Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked gully repair

Options
  • 09-12-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Small gully on the side passageway needs repair.
    Can some one give me an idea on how much would should it typically cost to repair or replace the cracked gully pot ?
    I have attached a picture of the area .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

If you are handy it can he done very cheaply, less than 50 I'd imagine.

It looks like clay/ tile gully pot. How old is the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Thanks , yes its seems to be clay . House is mid 70's and we've moved in late 2017 .

Plenty of modern cheap plastic gulleys readily available in builder providers circa 10 to 20 euro but not more for what your pic entails. You will have to dismantle remaining gulley / investigate size after removing slab etc

Should be a nominal size but there are on the shelf options to make a secure fit with rubber seals etc but again only after you've dug it out can you proceed/ know what to get.

Removing the slab, me, I would remove the grout with tools I have already , angle grinder or concrete chisels, then carefully tease/ pry the slab up. You can rent angle grinder with blade for about 30 for 1 day.If you really need to.

You may need to cut new gully to fit so again you can get seals/ fitments to accommodate this.

Place/ fit new gully and replace slab with a dry mix of sand/ cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ideal time to fix the run-off from the down-pipe which appears to be removing the grout anyway. Direct it over the top of the gully instead of being alongside it.

Plenty of modern cheap plastic gulleys readily available in builder providers circa 10 to 20 euro but not more for what your pic entails. You will have to dismantle remaining gulley / investigate size after removing slab etc

Should be a nominal size but there are on the shelf options to make a secure fit with rubber seals etc but again only after you've dug it out can you proceed/ know what to get.

Removing the slab, me, I would remove the grout with tools I have already , angle grinder or concrete chisels, then carefully tease/ pry the slab up. You can rent angle grinder with blade for about 30 for 1 day.If you really need to.

You may need to cut new gully to fit so again you can get seals/ fitments to accommodate this.

Place/ fit new gully and replace slab with a dry mix of sand/ cement.

Thanks a lot . . I wouldn't be able to do it on my own .
    I got a quote of 1000 euros + vat from a drainage crew ,thats way beyond I had imagined .What is the typical price of this kind of work ?

• Advertisement

That's a spicy price .Did they inspect it?

I cant see how it's that dear, unless they are replacing the run pipe aswell which would be a bit of work alright depending on the length of flag stones to be removed and replaced. One van and 2 staff off the road for the day etc

Where are you, theres a few websites that you can post a job needed and you should get a few replies and prices quickly as it will be easy money for the right person this close to xmas.

I cant see how it should be more than 350 really and even typing 350 seems mad as I'm very much diy .

That's a spicy price .Did they inspect it?

I cant see how it's that dear, unless they are replacing the run pipe aswell which would be a bit of work alright depending on the length of flag stones to be removed and replaced. One van and 2 staff off the road for the day etc

Where are you, theres a few websites that you can post a job needed and you should get a few replies and prices quickly as it will be easy money for the right person this close to xmas.

I cant see how it should be more than 350 really and even typing 350 seems mad as I'm very much diy .

Yes , I thought so as well .I was told that its a clay gully fractured and that the trap should be replaced with a pvc trap and that this would mean excavation around the drain although no one has surveyed it . This is based on the picture shared here . .

I am in Blanchardstown. Let me try see if I can get any better quotes than that .
    thanks anyways .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Pvc gully is cheap, need a small stub of soil pipe coming out if it, then couple to the clay with a rubber coupler. If your in blanchardstown, goodwins have both of these. Not a big job if you don't mind doing a bit. Had to do one myself.

many thanks .
    I finally got this sorted through a local drain repairer . He replaced the gully with PVC and the pipe connecting the gully pot to the rest of the drain . Fair bit of excavation and took them a few hours to reinstate the gully and clean up .

Advertisement