Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW recall EGR

• 09-12-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Got into the car this morning and had a coolant warning. 2017 BMW F11. 520d. Thought it was a bit unusual so rang Frank Keane black rock and they told me there was a recall on the EGR. They didn’t have a slot till the new year so the woman gave me the number for bmw assist.

Rang them and car was collected about an hour later and a 191 5 series dropped off from Europcar at the same time.

So far I’m pretty impressed with the service. We will see I suppose how long they keep the car for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Our F10 was gone for ~ 2 weeks. Not sure how long it takes to get parts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

heroics wrote: »
    Got into the car this morning and had a coolant warning. 2017 BMW F11. 520d. Thought it was a bit unusual so rang Frank Keane black rock and they told me there was a recall on the EGR. They didn’t have a slot till the new year so the woman gave me the number for bmw assist.

Rang them and car was collected about an hour later and a 191 5 series dropped off from Europcar at the same time.

So far I’m pretty impressed with the service. We will see I suppose how long they keep the car for.

To be honest, it's very easy for them (BMW) to provide an impressive back up service.
    However I'd be pretty pissed off if my 2 year old car developed a fault that required a 'recall'. You'd expect a company with the reputation of 'BMW' to (at this stage) build reliable and bulletproof cars. They aint exactly 'cheap' to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars develop faults and recalls all the time. Just because some cost more to buy than others doesn't make them any more or less impervious to recalls. The only difference is some people's expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Tazio wrote: »
    Our F10 was gone for ~ 2 weeks. Not sure how long it takes to get parts now.

Thanks. They gave me the rental for 2 weeks so hopefully does not take longer than that.

The person in Frank Keane said they were having problems but were turning them around pretty quickly at the moment.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cars develop faults and recalls all the time. Just because some cost more to buy than others doesn't make them any more or less impervious to recalls. The only difference is some people's expectations.

Once the customer service meets expectations I understand stuff goes wrong.

I bought a 171 Audi A6 in Jan that had a small problem (Battery needed to be replaced) and I found the Audi customer care both at the dealer and through Audi Ireland to be terrible. Annoyed me so much I changed back to BMW in May.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you pay more for a product or service I think it's reasonable to expect a higher standard in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

swarlb wrote: »
    To be honest, it's very easy for them (BMW) to provide an impressive back up service.
    However I'd be pretty pissed off if my 2 year old car developed a fault that required a 'recall'. You'd expect a company with the reputation of 'BMW' to (at this stage) build reliable and bulletproof cars. They aint exactly 'cheap' to begin with.

In fairness, BMW didn't build the EGR cooler. They were supplied it by a different company. It's this company who are at fault and I have no doubt that they will have to reimburse BMW for the costs of this recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

swarlb wrote: »

Do yourself a favour and google which car manufacturer had the most recalls in 2019. You might be surprised.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In fairness, BMW didn't build the EGR cooler. They were supplied it by a different company. It's this company who are at fault and I have no doubt that they will have to reimburse BMW for the costs of this recall.

BMW bought the part though, and presumably did due diligence on it's quality?

Fitting it passes the blame I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Depends if it's faulty part or part being used out of spec and causing fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I tried to book our X5 in with Frank keane Blackrock at least 3 times and they never reverted. If the thing goes up in a ball of smoke I’ll be chasing FK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Wailin wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and google which car manufacturer had the most recalls in 2019. You might be surprised.

Yoy may also be surprised to find that the latest annual JD Power survey had BMW bottom of the table with regards reliability.

https://europe.jdpower.com/press-releases/2019-uk-vehicle-dependability-study

Judging by my own experience of the recall it's been handled particularly poorly by BMW. BMW UK have no visibility of where replacement parts are or the lead times of their own franchise availability to get the replacement fitted to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yoy may also be surprised to find that the latest annual JD Power survey had BMW bottom of the table with regards reliability.

https://europe.jdpower.com/press-releases/2019-uk-vehicle-dependability-study

Judging by my own experience of the recall it's been handled particularly poorly by BMW. BMW UK have no visibility of where replacement parts are or the lead times of their own franchise availability to get the replacement fitted to the car.

The 'JD Power' survey is pure nonsense. Sure we all check that before we go out and buy a car don't we?! If you were to go by that survey then no one would be buying BMW's, mercs, audis or even toyotas which all scored low. Toyota are one of the most reliable brands out there. But the JD Power survey is the bible lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Funnily enough my dad's Toyota Auris has had more recall work done than my 5 Series. He only brought it in about 3 weeks ago for something and then got another recall letter a week later for something else.

Reality is that there isn't a car brand out there that hasn't issued a recall at some point in time. Cars are packed with 100s if not 1000s of individual components that can be produced by 3rd party manufacturers as it's virtually impossible and not viable for any car manufacturer to produce every single component. Yes the car manufacturer is ultimately responsible for every component in their products, hence why they have to issue a recall rather than the company who produced the fault part. But they can only do so much due diligence however and certain things still fall outside of their control.

So got a call from frank Keane today. Expect the car to be ready tomorrow afternoon with the new EGR fitted.

Asked them to have a look at the speaker under the passenger seat making an annoying noise since car is under warranty anyway and he said no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Wailin wrote: »
    The 'JD Power' survey is pure nonsense. Sure we all check that before we go out and buy a car don't we?! If you were to go by that survey then no one would be buying BMW's, mercs, audis or even toyotas which all scored low. Toyota are one of the most reliable brands out there. But the JD Power survey is the bible lol.

You may be surprised to know that some people actually do considering the BMW are considerably ahead of the competition in that respect from the JD specs even below FIAT for 2019 which is particularly poor from a premium brand. Between the ERG cooler , the N47 timing chain and the swirl flaps in the era before that things exactly havent been going BMWs way regards realiablity.

My local BMW dealer here had to lease a compound due to the sheer amount of cars that were off to road and waiting for parts as there was no space at the dealership and that franchise wasnt an isolated case.

I have no idea of the amount of cars that were affected in Ireland but in the UK on the first recall in Oct 2018 it was approx 300k vehicles. Hence there was a massive strain on the supply chain and workshop availability. The recall for the later engine was announced discreetly in Oct 2019 presumably after they managed to work through the backlog yet BMW UK havent got a clue as to where has availability or parts for that matter.

Even with that the BMW tech was on overtime when mine was replaced last month as I dropped my car in late on a weekday.As a side note either they are that rushed or couldnt care less but they didnt bother clearing the logged fault codes when they removed the cooler.

497306.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

That's nonsense. BMW fitted the part, do they not test components prior to purchase. Could Russia possibly reimburse Fiat for the sub standard steel they provided in the 70's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭freddieot

If it's fitted by the BMW factory during construction of the car then it's their responsibility, not the supplier's . I'm sure they have Product Managers, Brand Managers, Quality Managers, Supply Chain Managers, Performance Managers and all the associated teams and departments. In short, part of the high price for a BMW, or any brand for that matter, is payment for them getting it right, not blaming their suppliers. That's the easy out option !

The EGR issue was a total disaster. I have now got rid of my X5 and will never touch the brand again after the experience that I had both with getting it diagnosed and fixed and with the Customer Service support or lack of it, later..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Even with that the BMW tech was on overtime when mine was replaced last month as I dropped my car in late on a weekday.As a side note either they are that rushed or couldnt care less but they didnt bother clearing the logged fault codes when they removed the cooler.

497306.png

I had the same issue when our car was done. Codes were present when I got the car back. I posted at the time as follows:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110787294&postcount=384

Advertisement