Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House, shut down old account

Options
  • 09-12-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

hi there

i am moving from an apartment i rent at present to a house we have bought in mid January.

what is the process for shutting down the current Electric Ireland account? (and getting the deposit refunded)?
    also, can i move my account to the new address from that date?
    i would ideally like to avoid any re-connection fee.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Young_gunner,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Begin by taking a meter-reading on your last day at your current address, and taking a meter-reading on your first day at your new address (check with e.g. the auctioneer what the meter point reference number/MPRN is also). We can close your account for you by private message here on Boards, and you can then open a new account at your new address, commencing from the same day. You would just be required to pay a reconnection fee if the supply is off by the time you move into your new address.

You can then open your account for your new address. There is a number of ways to do this, and we can advise you of the most suitable one when we have your account details.

Let us know if you have further queries in the meantime.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Hi Una

Many thanks for your reply.
    re. my current address - there is really nothing I can do til the date I move out? (15th January). I can pm you the account number now.

If I provide you with my new address and our date of moving can you ensure that the supply is not cut off there (so as to avoid a reconnection fee)? we will be moving into this new address probably just before Christmas.

Many thanks

Hi Young_gunner,

Thanks for your post.

We thought you meant you will be moving out of your current address in mid January and moving into your new address about the same time.

The meter-reading(s) from the final day at your current address are required for the closing bill to cover usage and charges up to that date.

You can register another Electric Ireland account for your new address before then though - on whatever date you wish. We cannot prevent vacant premises disconnection - the only way to prevent this is registration for payment of supply. We recommend checking whether it is registered in the name of e.g. the auctioneer.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

that's great - thanks Una.

there will be a bit of an overlap between I move out of my rental property (15th Jan) and when we have the house (probably end Dec / early Jan).

when I know the precise date we can move into the house, can I let you know and we can set up the ESB there? (is this forum the best way to contact you?)

thanks again for your help!

Hi Young_gunner,

You are very welcome - we're happy to advise.

If you private message any of us reps the details of the Electric Ireland account that is currently active, we can advise you regarding opening the new account (as it depends on certain factors).

We will require the Electric Ireland account number, name, address, telephone number on the account, and please state for GDPR (Data Protection) that you are the account-holder. Also, if you confirm the MPRN and address of the property that you are moving into, we can see whether it is currently with Electric Ireland and what its status is at the moment.

We can take those details from you today if you wish.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement