Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a SNES cart flashed

• 09-12-2019 11:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Okay,
    So I don't have a SNES Everdrive but I do want a cart flashed with the New Super Mario Land binary.
    I have a Nintendo Power Super Famicom flash cart but no means to flash it.
    So, any suggestions how I might go about making a dedicated NSM Land cart for the Super Famicom??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It looks like it would be a whole lot cheaper/easier to get a Super Everdrive as it isn't straight forward if you are just looking for a one off re-program

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or get an eprom flashed with the .bin and pop it into a donor cart?

Thats the other option should you want a perm version of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Possible to build a DIY flasher for those Nintendo Power carts

https://github.com/sanni/cartreader

Although much easier to just fit a new eprom to a donor cart. Assuming this new games doesn't require any of the additional chips

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So... can anyone out there help with the following?
    1. An Eprom
    2. Flashing the Eprom
    3. Soldering the Eprom into a donor cart or fresh blank PCB

Cheeky git... I know...

• Advertisement

Let me look into it :)

Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So... can anyone out there help with the following?
    1. An Eprom
    2. Flashing the Eprom
    3. Soldering the Eprom into a donor cart or fresh blank PCB

Cheeky git... I know...
    As far as I know its a surface mounted eeprom, no one's going to enjoy that experience:D

Ah, even I could make a Mario RPG JPN->ENG cart - its more the prepping of the ROM I've never looked into and would be a 'suck it and see' only to find out if it works after its soldered in which could be annoying if yea get it wrong

That Mario Land is a 16Mb game so just need a suitable donor or repo cart to lash it onto.

These seem like decent enough repo carts to use, I'm sure others are available but saw these one first..
    https://www.tindie.com/products/mrtentacle/27c322-support-snes-repro-pcb-build-your-own-carts/

• Advertisement

That Mario Land is a 16Mb game so just need a suitable donor or repo cart to lash it onto.

These seem like decent enough repo carts to use, I'm sure others are available but saw these one first..
    https://www.tindie.com/products/mrtentacle/27c322-support-snes-repro-pcb-build-your-own-carts/

I'm sure I have a FIFA or something in a drawer!
    Let me know what components I need to pick up and I'll get them.
    This could be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

I remember a friend I use to go to school with in the early 90's, around 1992', he had equipment to re flash Sega cartridges. I use to think it was amazing. His father use to travel to Hong Kong for work a few times a year and he would bring back really interesting stuff like this. He flashed me a copy of Sonic 3. It worked great in my Megadrive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I’d be interested in getting 2 snes cartridges flashed.

Both rom hacks of Super Mario Kart. (Item hack and speedo hack)

This is a completely non pirate event as I’m willing to use copies of SMK for this purpose. The carts are needed for training towards next years world championship so any help here would be very much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

As a technical exercise, Super Mario Land on the SNES is interesting, but it's not very playable and they chose a terrible art style.

Advertisement