Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 Golden Globes

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tom Hanks gets the Cecil B. DeMille Award (Presented by Charlize Theron)

Charlize is a strange choice to present to Tom, why not Meryl, Sally, Julia, Ron, Robin, Tim or Denzel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not a frown on a single forehead, the Botox alone for the Golden Globes must have cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

AllForIt wrote: »
    From all accounts Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is just average. I was never a Tarantino movie fan anyway. Blokey movies !

Not all accounts. I thought it was great and spoke to a few people who share that view. My sister being one, but mainly blokes. His films do appeal more to boys, but I don't see much wrong with that.

Fleabag is very much a girls show. I've only seen a couple of episodes and I have to admit I thought it was brilliant, a rare example of something that lives up to the hype. But it's definitely a girls show.

And I think Ricky is brilliant at these awards. Hollywood is an incredibly hypocritical industry and it's hard to listen to them preaching at times. I'd heard all about Harvey weinstein and I'm an accountant in Dublin. The chances of everyone in Hollywood not knowing about him are zero. But for years he was a route up success so they turned a blind eye, or even played the casting couch game to get ahead. And for the past couple of years they're all shocked and appalled and now that they've officially heard about it they can't do nothing. It's hilarious to see it thrown in their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Joaquin Phoenix's speech was painful to watch. He was baked off his box. Brad pitt on the other hand was the epitome of class. He came across like an absolute gentleman.
    Loved Ricky Gervais jokes, he made most people in that room very uncomfortable which is a great thing. The truth can be a painful thing to hear and a lot of them do not like the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

santana75 wrote: »
    Joaquin Phoenix's speech was painful to watch. He was baked off his box. Brad pitt on the other hand was the epitome of class. He came across like an absolute gentleman.
    Loved Ricky Gervais jokes, he made most people in that room very uncomfortable which is a great thing. The truth can be a painful thing to hear and a lot of them do not like the truth.

Was Angelina Jolie there, a few of Brad's exs were :D he looked good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

CatFromHue wrote: »

Kermode really needs to learn how to form an opinion. What a wallflower. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He's right though, the competition is a farce, Gervais there purely for the viral element & controversy his known brand of humour would generate.

It's worth reminding that The Martian won a Globe in 2016 for "best comedy or musical". These awards ceremonies are pure puffery at the best of times, but the Golden Globes arguably the lesser of the two big American ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not a frown on a single forehead, the Botox alone for the Golden Globes must have cost a fortune.

Just on that, Quentin Tarantino looked basically plastic faced to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

How they'll all look in 20 years time is the stuff of nightmares.

pixelburp wrote: »
    He's right though, the competition is a farce, Gervais there purely for the viral element & controversy his known brand of humour would generate.

It's worth reminding that The Martian won a Globe in 2016 for "best comedy or musical". These awards ceremonies are pure puffery at the best of times, but the Golden Globes arguably the lesser of the two big American ones.

I would have shared that view before at least after the last few years, but having seen most of the stuff nominated and seeing Crow, Succession and Brian Cox win for shows that were by far the best of the year in my opinion, gives me faith that at least the TV results were legit and very much worthy of the awards. Coleman was outstanding in the crown, Zellweger gave a career best as Judy. The awards pretty much hit the mark this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Brian Cox's win was the best of the night for me. He said in the press room after getting his award that it was the best moment of his career. A man who had a really tough upbringing, truly came from nothing, and as he said himself, felt his time had passed. He got the role of a lifetime in his 70s. It is a great moment for him, even if the Golden Globes are bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

PressRun wrote: »
    Brian Cox's win was the best of the night for me. He said in the press room after getting his award that it was the best moment of his career. A man who had a really tough upbringing, truly came from nothing, and as he said himself, felt his time had passed. He got the role of a lifetime in his 70s. It is a great moment for him, even if the Golden Globes are bs.

It was like Ruth Gordon winning an Oscar for her part in ‘Rosemary’s Baby’ in her 70s and saying in her speech: “I can't tell you how encouragin' a thing like this is.” :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

santana75 wrote: »
    Joaquin Phoenix's speech was painful to watch. He was baked off his box.

was he high? or just nervous?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

fryup wrote: »
    was he high? or just nervous?

Worse. He was in character.

Advertisement