Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Colleague talking shoes and socks off at desk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who made up God!?

Typo. Bippo. Whatso.

Now fixed.

And she'll say "who made you God?"

If there's a real safety or customer perception issue, then go to HR. Otherwise, get yourself some body counselling and get over it: feet are a good deal less gross than noses or mouths and we don't insist that they're covered.

thats because we need them to breath,, feet not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If they are coming under your desk and getting in your way I’d be saying something. When did we get to the stage in life where we can’t say something to a coworker. Make a joke of it if you want but you could definitely start by saying something.

After that just ignore it.

I see one of my own kids doesn’t like the look of other people’s feet, I just tell her to get over it and ignore them. Ironically she’s a high level competition swimmer where she has to ignore lots of feet all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Yep her feet under my desk every day .
    She is a very quiet girl wouldn’t say boo to a mouse if I say anything to her she will be hysterical . Her English is not great either so I’m afraid she will take it the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Bring some gravel in a sprinkle around the place?

A box of Lego and some upturned plugs will put an end to this Tom foolery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Yep her feet under my desk every day .
    She is a very quiet girl wouldn’t say boo to a mouse if I say anything to her she will be hysterical . Her English is not great either so I’m afraid she will take it the wrong way
    you didn't tell us where she's from - but at least confirmed she may have a different cultural background than yourself. sometimes we all need to embrace diversity.

in work, I wouldn't be bothered if ppl hang around their desks bare foot, as long they've no smelly feet. some ppl can be more productive with no shoes on :)

but I would be bothered by ppl wanting to keep their feet under my desk: barefoot or not, my under desk is just for my feet: I would defo say something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

mvl wrote:
    you didn't tell us where she's from - but at least confirmed she may have a different cultural background than yourself. sometimes we all need to embrace diversity.

So if she wasn't foreign, it would be appropriate to ask her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Just saya there is a new office rule, any toes I find under my desk I get to suck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My Work Colleague takes her shoes and socks off at her desk and walks around the office barefoot . she then has her legs stretched out and her feet under my desk .. i think this is gross .. whats the best way to handle this ...

never move to NZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is gross. Not even my smoked mackerel on toast at my desk colleague would do that. It's a HR job OP. Let them tackle it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

OP - Pics or its not happening. From different angles.... mmmm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_fetishism

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I had an old work colleague who used to do this, he'd also pick at his toes with a pair of scissors.

I went to stationary cupboard and got 4 pair of scissors, every time he took his socks off i started throwing scissors at his piggies, funnily enough he soon stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Apparently it's a Scandinavian thing. A colleague here does just that and claims you are more productive bare foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can you not put something in her way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

yeah, wearing no shoes can be the norm in other countries.
    bare foot or not, at the end of the day, it depends what's in the dress code for the job she's doing ... but would tell her to keep her feet away from my under-desk as (and now I struggle to find a PC equivalent for) "no footsies allowed in work" ...

PS: I am under the impression that companies seem to allow individuals more freedom to express themselves these days (race, gender, blah blah).
    for example, assume there is a long haired fella with a dodgy hair color in my work place - thinking if I'd complain about that color (e.g. it hurts my eyes to look at, or is not matching with the company image I came to work for ... a number of years ago), I would be the one ending on a HR blacklist...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Shoes or no shoes I'd be accidentally kicking or stepping on any feet under my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Bare feet wouldn't bother me once they were clean, didn't smell, and the nails were well kept.

However, the feet under my desk would annoy me - is your office very cramped or the desks tiny? You must be sitting in very close proximity if her feet and legs reach under your desk?

There are rules about minimum space?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Nothing some thumb-tacs thrown under your desk won’t sort out...

It’s also a great cure for sleep walking too haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I just clapped myself on the back. While most people seem to have a problem with this I've no issues with it.

And I open toilet doors with the sleeve of my jacket or keep the door open with my foot as I wash my hands and turn off the tap with tissue paper if necessary. This I have no issue with. Bare hands/feet. Meh.

Go me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The future of work.... guess people will have to get used to it..

Last interview I did the interviewer was in a singlet, shorts and horror No Shoes!!!!!!

The CEO of a $1 billion company explains why he makes everyone who walks into the office take their shoes off

56ec5aba8ceb959363d87d60?width=300&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

lawred2 wrote: »
    Uuurghh just vomited in my mouth

Spit it out quick.Do not swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

The oddness of humans I guess. Have people walk around in bare feet and socks is far more hygienic than shoes funnily enough.

What would put me off walking around in bare feet is the fact that other people are walking around in shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A quick and firm kick in the balls

of the foot

Augme wrote: »
    The oddness of humans I guess. Have people walk around in bare feet and socks is far more hygienic than shoes funnily enough.

What would put me off walking around in bare feet is the fact that other people are walking around in shoes

that simply cannot be true. if you wear shoues you are exposed to only one persons dirt,(yourself). you walk around with your shoes off and you are exposed to everyones dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

that simply cannot be true. if you wear shoues you are exposed to only one persons dirt,(yourself). you walk around with your shoes off and you are exposed to everyones dirt

Not if everybody takes off shoes in office - think japanese house - much more sanitary actually.

Not if everybody takes off shoes in office - think japanese house - much more sanitary actually.

no chance in hell.

i dont think its even posible on a theoretical level let alone practiaclliy
    think about it. everyones feet have some level of dirt, sweet, skin cells, etc. so unless one person is the only person to ever come near the room then there has to be more dirt if there are more people

of course floors can and probably are dirtier when people wear shoes on them but your feet ( the only part that regularly comes in contact with the floor) are only in contact with the dirt inside your shoes or socks . thats the same level of dirt that you are spreading around the floor by taking them off, just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

no chance in hell.

Shoe free offices are hot at the moment- this is just one example: https://www.businessinsider.com/gusto-headquarters-office-tour-no-shoes-policy-photos-2018-6

Shoe free offices are hot at the moment- this is just one example: https://www.businessinsider.com/gusto-headquarters-office-tour-no-shoes-policy-photos-2018-6

Filthy feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Not disagreeing with you. I'd never walk around in socks/bare feet in work because of all the dirt from other people wearing shoes. However, people saying "oh going around in bare feet is disgusting" I think are wrong, as I think what's on the sole of someone's shoe is far more disgusting.

Advertisement