktop I can hear the fan revving up, then slowing down, repeatedly.

I have a temperature monitor and it says the temp is at 45, then it spikes to 57, then it quickly drops down to 45, then the cycle repeats. I've attempted to reduce this by changing the fan curve so the fan is on super low RPM until the temperature hits 63c.

Any other thoughts on what could cause this? Or is it standard behaviour for Ryzens?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

moon2 wrote: »
    It took a while to trick the bios into reading the bios image from a portable hard drive, but I have the latest bios installed now. I also updated the chipset in windows and have the Ryzen Balanced performance profile enabled. I haven't noticed any major differences.

Thanks for the suggestions, I probably wouldn't have done it otherwise.

It's good as a known worst-case-scenario. I'd personally be a lot happier if my worst case scenario left the temperatures in the low 80s, though I may need to buy a better fan for that if it ends up being an actual issue during the summer.

The other problem which remains after updating everything is that the CPU temperature seems to fluctuate wildly with little to no actual load on the CPU. if I leave things idling on the desktop I can hear the fan revving up, then slowing down, repeatedly.

I have a temperature monitor and it says the temp is at 45, then it spikes to 57, then it quickly drops down to 45, then the cycle repeats. I've attempted to reduce this by changing the fan curve so the fan is on super low RPM until the temperature hits 63c.

Any other thoughts on what could cause this? Or is it standard behaviour for Ryzens?

0 normal workloads will stress a cpu like prime. It's not even close.

I would not regard the temps in that as a worst case scenario. Your gaming temps will be at least 10c lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Disable AVX as AVX hammers CPU's even Intel. When you start prime and choose what test to run untick the AVX-2 button. So the test will be less stressful on CPU. It will still stress it a lot but not as bad as with AVX enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Realbench or OCCT are better benchmark tools than Prime95 imho

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I added a new fan and idle is 22 degress and prime95 is 46 max :eek: room temp about 17degrees. 5 fans total on my case now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

I have same processor but from the new build I fitted a 'Be Quiet Dark Rock' cooler and sold the standard fan. I watched Youtube vids before purchasing and most suggested this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement