Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermatologist

Options
  • 09-12-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My mam went to a dermatologist during the summer to inspect sun spots.

He told her to come back before christmas to get them frozen off.

She made an appointment for today. Went in expecting her procedure to be done and he said no he wasnt doing it until after Christmas. She was in and out with him in a minute but charged her 35.00e

Is it that right? It was his decision not to do the procedure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

so your mam made an appointment and was charged for it

don't see ethe issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

so your mam made an appointment and was charged for it

don't see ethe issue here

She went to see him in the summer. He inspected the sun spots. He told her to come back before christmas to freeze them.

She made an appointment to get them frozen. Within 60 seconds he talked her out of getting it done until after christmas. (He obviously couldnt be arsed doing it there and then).

He then charged her for a service she did not get. It was his choice to say he would freeze them after christmas. She rushed from work expecting the procedure to be done. Just like he had asked during the summer.

So what was the charge for? It was not her fault he couldnt be bothered doing it. 60 seconds to be told no actually we wont do it now. Thats 35e please.

Would you not be outraged? Can you not see the issue now?

She went to see him in the summer. He inspected the sun spots. He told her to come back before christmas to freeze them.

She made an appointment to get them frozen. Within 60 seconds he talked her out of getting it done until after christmas. (He obviously couldnt be arsed doing it there and then).

He then charged her for a service she did not get. It was his choice to say he would freeze them after christmas. She rushed from work expecting the procedure to be done. Just like he had asked during the summer.

So what was the charge for? It was not her fault he couldnt be bothered doing it. 60 seconds to be told no actually we wont do it now. Thats 35e please.

Would you not be outraged? Can you not see the issue now?

No, I wouldnt be outraged

she didnt pay for a "service" she paid for an appointment antd that's what she got

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I disagree. She booked an appointment for a service and she didn't get that service.

She was willing and able to avail of that service on that day, but it was the dermatologist who decided not to perform it. Therefore it is no fault of her own that the procedure wasn't done, she is the one who was inconvenienced by showing up to an appointment that wasn't fulfilled, and she should not have had to pay.

I bring my car to a garage, and the mechanic advises on what work I'll need done. We agree on booking an appointment for a few weeks time to do it.
    I arrive on the agreed day and he decides not to do it for another few weeks, would I or should I have to pay?
    Absolutely not. And this is the exact same.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I disagree. She booked an appointment for a service and she didn't get that service.

She was willing and able to avail of that service on that day, but it was the dermatologist who decided not to perform it. Therefore it is no fault of her own that the procedure wasn't done, she is the one who was inconvenienced by showing up to an appointment that wasn't fulfilled, and she should not have had to pay.

I bring my car to a garage, and the mechanic advises on what work I'll need done. We agree on booking an appointment for a few weeks time to do it.
    I arrive on the agreed day and he decides not to do it for another few weeks, would I or should I have to pay?
    Absolutely not. And this is the exact same.

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She had a consultation with the dermatologist during which he advised her to wait till after Christmas to have the procedure. She was charged €35 for the consultation. That’s it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

splinter65 wrote: »
    She had a consultation with the dermatologist during which he advised her to wait till after Christmas to have the procedure. She was charged €35 for the consultation. That’s it really.

In fairness to her though, she already had a consultation and then basically had another one because the dermatolist didn't do what they said they were to do and wait until after Christmas. She basically paid for two consultations when one was needed and when an apointment was made the second time, she could at least of been told over the phone (or email) "look we'll do it after Christmas", could of gave some rubbish reasons to why and left it at that. Consultant got 35quid extra and mother is left fuming. Would you go to your doc after being told you need an op, make an apointment then being told "ah no not today" but still had to pay a fee anyways? I know for a fact I wouldn't, epically after being advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

How much did the first consultation cost? €35 sounds very cheap for a consultation? Why did she not dispute it at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,651 ✭✭✭✭28064212

She made an appointment to get them frozen. Within 60 seconds he talked her out of getting it done until after christmas. (He obviously couldnt be arsed doing it there and then)
    This is the critical part, and it's pretty much been glossed over. What do you mean he "talked her out of it"? What reason was given? On what basis so you think he "couldn't be arsed"? What was actually said during the consultation?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can't say that I'd be happy myself paying €35 for a 60sec appt if thats really how long it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Baseball72

Much a do about nothing . €35 is a nominal charge for a dermatologist . Normal charge easily €150 with a first consultation likely to be €200+

He could have assessed her again for any changes to skin etc.

The main point is that the procedure, whenever it is to be done, is done with 100% success. Hopefully that will be the case, no doubt it will cost a few bob, but what price do you put on good complexion.......

He did nothing because he was rushing to see the next patient who he did do a procedure on. He did nothing for my mother. Why would you charge 35e for nothing?
    Baseball72 wrote: »
    Much a do about nothing . €35 is a nominal charge for a dermatologist . Normal charge easily €150 with a first consultation likely to be €200+

The main point is that the procedure, whenever it is to be done, is done with 100% success. Hopefully that will be the case, no doubt it will cost a few bob, but what price do you put on good complexion.......

No. She was there for a procedure. He said no il do it after christmas. Thats 35e please.
    Thats a joke. There was no service provided.

Caranica wrote: »
    How much did the first consultation cost? €35 sounds very cheap for a consultation? Why did she not dispute it at the time?

70e for the first consultation. He provided absolutley no service for 35e.

Baseball72 wrote: »

So you pay money for services you dont get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

He probably advised her not to go into xmas being all pockmarked. €35 well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I have found similar problems with dermatologists. No help to me but fully charged. This case is even worse though as your mother was told to turn up for something that didn’t go ahead.
    Just like Johnny sausage posting in this thread the doctor is acting the maggot.
    Would you mind messaging me who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No. She was there for a procedure. He said no il do it after christmas. Thats 35e please.

Did they say why they wanted to wait until after christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When you decide to go the private medicine route then you are paying paying paying for every single minute of the doctors time.
    Paying for all his years training. Paying for all his years experience. Paying for his expertise.
    I find it hard to believe that your mother was scheduled to have a treatment yesterday and the treatment didn’t take place because he “couldn’t be arsed”. That doesn’t make any sense to me. If she had an appointment and he didn’t intend to do it then he would have cancelled it.
    Something isn’t adding up here.

When you decide to go the private medicine route then you are paying paying paying for every single minute of the doctors time.
    Paying for all his years training. Paying for all his years experience. Paying for his expertise.
    I find it hard to believe that your mother was scheduled to have a treatment yesterday and the treatment didn’t take place because he “couldn’t be arsed”. That doesn’t make any sense to me. If she had an appointment and he didn’t intend to do it then he would have cancelled it.
    Something isn’t adding up here.

The obvious thing that isnt "adding up here", is that the receptionist f$$$ed up making the appointment and he didnt have the time to do the procedure. The waiting room was full. But that error is not down to my mother and she shouldnt have to pay for it.

Why, pray tell would I write about the visit omitting any details? I am asking for advice on what happened because it was, in my opinion a complete joke that she was charged. If I omitted something like my mother failed to make a proper appointment or it was her fault in some way then I would not be here writing this in the first place.

And this "your paying for his expertise" bla bla bla, is complete rubbish. Just because he has a piece of paper hanging on his wall, it does not give him the right to extort money from his clients.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    He probably advised her not to go into xmas being all pockmarked. €35 well spent.

Then why ask her to come in just before christmas then? That doesnt fly. My mother didnt give a fiddlers fart if she was pockmarked.

Did they say why they wanted to wait until after christmas?

Because she would be all red. My mother said she didnt mind but he kept pushing her off. He definitely did not have time to do it. The waiting room was full. I would reckon it was an oversight with the receptionist. But mam had to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

antix80 wrote: »

yeah, maybe she should go in next week too and avail of these bargain appointments while she can, more money well spent... :rolleyes:

So she goes in after christmas and lets slip she has a wedding to go to and he insists on putting it off again? even though she insists she has no problem? -suppose that would be money well spent again.

this forum is fcuked, some play devils advocate which is fair enough, but others come out with some really mad stuff which they would never dare utter to friends who said the same thing to them in real life -as it would be utterly ludicrous to do so.

Start a go fund me there OP we will get ya that €35 back in no time :rolleyes:;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Take the follow on appointment, request a price and tell them you are deducting the €35 for the deferred original appointment, if they query it then tell them what happened last time i.e. service requested not provided.
    Your mum did not book a consultation, that was the first appointment she paid for, she booked for removal appointment as agreed at first appointment, if the dermatologist knew he/she was not going to be providing the service they should have looked at the reason for appointment and phoned back to cancel.
    You are dead right here OP

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

slave1 wrote: »
    Take the follow on appointment, request a price and tell them you are deducting the €35 for the deferred original appointment, if they query it then tell them what happened last time i.e. service requested not provided.
    Your mum did not book a consultation, that was the first appointment she paid for, she booked for removal appointment as agreed at first appointment, if the dermatologist knew he/she was not going to be providing the service they should have looked at the reason for appointment and phoned back to cancel.
    You are dead right here OP

Dermatologist under no obligation to provide the treatment at the price less deduction. The likely response to an ultimatum would be a PFO.

As the owner of a health Clinic, I can appreciate the ops point of view, and he/she has a right to be annoyed. A phone call to the Dermatologist’s Secretary should really be enough to sort this out, I would be surprised if the Consultant stood over the charge, particularly if she was told that the next appointment was for the removal of the spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Dav010 wrote: »
    Dermatologist under no obligation to provide the treatment at the price less deduction. The likely response to an ultimatum would be a PFO.

In that case, I'd wait until I received the treatment agreed and then deduct the €35 when it came to paying. Nice and polite, but firm.

If I got no advance notice that my initial treatment appointment was not going ahead and had to pay anyway, why give the dermatologist any advance notice of a legitimate deduction? What are they going to do? Stick the sunspots back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’d be raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have never heard of a dermatologist who charges only €70 for a first consultation, it would normally be three times that! Are you sure he’s a qualified doctor!

• Advertisement
Advertisement