Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long do you girls expect to wait before marriage.

• 09-12-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

How long is too long?

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

What for what? Getting a job, a house, buying car?
    Oh wait, dowry maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

Not every woman is waiting for a proposal... we are all different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What for what? Getting a job, a house, buying car?
    Oh wait, dowry maybe...

What I want to know is why he was thanked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

According to a recent thread here the woman decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

What I want to know is why he was thanked ?

Just a question. What's the problem? I think it should happen when both people feel it should happen.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Take a chance you stupid ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

They probably all have different ideas. You know what women are like. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

Eh a lot more important things than marriage. P.S guys sometimes what marriag more than women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When it gets to 3rd base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

When they settle that you're the best they are going to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

Snotty wrote: »
    When they settle that you're the best they are going to get

Apt user name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well if you don't want to be the middle-aged unmarried of the family telling some maudling story one Christmas, of how you nearly got married in your youth but it just went on too long before you make your move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mariaalice wrote: »
    Well if you don't want to be the middle-aged unmarried of the family telling some maudling story one Christmas, of how you nearly got married in your youth but it just went on too long before you make your move.

or you could be middle aged telling a story how you nearly got married but then you came to your senses and are now living a great life.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

When it gets to 3rd base.

When theres a promotion and talk of property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That's a dream for many. Imagine not wasting your money on a wedding. Not having to pay maintenance to Sandra the Scumbag (first wife) for little Roxy and Chantelle. Your Charistmas story could be about how much spare cash you have. Sure to be a hit with the family and a valuable lesson for the younger ones.

That's a dream for many. Imagine not wasting your money on a wedding. Not having to pay maintenance to Sandra the Scumbag (first wife) for little Roxy and Chantelle. Your Charistmas story could be about how much spare cash you have. Sure to be a hit with the family and a valuable lesson for the younger ones.

And yet marriage is so popular is everyone being fooled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

They probably all have different ideas. You know what women are like. :rolleyes:

Oh, no we don't! :pac:

An interesting thought, M. Is marriage the opium of the people? It used to be religion and it was football in the 90's for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Seriously, do none of the women in your life pay their own way??

An interesting thought, M. Is marriage the opium of the people? It used to be religion and it was football in the 90's for a while.

Im sure there are some who think it will fix everything for them but mostly its knowing when its hard going and life throws lots of crap at you, this other person has your back its a circle where no one else can enter.

• Advertisement

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Seriously, do none of the women in your life pay their own way??

I never said they don't, I was speaking hypothetically. An interesting assumption to make though. In the case of a wedding it would be the bride's father usually, not the bride who pays. As outdated as that may be. Then, it is an outdated concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

She may be a scum bag but any man not paying maintenance for their kids is a fcukin absolute degenerate, you shouldn't complain about giving money to sandra for your kids

Im sure there are some who think it will fix everything for them but mostly its knowing when its hard going and life throws lots of crap at you, this other person has your back its a circle where no one else can enter.

I agree but do you need a marriage cert for that to be the case?

I would add, I've seen plenty of marriages where someone else has indeed, "entered".

She may be a scm bag but any man not paying maintenance for their kids is a fcukin absolute degenerate, you shouldn't complain about giving money to sandra for your kids

But you don't know Sandra, S. She's rough as a cat's tongue. The kids are little feckers. She has them hopped up on Haribo the whole time. I'm fairly sure she spends the maintnence on gear for herself and the other lad. To clarify, the other lad may also be the father of the kids but he doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

But you don't know Sandra, S. She's rough as a cat's tongue. The kids are little feckers. She has them hopped up on Haribo the whole time. I'm fairly sure she spends the maintnence on gear for herself and the other lad. To clarify, the other lad may also be the father of the kids but he doesnt work.

So you're paying maintenance on someone else's kids potentially, or did i miss the sarcasm in the quoted post(apologies if i did :o)

I agree but do you need a marriage cert for that to be the case?

I would add, I've seen plenty of marriages where someone else has indeed, "entered".

Have you evey heard the quote...The price of eveything and the value of noting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Have you evey heard the quote...The price of eveything and the value of noting .

What has that quote got to do with marriage? :confused:

My partner and I have been together for 8 years next month. We built a life together and we have been through a lot together - family bereavements, redundancy, both of us taking a turn being mature students, being smashed broke etc. etc. but we have always had eachother's backs. He can always make me laugh and I feel like the luckiest person in the world - I go home to the love of my life, the beautiful house we scrimped and saved for years for and our recently adopted rescue dog. I don't want to sound smug, it just strikes me that some would consider our relationship a lesser one because we didn't sign a piece of paper.

I get marriage is important to some people, but we have had different priorities. I still don't think I'll be that Christmas spinster you described any time soon :p

Marriage is just a bit of paper.

The relationship is a different thing and it requires not just dropping your clothes but dropping all the pretense as well, letting someone see the real you, that is hard for a lot of people the cynicism is a protective blanket.

Watch a good version of A Christmas carol, after many years of engagement scrooge's finance, releases him from the engagement becaue she realise his love of money was more than his love of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

20Wheel wrote: »
    How long is too long?

I don't expect marriage. I just want the diamond.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hmmm a year.

THEN OFF WITH HIS HEAD! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Watch a good version of A Christmas carol, after many years of engagement scrooge's finance, releases him from the engagement becaue she realise his love of money was more than his love of her.

McDuck?

topper75 wrote: »
    McDuck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(1984_film)

I have seen a stage version which was very poignant without being sentimental.

Scrooge becomes engaged to a woman named Belle. However, the Ghost shows Scrooge how Belle left him when he chose his wealth over her. Finally the spirit shows Scrooge that Belle later married and had many children. Seeing what he had lost at the price of gaining his fortune,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Sheeple conforming to the norm. Of course there are people who want to get married but there are others who give into societal pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I've managed to make it five years so far anyway, should knock another few out of it please god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

It depends if you want to get married. If your interested in marrying someone and they likewise then I guess you should do it within 3 or 4 years. If your having any doubts beyond that then you should move to someone else or else just don't get married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if you really want to get married just make sure you dont marry someone who wont let you hang out with your friends, iv lost and am losing "friends" who have become spineless and you wont ever see them unless shes there as well, no lads nights out, no lads holidays etc pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if you really want to get married just make sure you dont marry someone who wont let you hang out with your friends, iv lost and am losing "friends" who have become spineless and you wont ever see them unless shes there as well, no lads nights out, no lads holidays etc pathetic.

This is it though. I could never in my right mind put some of my friends who have known me over 10, 15, 20 years as a non essential in my life.

Proper friends who have been through thick and thin with me. Seen me make terrible decisions, put up with me at low points and help me out of those low points. These relationships have in part made me who I am today. Continuing to be just as important albeit we're all busier but always make the time.

Why are some partners so dismissive of what some of these people mean to their OH. Just because you're not their life and sole focus?

That just says to me that your "partner" is not your partner. Not respecting your life, time to yourself and most importantly thinking they can hold dominion over you. Infact, dismissing most of your life as all white noise, that they are the one who is worthy of all your attention and time. Screams of a huge lack of respect and how important they deem you as a person.

Usually these people who act like that have a very unhealthy mindset. Focusing exclusively on their partner as their social outlet as well as emotional bastion. Put's alot of unhealthy pressure in a relationship.

Advertisement